Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #441
pitch154

Hey guys, I'm looking to get something to record some guitar stuff. I dont really know anything about anything when it comes to recording devices and cables and whatnot. Wondering if you guys could help me out? Looking for something thats easy to use and really cheap. Not looking to break the bank (university student), just something that will let me record some tracks. Wondering if someone could help me and tell me everything that I'd need to get this done

Thanks
pitch154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #442
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

I don't wanna be rude or anything, but did you read the first 4 posts of this thread?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #443
Mason Bruce

This is great information. Just what I needed to know about getting started recording my first song, thanks! I think I'm going to go with the scarlet 2i4.

Last edited by Mason Bruce : 05-12-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Mason Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #444
6-String_Madman

Hi Guys! I would like to hear your opinion on my current guitar recording setup and would ask for any suggestions to improve it a bit. Here's my chain:

Guitar > Vox AD15VT (modeller amp) > M-Audio Fast Track > Adobe Audition 3.0

Cheers!
6-String_Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #445
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-String_Madman
Hi Guys! I would like to hear your opinion on my current guitar recording setup and would ask for any suggestions to improve it a bit. Here's my chain:

Guitar > Vox AD15VT (modeller amp) > M-Audio Fast Track > Adobe Audition 3.0

Cheers!

I'd ditch the valvetronix from your chain, just go direct. The only time I've heard decent sounds for recording from one is a VT40+ that was modified to take external cabinets and we mic'd it up. And even then it was only comparable to software amp sims.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #446
nuithari

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, but first time poster here :P

I'd like to start recording my guitar on my pc. But I got a limited budget. Let's say I have about 100 euros to spend.

From the OP, only the Line6 Studio GX is at around that price. But from my experience with line 6 (I have a Spider 3) I'd like to avoid them. (Unless you guys say it's really a good DI for that budget)

How about the Steinberg CI1, is this good? Or is there anything else that you'd recommend in that price range or am I really just better off spending 80 euros more and getting the Scarlett 2i4?

Important for me, is that I can monitor from reaper, with the effects on, without noticable latency. Is that even possible? (It is what Line6 claims to be able to do on their gx)

Thanks

Last edited by nuithari : 07-04-2014 at 08:48 AM.
nuithari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #447
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Don't compare the rest of Line 6's products to your Spider, that's known as one of the worst amps ever but most of the rest of their range is quite good.

That said, if you can afford the extra for the Scarlett, it's worth investing extra - always remember, buy cheap = buy twice. Possibly check ebay for used ones, that should make it more affordable.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #448
JohnProphet

maybe a dumb question but...

so I have a focusrite214 that I haven't unboxed yet. As far as final audio output to the monitors, is that going to come thru my computer headphone jack or will that come back thru the focusrite?

The reason I am asking is because my comp headphone jack is loose and u have to hold the cable down to her both channels lol.
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #449
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

If you use the 2i4 as audio output device, the audio will come out of it and you'll have no need for loose headphones jacks whatsoever.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #450
JohnProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
If you use the 2i4 as audio output device, the audio will come out of it and you'll have no need for loose headphones jacks whatsoever.

ok, you are talking about doing that in reaper (just for recording purposes), or in windows (for everything)?

the comp will be used for recording and general use, I only have 1 comp at the moment
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #451
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet
ok, you are talking about doing that in reaper (just for recording purposes), or in windows (for everything)?
Whatever you prefer - either only one or both.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #452
Biffman

Hi there everyone, just a quick question regarding interfaces. At the moment I am running from a Studio Projects VTB1 tube preamp directly into my pc via a jack to mini jack converter using my onboard realtek HD audio drivers. Now because the VTB1 is not an interface is me going directly into my pc bottle necking it? If so I have recently stumbled upon the Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer/interface which seems like exactly what I'd need for a basic interface because its relatively inexpensive and I'll be using the VTB1 preamp through it. Anyone have any experience with this? And would it be a worth while investment?
Biffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 AM   #453
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffman
Hi there everyone, just a quick question regarding interfaces. At the moment I am running from a Studio Projects VTB1 tube preamp directly into my pc via a jack to mini jack converter using my onboard realtek HD audio drivers. Now because the VTB1 is not an interface is me going directly into my pc bottle necking it? If so I have recently stumbled upon the Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer/interface which seems like exactly what I'd need for a basic interface because its relatively inexpensive and I'll be using the VTB1 preamp through it. Anyone have any experience with this? And would it be a worth while investment?

It would definitely be better than using the method you're currently using, if only because you won't be at risk of damaging your PC.

Have you read through the recommendations on the first page?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #454
Biffman

I have yes, just wanted to clarify due to it not being guitar di into the pc. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
Biffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #455
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

What do I use to record both drums and a live band? Generally speaking 9+ inputs?

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #456
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

No audio interface with more than 8 inputs have pre's, so you'll need two interfaces or one interface + a unit with pre's and a digital output.

My first choice on the relatively cheap would be two mackie onyx blackbird's or one of them + a behringer ADA8200.

Or, if budget's a problem, do some research and try some stuff and use up to 8 mic's so you can get away with one interface only.

Rate This Thread: