Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

Resting guitar on left leg sitting down

I am a right hander and I have always rested the guitar on my right leg because it was initially how I thought was more comfortable.

I switched to playing on the left leg and I can only see advantages of it and I think that the right leg is an inferior position. With the left, it feels more natural when you are standing playing guitar (which most people want to do anyway in live situations) and it is easier to reach high bends and barre chords. Only downfall is that it does feel a little more natural resting on right leg vs left for the guitar when starting out, but in the end it's what you want to end up getting your hands to do on the instrument.

Anyone else agree that left leg is better in the long run and anyone who switched from right leg to left glad they made that switch?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
MaaZeus

I always found the guitar on right leg position (western position?) very unnatural. I couldnt find good angles for my fretting hand and it just started to hurt my right shoulder. Looking for help to this issue I found out about the classical position you are describing.

With a snap of the finger my issues were gone. It felt natural right from the start. So yes, classical position for life. Maybe I could have fixed the issues I had with the western position, but I see no point trying. With classical posture the guitar is in same spot sitting down and standing up, it simplifies things so much and just feels good.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I sit with my guitar on my left leg, in the "classical" way. Left foot is placed on a foot stand. That way my guitar is in the exact same position when i sit down and practice as when i stand up and play live. I am also able to have a much more straight arm and wrist posture and a better angle with my right arm.

In my opinion the classical way is far superior to any other way when it comes to practicing guitar, but that's just for me. My advice on these kind of stuff is always "Try it and see what works best for you", as long as none of them make you feel too much tension or strain or make you feel pain, they are not bad, but one might be more benefitial to your certain needs and your way of playing.

So yeah, guitar on left leg is the way to go in my opinion. It makes more sense to me, it's one of the changes to my way of practice i appreciate the most, cause it has benefited other things like developing technique faster being able to relax easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 05-22-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
I sit with my guitar on my left leg, in the "classical" way. Left foot is placed on a foot stand. That way my guitar is in the exact same position when i sit down and practice as when i stand up and play live. I am also able to have a much more straight arm and wrist posture and a better angle with my right arm.

In my opinion the classical way is far superior to any other way when it comes to practicing guitar, but that's just for me. My advice on these kind of stuff is always "Try it and see what works best for you", as long as none of them make you feel too much tension or strain or make you feel pain, they are not bad, but one might be more benefitial to your certain needs and your way of playing.

So yeah, guitar on left leg is the way to go in my opinion. It makes more sense to me, it's one of the changes to my way of practice i appreciate the most, cause it has benefited other things like developing technique faster being able to relax easier.

Yep there is no doubt the classical position is by far the most comfortable,its only disadvantage is that it doesnt look cool and electric guitarists are known to be heavy posers so ........
Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
sweetdude3000

Thanks guys. I think I'll switch to continue practicing with left leg from now on. It does feel more comfortable on the hands and plus that's how it is standing up so it's a no brainer. I guess the right leg thing is one of those things people see the crowd doing so they copy it but just because the crowd is doing it, doesn't mean it's the best method.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

I have to rest on Left because im deaf in the right ear, if its on the Right leg I hear the guitar(in this case Acoustic) a bit muffled. Also find this position more comfortable, now if I'm just screwing around ya I'll do the western right leg thing.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Yep there is no doubt the classical position is by far the most comfortable,its only disadvantage is that it doesnt look cool and electric guitarists are known to be heavy posers so ........

Exactly.

I think I just copied other players and I suppose right knee makes sense for acoustic when strumming, so I got used to that when I picked up electric guitar later. Then, I got so comfortable with right knee, I never made the switch.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

I play both classical and electric guitar in both ways. I'm constantly switching positions.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Gravenous

So I switched to classical position recently, due to uncomfortable picking in the other one, however I feel my fretting hand wrist is a lot more crooked in classical. I don't even understand how it's possible, but it is.

My hand instinctively bends at the wrist for greater reach, somehow. I go into really heavy thumb-behind-the-neck position and it just... bends. It doesn't hurt [yet], but it seems like it would be a problem later on.

Should I be worried? Because I noticed in videos of John Petrucci and Jeff Loomis and other left-leg players they also bend their wrists into horrible claw-appendages, especially when playing on the first few frets.
Gravenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
cdgraves

Classical position is superior for seated playing of anything, particularly technically intense music. When I'm doing non-technical jamming I'll move to the right leg, but that's just a relaxation thing.

And if you're worried about how cool you look when you're practicing by yourself, you deserve to suck.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
bronicadude

my teacher always made me play in that classical position. It was always easier for me for barr chords in the F area

Gibson 50's tribute LP
Epiphone Dot
Breedlove acoustics
bronicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
MaaZeus

Quote:

Dogs bollocks. Take a look at V guitars, only way to play them comfortably is in classical position, and still V's are badass!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 05-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Dogs bollocks. Take a look at V guitars, only way to play them comfortably is in classical position, and still V's are badass!

Vs are pretty ridiculous if you ask me but thats a matter of taste.What isnt a matter of taste is the comfort the classical position gives you....even standing up this diagonal position of the neck is the optimal one but what most players prefer? the low hang bullshit like Slash.Thats why i say they are posers.They take looking cool on stage over playability 9 times out of 10 .
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

In my opinion classical vs. regular is different for every(-)body (badum ts).
However, I do like to think that classical is a little better because - when standing - the guitar is more or less in the exact same position whereas going from regular to standing requires some adjustments to be made.

or is it because i have a RR5 V and therefore go classical

Last edited by My Last Words : 05-23-2013 at 01:54 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Ruark

Quote:

If that ain't the truth. I play my electric (Ibanez Artstar) on my left leg, but I think I have yet to see anybody else doing it. Look at ALL of the "big name" players on YouTube or Google Images, and every single one of them is holding it on the right leg. I personally find it very difficult to play there, almost impossible.
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
ixshadowz

i switched to playing on my left leg earlier this year and i find it much better for picking and playing fast riffs, i absolutely love playing on my left leg and will never go back to playing on my right
ixshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
harmony_melody_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
I am a right hander and I have always rested the guitar on my right leg because it was initially how I thought was more comfortable.

I switched to playing on the left leg and I can only see advantages of it and I think that the right leg is an inferior position. With the left, it feels more natural when you are standing playing guitar (which most people want to do anyway in live situations) and it is easier to reach high bends and barre chords. Only downfall is that it does feel a little more natural resting on right leg vs left for the guitar when starting out, but in the end it's what you want to end up getting your hands to do on the instrument.

Anyone else agree that left leg is better in the long run and anyone who switched from right leg to left glad they made that switch?

I never liked resting the guitar on left leg, so never got used to it. As for standing, I never felt like resting the guitar on right leg caused problems when standing. If I needed to practice more by standing, I just stood up, no big deal.
harmony_melody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark
If that ain't the truth. I play my electric (Ibanez Artstar) on my left leg, but I think I have yet to see anybody else doing it. Look at ALL of the "big name" players on YouTube or Google Images, and every single one of them is holding it on the right leg. I personally find it very difficult to play there, almost impossible.

If you look for players known to play a V guitar, everybody has them in left leg position.

...well, out of necessity perhaps but it still counts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Rate This Thread: