Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #64301
ron666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
Yeah, but Australia won. You can sue your government, but normally that happens in the domestic courts. You can only sue them for abuse of power, not for the actual laws that are in place. This changes the whole system. It just says: wowowowowow, you want us to not dump toxic waste in this river? Yeah, we disagree with that law! It would negatively affect our profits, so either you fully compensate us for POTENTIAL lost profits or you **** off. Under TPP they would win this case, and it would make any environmental or health laws completely void.

Good point. The TPP is bad because it was negotiated in secret, but the other bad point is that they can sue a country in "secret tribunals." And the tribunal members can choose whatever laws they want.

So the conclusion is this: these tribunals can violate a country's sovereignty. This is why I am bitterly opposed.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #64302
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator

Well, the article outlined what exactly is bad about the TPP for the US. Namely that the US government has done little to insulate your country for what would likely result in the decline in demand for domestic low-skilled workers. Granted, it has been going on for what amounts to decades, but when a government is overtly complicit in it, they would need to address that elephant in the room.

Also ignoring the fact nobody actually really even knows what this is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
Yeah, but Australia won.

I don't believe Australia won. It's just that transnational suing under US-AU FTA is prohibited so they backed down on that front. Since the plain packaging law, they've been trying to exert pressure via proxy. I believe right now the Marlboro company has restructured themselves as a Hong Kong firm to approach it there. I'll put this out there in saying that the TPP sets to undermine all of the tangible, real progress made in the reduction of smoking.

Last edited by Cianyx : 06-29-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: