Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
JamieFinch

Help with fuzzy pedal chain?

I'm getting a lot of fuzz and crackling from my amp when using my pedal board. It's gotten considerably worse since I got my digitech whammy. I think a new crackling sound has developed from my OCD too :/

I'm guessing it's mostly because of cheap ass patch leads? But is there anything else I could do with?
Attached Images

JamieFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

The problem is probably not the OCD. I'm gonna point fingers at the cheap cables and possibly your Whammy depending on how you're powering it.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
JamieFinch

Powering all pedals with the default Boss BCB power chain and that Whammy with a 9v power supply that came with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

cables would be the first place i'd look for crackle, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
cables would be the first place i'd look for crackle, yeah.

This.

But my brother used to have problems with that too, until he noticed that one of the jacks on his pedals was a bit loose. Nothing that a little bit of twist couldn't handle, so check out that too just in case.

Other than that, the cheap cables can easily "break" without you noticing it. Happened to my power supply and to my brother's expensive Cordial cable. The power supply was done for, but gladly a new plug fixed the cable. Would have hated to have a quality cable break down after 2 years of not so hardcore use. More like rehearsal and home use.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

oh yeah, i mean i'm not saying the cables are the only thing- as you said, it could easily be the jack sockets on the pedals or something like that.

just he admitted he had cheaper cables, and cheap cables tend to crackle and generally be noisy. plus he's noticing it with several pedals.

so, first stop, better cables. that might solve the problems. If not, it doesn't hurt to have decent cables anyway, and you can move on to troubleshoot other causes of the problem.

Quote:

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
marianoarnaiz

Have you tried the pedals separately? Perhaps one of them is giving problems. Cables might be a problem (as already pointed out) or your guitar jack or amp input. It also happens that some amps don't like some pedals....
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
JamieFinch

I've tried all sorts of different combinations or leads and individual pedals etc but the clicking noise is still there :/

Could it be a problem with the BCB's power supply?

Should I just invest in a Boss NS-2? (As well as better cables further down the line).
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
JamieFinch

Actually, the clicking noise comes from the digitech whammy. But what is weird...is that if I put my tuner at the start of the chain, the clicking goes. Anybody know why this is?

I'd like to keep it as the tuner coming after the whammy (through the dry line) and the rest of the board coming from the wet line of the whammy. But I guess if I put the tuner first to make the clicking stop that isn't the end of the world.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFinch
I've tried all sorts of different combinations or leads and individual pedals etc but the clicking noise is still there :/

Could it be a problem with the BCB's power supply?

Should I just invest in a Boss NS-2? (As well as better cables further down the line).

i wouldn't bother with an ns2- solve the problem, don't fork out more money for half-assed fixes for the problem which will only treat the symptoms.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
dreid77447

make sure u use quality cables (no cheap $1.99 shit-- go with either monster or mogami), and make sure the inputs on your pedals aren't loose and go ahead and keep the tuner first in the chain if it's taking away the noise having the whammy pedal was giving you
dreid77447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wouldn't bother with an ns2- solve the problem, don't fork out more money for half-assed fixes for the problem which will only treat the symptoms.

This. A noise gate may or may not be of use in general but in this case you've got to sort out you problem pedals. Some pedals don't do well with a noise gate after them in the chain. YMMV but sticking my overdrive pedal before my noise gate mucked up my sound. If you were to find out the noise was coming from your overdrive or another pedal that doesn't do well being fed into a noise gate (i.e. delay), then the gate is a waste.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFinch
Actually, the clicking noise comes from the digitech whammy. But what is weird...is that if I put my tuner at the start of the chain, the clicking goes. Anybody know why this is?

I'd like to keep it as the tuner coming after the whammy (through the dry line) and the rest of the board coming from the wet line of the whammy. But I guess if I put the tuner first to make the clicking stop that isn't the end of the world.

the tuner should be the first thing on the board.

isolate every pedal, cable, and check the power supply. i would take a DVOM meter with the power block on read the voltage its putting out. one on the inside one on the outside check them all.

are there any florescent lights where you are? is there a microwave close? do you have good power?

i have heard that whammys suck some tone, maybe you should get/build a bypass box for it.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: