Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Usernames sucks

What do you think about how technologic metal is/ has become?

Hi. Im a musician who plays all kinds of music, but alot of it is metal. In the last 10 years or so, it seems like metal has become more and more technological based. Like alot of metal drummers use triggers instead of the real sound of the kick drum, alot of bands use amp modelers instead of amps (axe fx, pod etc), amp simulator vsts on albums, 4+ channel amps live (for those who use real amps), have the drummer play to a click live in a premade protools session with backingtracks etc... This goes not only for metal, but alot of music. What do you think about it? Do you like it or not? Sorry if i sound wierd, and i know this isnt the case for everyone, but it seems to be more and more common.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
hardcore81
licensed douchebag

of all the metal bands i've seen the one that stands out most in this manner is the devin townsend project. everything's triggered, the axe fx are run straight into the soundboard, they have all the backing samples and choirs and vocals and all that jazz. it sounds great on the record, sure, but live it's so loud that you can't hear all that extra shit anyways.

My band's Facebook

My band's Bandcamp

My band's Youtube

My Youtube channel

My doom project
hardcore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Dayn

It's excellent.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
amonamarthmetal

I see no problems.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
Usernames sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore81
of all the metal bands i've seen the one that stands out most in this manner is the devin townsend project. everything's triggered, the axe fx are run straight into the soundboard, they have all the backing samples and choirs and vocals and all that jazz. it sounds great on the record, sure, but live it's so loud that you can't hear all that extra shit anyways.

Yeah, i absolutely love devin townsends music, but its getting so syntetic i think live. Instead of having musicians "jamming" and recreating stuff live with the instruments, its rather going to a click in a protools session. If you see pink floyd etc, it is actual humans playing all sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
GoldenGuitar

It doesn't matter if a sound is created by a human or a computer. The only thing that matters is if you like it or not.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
It doesn't matter if a sound is created by a human or a computer. The only thing that matters is if you like it or not.

Completely agree. Sometimes computer generated sounds fit the music better than "real" instrument sounds. If you don't like them, then maybe you should listen to something else. There is lots of music without any computer generated sounds. But I wouldn't decide not to listen to a song just because it has computer generated sounds.

"Do you like it or not?"

Well, I like it if it sounds good and I don't like it if it sounds bad.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 10-06-2013 at 08:52 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
nemjeff13

It can clean up the sounds. In the end it's either a good song or not. Pink Floyd put all kinds of effects in there. The Who play with backing tracks and Townsend created computer sounds in studio. It's nothing new. I don't like it when they try to turn bad songs into good ones by adding cheap sounding effects and it still sounds like a weak song with poor melodies.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

What exactly is the issue? I personally find it better than when a metal band records what amounts to a bad demo in terms of quality, calls it "professional quality", and releases it as their new LP.

"$10 for our shitty-sounding new LP! ROCK ON!"

Yeah, no...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
the glue man
beep

Usernames Suck, "alot" is actually two distinct words.

Digital sounds fit different sounds better. It's UP TO YOU! Your voice, your expression.
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Have no issue with it, whatever sounds better and produces the sound the artist wants to produce. It's getting more and more like that, instruments being swapped with VSTs because of either performance or flexibility (they're easily changed, a real recording isn't). It will be interesting to see what metal will sound like in 20 years, sort of expecting a significant change in how guitars sound with these virtual amps being relatively new and currently improving a ton very fast. See no problem with it.
At the same time, some of my favorite albums of all time don't have the greatest sound quality and aren't played (or sung) perfectly. There's something special and authentic about that.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: