Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

modding my squier thread no#16273890

hey guys,
recently got an ibanez rg3xxv with dimarzio pups. I am really pleased with the tone-it sounds great!
however i am not so pleased with the clean-blues rock tones. This thing does classic rock and up great-but the low gain is sub par.
therefore i am gonna mod my squier with new pups, a new bridge and possibly new tuners.
Which pups would you recommend? My entire budget is 100- so i was looking at some used tex mex's for 50.
I was mainly looking at wilkinson bridges. which tremolo would fit this http://www.fender.com/en-GB/product...quier-sp-10-amp
guitar?
BTW-I use a Fender Mustang 1 and (primarily) a Laney VC15. I am planning on buying a bad monkey- would this get is into prog metal territory? (I know this probably belongs in GG&A)

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Kyleisthename

If you're going to try and aim under 100. I definitely wouldn't be looking at name brand replacement parts. I don't know of a website like guitarfetish in the UK but it would definately be worth trying to go for budget parts.
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Last edited by Kyleisthename : 12-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
justaginger

I have no idea about the bridge, but for pickups at that price, you need to look into some irongears

http://www.irongear.co.uk/
I only have experience with the humbuckers, but they are amazing quality for the price of them
justaginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Reisgar42
Howyehdoin?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wilkinson uses a completely unique routing for their tremolos, I don't think you're going to find anything that goes straight onto a vintage six-point setup. Kyleisthename is right, look for just budget parts. Maybe keep the bridge itself but switch out the block. Honestly if that's the whole size of your budget, I'd probably suggest replacing the tuners instead of the bridge.
Reisgar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

wow guys thanks for the quick replies
justaginger-thanks i will look at irongear-who sells them?
Kyleisthename-thanks i don't think there is
Reisgar42- ye i really would prefer even a cheap trem cos my trem arm broke and i like to be able to use it subtlely- replacing the trem arm is not an option as half of it is inside the bridge's 'socket' thingy.
thanks guys

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
captainsnazz
pigeon~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaginger
I have no idea about the bridge, but for pickups at that price, you need to look into some irongears

http://www.irongear.co.uk/
I only have experience with the humbuckers, but they are amazing quality for the price of them

+10000000 for Iron Gear.
I used their Pig Iron (single coil) pickups in my own cheap strat and they're bloody brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000
thanks i will look at irongear-who sells them?

http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_069.htm
Clicking the shop links on irongear's own site will take you to axetec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig

Last edited by captainsnazz : 12-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
justaginger

Here's a link to the texas loco they offer
http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_094.htm

Edit:
They also have some strat bridges on there for about 25-30 too I think

Last edited by justaginger : 12-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.
justaginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
LeviMan_2001

I just got a set of GFS Vintage alnico staggers and they sound fantastic. What kind of tone are you looking for? Obviously strat, but like stevie ray vaughn used texas specials (what the tex-mex try to replicate) while john mayer uses more vintage or maybe even underwound pickups. The hotter texas pickups will have a more pronounced midrange and of course simply be higher output, while the 'vintage' or less hot pickups will not have as pronounced of a midrange and of course have less output.

Last edited by LeviMan_2001 : 12-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.
LeviMan_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: