Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Airsprint

Need a new guitar help me out please!

Hi U.G

Long time reader/lurker/tabber. Been playing guitar for 3 years about. I have become a fan of Ibanez primarily. I own an Ibanez GRG 170DX with EMG 81/85s. Recently I joined a band and am playing rythym guitar. I have a good amp already and am not interested in a new one. What I need are suggestions on what to look into for guitars as I need to have 2 on tap for upcoming gigs. I want this guitar to be under $1k and don't mind buying used if the guitar is worth it.

What I will be doing with it. Playing with a 4 piece band. Ripping metal rhythm, and melodic breakdowns. Not many solos on my end, YET.

Sounds I like. A7x, B4MV, Stone Sour, Slipknot (Yes I know), Disturbed, SOAD, ATR, Trivium, Fear Factory (Yes I know they use7-8 Strings), Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, Lamb of God, 36 Crazyfists. sure there are plenty others that I'm missing.

Traits I like, Dark sounding, Deep Full Note sounding, Good sustain on pickups, "Alive sounding notes", High,active,alive,"loopy" clear, high notes.

Guitar must be low bridge, low action, 6 string, preferably thin neck, light as possible.

I'm open to Trembelo or not, I do like floyd rose style stuff not a necessity tho. Active or passive humbuckers, would prefer passive.

I loved the sound of Jacksons down at G.C and also Love Ibanez.

Do not want raised bridge, didnt like the high frets some ESPs had, didnt like Schecters high bridge. Found them hard to play in general compared to Ibanez. I need to be able to switch guitars on the fly and have the same general play ability as my 170DX which will be my "backup guitar"

TL;DR: Recommend a good metal guitar to me that is similar in playing style to my current Ibanez 170DX but has a much richer sound under $1k. Thanks!!

Last edited by Airsprint : 02-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Airsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Ibanez S series or Rg with a mahogany body.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
HippieMagic

Disturbed uses Gibson SG Standards, Les Paul Standards, PRS, and Washburns I believe.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Nemesis Vnholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffelz
Ibanez S series or Rg with a mahogany body.

Agreed. I own an Ibanez S770PB and it is, by far, the finest guitar I've ever played.
Nemesis Vnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

I would look at an Ibanez, LTD or Schecter. LTD have really gone downhill in quality in the past few years though, so I would also probably go with an Ibanez out of the 3.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

No idea why those links to manufacturers websites got "Fobidden"- nothing I haven't done before or since- but the recommendations were to check out Fernandes, Reverend, DBZ and Godin.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Bigbazz

The first thing I thought was a Les Paul, dark and deep sounding and sustain for days. But then you want a thin neck and light weight which makes me think superstrat (such as an RG Ibanez).

I honestly think that RG Ibanez's tend to look a bit dated and meh though but if you like them they are certaintly quality guitars, I'l just chime in with pickups I have experience with.

Seymour Duncan : JB JR, Lil59, Duckbucker, Full Shred
Dimarzio : Evolution full set
Bareknuckle : Painkiller, Trilogy suite set.

I'm a massive fan of the Full Shred, I honestly think it is one of the most balanced and articulate sounding Humbuckers about, with a lot of mid presence it cuts through especially well. The Painkiller is much the same in that respect though slightly higher output and the mids were present in a slightly different place, making it perhaps a little more chimey on the cleans.

I could highly recommend a guitar with either, but think that perhaps the Painkiller would be slightly more to your liking. For me a guitar is a very personal thing, other than advising every new beginner to buy a squier strat I tend to find it hard to really recommend guitars, I think you should find the specs and style that you want and then go try some, I don't recommend taking a gamble and buying online (because every individual guitar is different) but if it makes sense money wise I guess it has to be done.

Know that if you want a rich and fat, deep sounding guitar with lots of sustain you're much better of with a big lump of wood like a Les Paul than a super strat like an Ibanez RG. I personally love super strats, I own a Jem and 3 strats and none of them have that deep tone that you get from a Les Paul, but that isn't what I want from a guitar anyway.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 03-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: