Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #64961
I.O.T.M
Welcome to Jackass.

In Dover there are a lot of people always complaining about street lights being switched off too early. It's a council decision and not something the local MP can really do anything about. It may be worth contacting a local councillor?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #64962
EndTheRapture51
Feminism ruined The Pit

He didn't say anything in the letter to me that said he wasn't able to control the policy or had a lack of jurisdiction over it, in fact he says he is "broadly in support of it". If it wasn't his problem I'm sure he'd tell me straight away.

I replied with this #madbantz

Quote:
Dear MP,

Firstly I am very shocked and insulted that you cannot even be bothered to get my name correct on the return letter to me, referring to me as "Luke", it shows a lack of respect and care that a MP should show to his constituents.

Secondly, do you not realise that the entire point of streetlights is to light the streets during periods of darkness? I cannot believe a man as educated as you could let such basic logic pass him by.

Thirdly, I feel like this is indicative of the general Tory policy of prioritising cuts and saving money over the welfare of people, as shown by various policies and taxes your government as introduced. Sadly I cannot offer you my support at the next general election as I find firstly the lack of care to which you have addressed me disturbing, as well as this policy being a microcosm for the entire party you are a part of.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

#FREENEO #FREETROWZAA #FREEPHIL
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #64963
I.O.T.M
Welcome to Jackass.

Do you honestly believe MPs waste their time setting street lighting policies for their local areas? MPs legislate on national concerns as a representative of their constituents. Perhaps he could bring it up in Parliament but that's all. These decisions are delegated to local councils.

You've made a massive deal over him getting your name wrong. You do realise it could be an auto-correct error?

Edit: I don't know if you still live in Norwich, but the Norwich council website has loads of information about this. It's to cut CO2 emissions.

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_an...hting/NCC153074

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy" - Albert Camus

Last edited by I.O.T.M : 09-02-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #64964
EndTheRapture51
Feminism ruined The Pit

I don't live in Norwich any more, I live in Billericay. I was aware Norwich did it but the roads they chose to light were reasonable and lights in my estate were turned off at a reasonable time, like 2am.

Either way, if it wasn't his problem, he wouldn't have replied to me and would've simply said "contact your Councillor instead".

The addressed envelope to me was hand-written and my name was wrong. There's a minimum amount of effort that should be taken by either him or his secretary and he hasn't lived up to that.

#FREENEO #FREETROWZAA #FREEPHIL
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #64965
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

A cat was looking at a King, as permitted by the proverb. "Well," said the monarch, observing her inspection of the royal person, "how do you like me?" "I can imagine a King," said the Cat, "whom I should like better."

"For example?"

"The King of the Mice."

The sovereign was so pleased with the wit of the reply that he gave her permission to scratch his Prime Minister's eyes out.

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #64966
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE

So.

51% Yes, 49% no.

And all the arguments I've had about Scottish independence in the past where people dismiss it, don't care and basically thought it could never happen. Whatever happens now, the union is over.

Ruk labour better sort themselves out otherwise England is so ****ed. Though I'd like it if we could send every shower of shite, scumbag, team-Tory, Scottish labour msp down to London for good ... I suppose we won't be able to get them past milbands mad border control. Lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #64967
Arthur Curry
yabba dabba doo

about to watch obama monger more fear and war
Old 09-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #64968
Arthur Curry
yabba dabba doo

any takers???
Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #64969
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

ISIL is a pretty big deal
Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #64970
Rossenrot
of Prison and Palace

The speech seemed equal parts him defending his inaction while simultaneously making a call to action. Regardless, it's somewhat nice to hear his tone grow stronger. I only wish he would clearly enumerate our goals regarding ISIS rather than do a victory lap about job creation during a speech about terrorism.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #64971
Arthur Curry
yabba dabba doo

I agree it's a pretty big deal. 9/11 was also a pretty big deal. And when 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi nationals, their operation funded and overseen by Saudi officials, we for some reason found ourselves invading, destroying, and occupying Iraq for the next decade or so.

Let's think rationally this time. Let's not let emotions get the best of us. Think about what allowed this evil to take form so as not to repeat the same mistakes. I for one would not be willing to give the executive branch free reign in yet another open-ended war in Iraq and the Levant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossenrot
I only wish he would clearly enumerate our goals regarding ISIS rather than do a victory lap about job creation during a speech about terrorism.

Elite donors of American allies in the Persian Gulf region have poured an immense amount of resources into rebel groups like IS in efforts to advance on three general goals: opposing Iran, its ally Bashar Assad and his government in Syria, and fomenting the Sunni-Shia divides in the region.

Last edited by Arthur Curry : 09-11-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Arthur Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #64972
I.O.T.M
Welcome to Jackass.

Some crazy guy has been arrested after claiming he had a bomb on a train at London Bridge station.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #64973
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Uggh.

So here in October there is going to be a plebiscite to drop the age of imputability from 18 to 16 (age in which a person's actions can be judged as a "grown up", in terms of crime).
Right now the imputability age (or whatever is called in english) is 18, same as the civic/voting age. But over the recent (a few years) wave of underage crimes that end in murder, armed robbery, etc, this constitutional reform has been proposed.

I'm not sure what to think about it, mainly because it's so cluster****. The plebiscite itself just talks about the drop of the age of imputability from 18 to 16, and nothing more. But the political party that is endorsing this plebiscite (there are elections over here 1 month from now), is saying that, along with this constitution reform, they want to create a new rehabilitation center for those 16-17 year olds that are affected by this, so, if they commit these kind of crimes (murder, etc), they go to this rehabilitation center.

Up until now, ALL people under the age of 18 would go to the same "child center" called INAU. This center is designed to treat all children and teenagers, if they have problems with the law, etc. But recently, this center kind of "failed" with certain teenagers, in the sense that there are teenagers that commit crimes, go to the INAU, but (because of some reasons) escape pretty easily and commit the crimes again.
People over here are angry at this incompetence, since it makes them think that the "system" basically allows teenagers to commit any kind of crime they want. After all, they'll go to INAU for some weeks and then escape, or just go to INAU for a couple of months, be released, and commit the crimes again. So this plebiscite is basically fueled by that frustration.

So, the political party that endorses this plebiscite says that, if they go into power, they'll construct this rehabilitation center, so the 16-17 year olds go to this center and not to prison.
But the opposition is opposing the plebiscite because they say that teenagers under 18 shouldn't go to prison with the adults (over 18).

It's a cluster**** because I am not sure what the criticism is about, if about the plebiscite by itself, or if about the plebiscite AND the political party's plan (of the rehabilitation center and whatnot).
But from what I gather, it's entirely possible that the plebiscite gets approved, but the political party that endorses it isn't elected. In this case, the constitution would allow 16-17 year olds to be processed as adults (when they commit crime), but the rehabilitation center and all those things the other political party were talking about won't be done (if the party that gets elected doesn't do anything about it), right?
If that's the case, I haven't seen anything from the other political parties about what they'd do if the plebiscite gets approved. It seems that they won't do anything and are just content with rallying against it.

So yeah, have no ****ing idea what to vote about it, specially if voting for or against it ENTAILS having to vote for a particular political party or not.

So how does your "age of imputability" work in your countries? What happens to 15-16-17 year olds who commit rape/murder/armed robbery/etc in your country?
Is there something my country is doing wrong and we might risk going down the "wrong" path, or is this just a harmless democratic election that's not that important?
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #64974
eGraham
Green and Submarine

Depending on the crime and the nature of the crime, some underaged people can be tried as adults. It all sort of hinges on how clear the motives, or lack thereof, are.

I've seen cases of a 17 year old killing his brother and getting tried as an adult. Or a local case where three teenaged girls conspired to commit and eventually committed murder and they were tried as adults.

But if there seems to be no motive, most people under 18 will be tried as juveniles.

October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #64975
Swamp ash

I just finished reading all the posts in this thread... I still think Dewey won!
Swamp ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: