Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
SilverSpurs616
AKA VypyrVai
 
SilverSpurs616's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
replacing a guitar neck

Hey all

I have a JS100 which I like but it has has 22 frets, and I really don't like that part. Is it practical to replace the neck with a 24 fret one? What things do I need to be aware of?
__________________

Ibanez RG1527 - Dimarzio Air Norton 7 & Evo 7
[BIbanez RG1XXV[/B]
LTD EC256 /w EMG 81/60
Elixir Strings - Dunlop Petrucci Jazz picks

www.youtube.com/user/VypyrVai
SilverSpurs616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Pretty sure you can't just slap a 24 fret neck on. It changes the scale length of the guitar and the intonation will not be right.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Pretty sure you can't just slap a 24 fret neck on. It changes the scale length of the guitar and the intonation will not be right.

It needn't change the scale length, as the first 22 frets could be exactly the same.
If anything, the issue would be the location of the neck pickup rout, and the fretboard(not the neck) would be longer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
__________________
Gibson, Peavey, Washburn, Ibanez and Comic Saaaans

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Yea, I just reread what I wrote.
What I meant was the scale length and number of frets aren't related in a "more frets = longer scale length" way. You can fit 24 frets into a 25" scale just as easily as 22 or 21, only some 24 fret bodies have the neck pickup moved closer to the bridge, so that the last frets don;t overhang the cavity.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Yea, I just reread what I wrote.
What I meant was the scale length and number of frets aren't related in a "more frets = longer scale length" way. You can fit 24 frets into a 25" scale just as easily as 22 or 21, only some 24 fret bodies have the neck pickup moved closer to the bridge, so that the last frets don;t overhang the cavity.


I didn't mean to imply that more frets = longer scale length. I was thinking the 24th would be where the 22nd was thus lengthening the fretboard. Does a 24 fret neck always have the 23rd and 24th frets overhanging onto the body? I will be the first to admit I'm no expert when it comes to the actual building of guitars.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Does a 24 fret neck always have the 23rd and 24th frets overhanging onto the body?

No. Set neck and neck-through guitars don't.
__________________
Gibson, Peavey, Washburn, Ibanez and Comic Saaaans

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Looking at the JS100, it almost look like you could fit a 24 fret neck on it if you were to cut away part of the humbucker ring and chisel out that piece of wood between the neck and pickup. But even then it'd be pretty close, and you'd probably have to cut the neck down or remove the pickup.

It's not a particularly nice or expensive guitar. Just sell it and buy and RG, or trade for one.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.