Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

woods are only part of tone. other things make big tonal differences.

bracing is high on the list. bracing shape, thickness, height, whether it's scalloped, location in the body - these are things that contribute greatly to tone. then there's thickness of woods, neck wood - a maple neck is going to add more brightness than a mahogany neck, for example - number of frets to the body (12 frets to the body tends to be warmer tonally than 14, and there are some 13 fretters out there). x brace, ladder brace or other brace makes a HUGE difference - i was playing a couple ladder braced guitars yesterday, and they were so different from modern x-braced guitars.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
TubeBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
Never, ever, ever judge the way an acoustic guitar sounds from youtube. Even the people that do it really well like Soundpure. There's nothing like holding the guitar in your hands and feeling the way it resonates and the way it sounds in the room. I'd never buy an acoustic guitar without playing it first. ESPECIALLY for 3400.

I'm going to Quebec City this Saturday, I've managed to trade in my Les Paul and Pay 1600, taxes included.

The guitar is reserved, I'm going to try it Saturday. If I like it, I leave with it.
If not, we agreed I'd try it first.

I'll keep you guys updated!

SPECIFIC MODEL
TubeBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
stepchildusmc

good luck ! where are you driving from? there's a really good article in the new issue of Wood & Steel ( Taylor's magazine) on wood properties and how they effect a guitars sound. i just got it in the mail same day you posted this thread.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
TubeBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
good luck ! where are you driving from? there's a really good article in the new issue of Wood & Steel ( Taylor's magazine) on wood properties and how they effect a guitars sound. i just got it in the mail same day you posted this thread.

I live 2 hours north of Quebec city. Very close from the Boucher factory.

I'm going Tomorrow. At the first store they have many Martins and the other store I'm going they have Boucher and Taylors.
I'm going to try acoustics all day and try to make my mind!

I'll let you guys know once I come back.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
TubeBlues

I ended up trying a Martin M-36, a Taylor 812, Taylor 312, Boucher 000 Mahogany and Boucher 000 Rosewood.

I went with the Boucher 000 Rosewood. By far the best instrument I've tried, even from the other Boucher.

I've gave them 20% and I'm going back in a month to pick it up!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

does it have a sitka or adi top - or some other wood? i've heard recordings of boucher 000 guitars (studio goose), and found one i had heard recently. here's one i heard recently - adi over rosewood http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr...oGoose000ra.htm is yours like that one?
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
stepchildusmc

nice choice ! great sounding guitar. i cant wait to see the pics once you get it.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
TubeBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
does it have a sitka or adi top - or some other wood? i've heard recordings of boucher 000 guitars (studio goose), and found one i had heard recently. here's one i heard recently - adi over rosewood http://www.paramountguitars.net/gtr...oGoose000ra.htm is yours like that one?

It's a 2011 Studio Indian Goose 000 with adirondack top and rosewood back and sides.

http://www.guitareboucher.com/conte...35/399/lang,fr/

Rate This Thread: