User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
akarith
Fingers or Bust

Thumbs up Building Drop Tuning Skills

Ello everyone,

I recently purchased a 5 string Schecter stiletto and quite fancy is, especially in combination with a big muff distortion. However, until acquiring this guitar, I have been playing in dominantly standard tuning, with a slight exception here and there for a Sabbath song or such.

Today I sat down and began trying to tab out Daughter of the Queen by Pantera (which I believe to be in D tuning, correct me if I'm wrong) and realized I have zero intuition with my new B string as I am not very well acquainted with it yet.

I am a lover of traditional heavy metal and doom metal, and was hoping for a few suggestions on songs that would help build my relationship with the B string, any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
henrihell

First of all, it's not drop tuning. It would be a drop tuning if you tuned the low B to A.
As for song suggestions, trivium has some fairly simple 5-string stuff. Look at songs from the crusade and shogun, and you might find some interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Logos_Ordum

You can keeping translating like you did with the Pantera Song. I did the same and some Songs are suddenly hard to Play, even more when you aren't trained in playing a 5 string.
The Bassplayer from Unearth uses a 5 String and Standart Tuning, maybe you can give it a try if you like their Music. They are considered to be a Metalcore Band but with alot of influences from heavy metal. Also Dir en Grey have some nice 5 String Songs like Hageshisa, to kone...
or Different Sense and Lotus. The rest that Comes in my mind are more Progressiv Bands and it's hard to learn. Maybe you can also learn Songs in Drop B like in Devildriver, Soulfly etc.
But talking about Pantera...doesn't Rex Brown also Switched to a 5 string after a certain time, like in Revolution is my Name?
Logos_Ordum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Zaqq

Even though you have a 5 string now, many songs are easier to play just by drop tuning the E string (e.g. to D) and ignoring the B string, especially if there are riffs which rely on open D or C a lot.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
akarith
Fingers or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos_Ordum
You can keeping translating like you did with the Pantera Song. I did the same and some Songs are suddenly hard to Play, even more when you aren't trained in playing a 5 string.
The Bassplayer from Unearth uses a 5 String and Standart Tuning, maybe you can give it a try if you like their Music. They are considered to be a Metalcore Band but with alot of influences from heavy metal. Also Dir en Grey have some nice 5 String Songs like Hageshisa, to kone...
or Different Sense and Lotus. The rest that Comes in my mind are more Progressiv Bands and it's hard to learn. Maybe you can also learn Songs in Drop B like in Devildriver, Soulfly etc.
But talking about Pantera...doesn't Rex Brown also Switched to a 5 string after a certain time, like in Revolution is my Name?

Thank you for your input, I'll be looking into a few of those artists, and learning some devil driver wouldn't be too difficult either I don't think, so I appreciate the suggestions.
On the topic of Rex; I know he uses a 5 string on occasion, for instance in Domination he uses it in the final chorus, but only plays 2 notes on it and the rest is in standard. I think it has to do with him compensating for Dimebag's inability to stick with a tuning haha.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
corrda00
Unregistered User

3rd frett is Open D. That fret will be your friend.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: