Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
stratforlife

should I upgrade pick ups?

so I have this Fender Squire Bullet Strat , yeah I know call me cheapskate or whatever the hell you want. I dont know anything 'bout this elctronic upgrading thing so I made this thread. I'm really into funk music , I love Red hot chili peppers and one thing that I know is to sound like John Frusciante is to get a single coil. I kind of do not like the bridge pick up 'cause its too bright for me. should I replace it or what? and if I will what pick ups should I get? and suggestions for upgrading other parts? thank you for your help. peace and love
stratforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
m33sta

Without a decent amp changing pickups will make little difference.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I wouldn't spend more money on upgrades than on your guitar (unless you know exactly what you are doing). And in this case almost any upgrade will cost almost as much as your guitar. What amp do you have? It makes a big difference.

Also, bridge pickups are always bright, especially if they are single coils. You could try turning your tone down (though I don't know if it works on your guitar - sometimes the tone knob on Strats doesn't affect the bridge pickup). Or maybe turn down the treble on your amp.

Maybe save some money and buy a better guitar. Or a better amp. That's why I wouldn't spend that much money on a cheap guitar. It will only delay your later gear purchases that would make more difference.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-28-2013 at 05:31 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
RJH11
Tone chaser

+1to above
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
stratforlife

so practically you're suggesting that I should focus more on buying a better amp? can you give me some decent little practice amps?
stratforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
RJH11
Tone chaser

Peavey vyper,Vox valvetronix
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
m33sta

Considering the genre you like to play have a look at Fender mustang and Vox valvetronix.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
wingchern

Just to go against the grain I have a Squier Affinity Strat that had horrible pickups and I upgraded the pickups to a full size Seymour Duncan 59 and Seymour Duncan Distortion (required a bit of "customisation" as it was wasn't routed for full size humbuckers). Now it sounds like a completely different guitar, a huge improvement in fact. I can get some pretty great tones out of it from both my small amp (Marshall MG10) and my bigger amp (Marshall AVT50). If your amp is rubbish I would probably change that aswell, as both are important to the sound.

As for the Frusciante sound, maybe get a set of vintage voiced single coils. I heard he uses 10s for strings.

Last edited by wingchern : 10-29-2013 at 09:05 AM.
wingchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchern
Just to go against the grain I have a Squier Affinity Strat that had horrible pickups and I upgraded the pickups to a full size Seymour Duncan 59 and Seymour Duncan Distortion (required a bit of "customisation" as it was wasn't routed for full size humbuckers). Now it sounds like a completely different guitar, a huge improvement in fact. I can get some pretty great tones out of it from both my small amp (Marshall MG10) and my bigger amp (Marshall AVT50). If your amp is rubbish I would probably change that aswell, as both are important to the sound.

As for the Frusciante sound, maybe get a set of vintage voiced single coils. I heard he uses 10s for strings.

Of course the pickups make a difference. But IMO it's just better to save the money and spend it on a better guitar and amp. In the future you won't be playing your starter pack guitar any more so I see no point in spending money on upgrades.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: