Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

That music has nothing to do with black metal besides sounding like it

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.

Last edited by The Wildchild : 06-10-2014 at 04:25 PM.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
HamburgerBoy

No, you can very much make a direct lineage from Emperor to, say, a Limbonic Art. Prefixed black metal is wholly the responsibility of corruptors of true metal values like ANUS who praise the influences of martial industrial and neoclassical darkwave and other forms of decadent non-metal. While they may not approve those "third-wave" bands themselves, they created the conditions that led to their permeation of metal via the acceptance of progenitors like Burzum.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #23
The Wildchild
Ketä sä rakastat

Only in a matter of aesthetic

Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #24
HamburgerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildchild
Only in a matter of aesthetic

Black metal, more than any other metal sub-genre, is defined by aesthetic, so yeah, obviously.
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #25
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I think HamburgerBoy is just countering NotFromAnus' statement for shock value.

This may or may not be true, but is ultimately irrelevant to whether or not his point is valid. His points aren't exactly original or isolated. There are various perspectives about how diluted metal can become by outside influence. For example, some people reject any punk influenced metal as corrupt and lacking in the appropriate romantic spirit necessary for metal to work as an art-form. Such people would essentially reject anything but traditional heavy metal and doom metal.

I won't presume anything but what Mr. Hamburger has said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
Black metal = a marketing gimmick invented by make-up wearing basement dwellers to sell their shitty knock-off speed metal and "dark ambient" to unsuspecting fools

How literally do you mean to say this? The outright marketing of black metal didn't really formally occur until Cradle of Filth.

Quote:
Very good counter-examples, to be fair. I was thinking more along the lines of your average post-Emperor and any other number of "symphonic" black metal bands that eschew any semblance of quality riffing in favor of fruity choirs and keyboards. Like, even if some of them tremolo-pick and blast all the way through, they often simply take the very basics found in black metal and use them as a skeleton to coat with non-metal fluff.

Post-Emperor implies post Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal (all pre-Emperor), Beherit, and Enslaved (contemporaneous with Emperor). These are the major figures of black metal outside of the progenitors. Are you questioning the validity of the artistic output of these bands? If not, then you aren't saying anything particularly controversial. The Dark Legions Archive posits that Black Metal ended in 1994.

Quote:
No, you can very much make a direct lineage from Emperor to, say, a Limbonic Art. Prefixed black metal is wholly the responsibility of corruptors of true metal values like ANUS who praise the influences of martial industrial and neoclassical darkwave and other forms of decadent non-metal. While they may not approve those "third-wave" bands themselves, they created the conditions that led to their permeation of metal via the acceptance of progenitors like Burzum.

You can make a direct lineage from Exhorder to Pantera. Namely, Pantera stole Exhorder's sound. You can hardly blame Exhorder for this.

Hell, you can trace almost any metal band to Black Sabbath. You can certainly trace any number of terrible bands to influences who were metal giants. This isn't really saying anything in itself. How was the Norwegian scene notably more corrupting?
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: