Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Scytze

Is Yamaha compass cpx-15s worth it?

Hello all. I'd like to get some help with this problem.

So my uncle is willing to sell his old Yamaha compass cpx-15 south and that hard case that came with it.
He's asking 700 from it and it's in excellent condition, no scratches or cracks. I'd like to know is it worth that much since I haven't never owned such a expensive guitar.
My only guitar is a pathetic Williams W-1010 and that cpx-15s sounds godly compared to my williams.
I tried to google it's price but I was only able to find some shops in US that were asking 1900$ from it and one australian shop that was asking over 4000$ from it.

Does anyone have experience of these CPX-15 series and is South inferior to North, West and East editions?

700 is quite lot for me but I'm willing to spend it for new guitar since I want some good guitar that I would love to play for many years to come.

Thanks for answers
Scytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

i've never seen ( or heard of one) until your post. there's just one on Ebay here in the states. it's a $950 BIN. it's in patticake's playground. it looks very interesting. i'm curious as to how it plays. i do like the flag fret markers, thats different.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

it's a laminate back and sides guitar, and while people speak well of the electronics, i suspect that the value is partly based on collectability. a lot of guys on the agf feel sort of sentimental about the older yamahas, and i'm sure they're not the only ones. my experience is that newer budget guitars tend to be better quality.

i suggest the op get out to some stores and play some other guitars, and see if he likes the sound of his uncle's or the ones in the stores better. i personally haven't been blown away by the cpx series guitars i've played, and for $700eu, you may be able to get an all solid acoustic electric. on the other hand, Scytze, if you have compared it to other guitars and you still love the CPX, there ya go.

brand new solid top acoustic electrics with round bodies and cutaways from yamaha for less $$$
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fjx720sc_na.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fjx730sc_na.htm

a crafter
http://www.thomann.de/gb/crafter_cute_qt_bk.htm

all solid guild (om size) for the same price as the uncle's guitar
http://www.thomann.de/gb/guild_f_130ce.htm

and an all solid tanglewood
http://www.thomann.de/gb/tanglewood_tw47e.htm
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Scytze

Thank you for answers.

For me it's not so big deal is the guitar acoustic or electric acoustic, I just wondered could it really be superior to others like some forums said.

So there's a little problem that makes me unable to test some of the guitars you suggested. That's because my local music stores sell guitars that are made by the following corporations:
- Farida
- Baton Rouge
- Sierra
- Art & Lutherie
- Godin
- Saga
- Simon & Patrick
- Yamaha
- Martin

So I'm not really able to test many guitars, mainly Yamaha ones. On finnish music marketplace there are deals like: "Yamaha LS-16 in excellent shape" for 550 (with soft case) and "Martin 000M + K&K pure mini both in excellent shape" for 650 (with hard case included). Are those good offers I should consider and test those guitars?

Just wondering since local stores have a really shabby range of guitars and they don't have Martin 000M or Yamaha LS-16 in their stores.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

well, if you're looking for comparisons, play some new martins just to get an idea of the tonal range - the x series are laminate b&s, but the 1 series and 15 series make nice comparisons.

btw, i live near probably 20 music stores, and i've never seen an L series yamaha in any of them, but i'd consider an LS-16 - it's all solid and i've heard good things about them from a lot of people. also it's got an englemann top, which is a little softer than sitka and has more overtones, and i like rosewood on a smaller body guitar. i'd definitely check it out.

the martin would be either a martin OM or a martin 000, and the OM or 000 should be followed by a - and a number like 1, 15, 16, 18, etc - so it would be martin 000-18, for example. and a used 15 or 16 series would be a nice guitar to own if it's been well treated.

if the store near you has art & lutherie and simon & patrick, do they have seagull?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Scytze

Well I tried to check that Martin sale notice and it said that it's this guitar http://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/613-000m.html

That's what it looks like in the sale notice http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/tori/728382.jpg?1361475096

I think it's older model since it's not sold in thomann atleast with that name.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any music store in 100km radius that would sell seagulls. Or at least none of friends know such a place :/
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

ah - it appears it was the pre-HPL laminate model. if you can find a used all-solid guitar, that would rock. also if your local music stores sell sagas, and you're looking for a 000-sized guitar, look for the all-solid blueridge br-143 or br-163, or compare the solid top br-43 and br-63's tone to your uncle's guitar. simon & patrick check the all-solid woodland pro models and the solid top songsmith folk. but really, play 'em all. especially the more expensive models. how they sound will give you a better idea of how your uncle's guitar stacks up.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Scytze

Thank you patticake from answers! I went and played some of those guitars you suggested that I was able to find in local music shops and after that I thought that my uncle's guitar wasn't so great after all
So I went to test also that LS16 that I earlier mentioned and I just felt love with it. I already promised to buy it after my next payday that's on the next Friday but I seem to have new problem now.

Do you know what hard case would be perfect for it? I have tried to google that stuff but I couldn't find anything at all I don't really know how to find that out even thought I spent hours on google and thomann :/
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i sure don't because when it's new, the LS16 comes with its own hard case. you might want to ask the folks at yamaha what hard care that is and whether you can buy it from them. otherwise ask at elderly instruments - they always seem to have case answers for me.

congrats on the LS16, and we wanna see pics when you get it home
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

yes ! pics pics pics !
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
CurtHawaiian

New here at ultimateGuitar and came across your thread. I think I can give you some insight on this series of guitars by Yamaha. But first I'm not sure about the cost your uncle is selling to you for, is 700 Euro about 900 US dollars? I bought my first brand new off the rack guitar back in 1998 and it was the Yamaha CPX 15 with a solid Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. When I bought the guitar it was a toss between a Alvarez all Koa guitar and a Martin Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides, the prices ranged from 1,300-1,600 dollars. It all came down to...first the sound and then how the neck felt when playing. Well my CPX 15 made the difference in both factors, especially the sound (strong bass with clear mid/highs), and now that its 15 yrs old it has only gotten better (side note, I still have the signed document of authenticity by the Japanese craftsman who built the guitar). The Spruce top is now a golden yellowish color which only adds to the elegant look of the guitar with its gold tuners and still high gloss finish. So the quality of this series is top notch being built at the time by Luthiers in Japan. Your uncle's model is the South? It has a solid Spuce top with White Sycamore back and sides, with a blue color and high gloss finish. It seems the price he is asking is about the lower range people are asking for. I'm not sure how the guitar sounds, did you have a chance to play it? From my experience with my guitar the quality and craftsmanship is there...you have to judge the sound and neck. I feel he being your uncle maybe he could give you a better price! Oh, the electronics is very good and flexible...my guitar sounds incredible plugged in too. Good luck in your decision. Curt
CurtHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytze
Thank you for answers.

For me it's not so big deal is the guitar acoustic or electric acoustic, I just wondered could it really be superior to others like some forums said.

So there's a little problem that makes me unable to test some of the guitars you suggested. That's because my local music stores sell guitars that are made by the following corporations:
- Farida
- Baton Rouge
- Sierra
- Art & Lutherie
- Godin
- Saga
- Simon & Patrick
- Yamaha
- Martin

So I'm not really able to test many guitars, mainly Yamaha ones. On finnish music marketplace there are deals like: "Yamaha LS-16 in excellent shape" for 550 (with soft case) and "Martin 000M + K&K pure mini both in excellent shape" for 650 (with hard case included). Are those good offers I should consider and test those guitars?

Just wondering since local stores have a really shabby range of guitars and they don't have Martin 000M or Yamaha LS-16 in their stores.

Faridas are really good guitars in my opinion. I own a Farida D-32 myself.
It's a lot of guitar for the money.
Top is Solid Red Cedar, Back and sides are Quilted Mahogany, Fingerboard is Rosewood.

Here: http://www.dawsons.co.uk/farida-d32...-guitar-natural

Scroll down till you see 'Specification' and have a look?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
snakestretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytze
Thank you patticake from answers! I went and played some of those guitars you suggested that I was able to find in local music shops and after that I thought that my uncle's guitar wasn't so great after all
So I went to test also that LS16 that I earlier mentioned and I just felt love with it. I already promised to buy it after my next payday that's on the next Friday but I seem to have new problem now.

Do you know what hard case would be perfect for it? I have tried to google that stuff but I couldn't find anything at all I don't really know how to find that out even thought I spent hours on google and thomann :/

The LS16 is a great guitar-all solid wood. Check to see if the case it originally came with is included in the price you're paying. (All new Yamaha L-series are supplied with cases).
Finding a well-fitting case might be a problem as the LS is a unique size and shape.
snakestretcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: