Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Is writing for others okay?

I recently formed a death metal band with a couple of friends of mine and we're just a trio. For our first song, it was just me and the guitarist and when we were writing it we would both just play a riff and be like, "What do you think of that?" until we made one we both liked. However, how this turned out is that he didn't like most of my riffs and I was willing to "settle" for most of his riffs so this first song is mostly his riffs, which I'm fine with. He generally isn't the best at guitar and it seems he has a hard time keeping up sometimes but I let it go and figure he'll get it down eventually.

The problem came in today where he wasn't able to make it to a practice and so me and the drummer worked on a new song together. We got part of the song done and agreed to both go home and practice it. So I get home and start putting it in Tabit so the guitarist can learn it easier. I wrote my part out in Tabit but then I started putting in new guitar parts that I decided would sound good with what I was playing. These parts, however, (including the parts that just follow the bass) are much more technical than anything he normally plays and it concerns me.

So the question is, is there something wrong with writing his part for him? And, should we let him come up with something easier that he won't have to practice as much if he decides that what I came up with "sucks".
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I usually write all parts by myself (so does our guitarist, I play bass in our band). You can always change the parts if you think they would fit the song better. But I usually follow the bassline the guitarist has made (and if I write a guitar riff, he plays it). If it sounds good, who cares who has written it? I have tweaked some of our guitarist's song and he has liked it. But I think it's better to write all the parts by yourself and see how they sound together. Then if somebody has some better ideas, use them. You can always tweak your songs.

It's a good thing to have an idea how the song will sound like. And not like "I have a bass riff, you need to write a guitar riff over it." You can write both guitar and bass riff by yourself. Because usually the guy who starts writing the song has some kind of picture of how it will sound like.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-27-2013 at 06:08 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
derek8520

He won't get any better if he doesn't challenge himself with more difficult stuff.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Well, when I write a song, I usually write the guitar and bass parts for them (I'm a guitarist) since I usually have an idea of what will sound like when I'm finished. If I show the song to a bassist or second guitarist, they can adjust their parts to taste, but it shouldn't be too drastic.

Besides, if someone wrote a song with a guitar part, I'd be more than willing to try it out and seem how it goes. If it feels a bit weird or I think some tiny little thing needs to be changed, than I'll go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
He won't get any better if he doesn't challenge himself with more difficult stuff.

Yeah, I agree with this. I find it a bit odd though that the guitarist, as described by the TS, has trouble keeping up most of the time. It doesn't make much sense to me since he's in a death metal band, so I thought he'd be used to play some pretty technical stuff.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
cdgraves

Learning how to take direction and play things that aren't your favorite is part of being a mature musician. There's really no sense in getting territorial about a part when he doesn't have an alternate version ready to to. I'd just tell that whenever he writes something for the part he can try it out, and that you are equally willing to play parts he writes on his own time for you.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

He's not very good because he's more into, dare I say, core bands than death metal. What should I do if he doesn't want to play the more difficult stuff I wrote but what he writes instead is awful?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
food1010
Bassist

You have two options:

A) Find a new band.
B) Make compromises.

Seriously, if your bandmates aren't cooperative or willing to put in the effort, maybe you'd be better off ditching them. Then again, if you're willing to make the compromise yourself, maybe it'll work out.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
20Tigers

hes into core and you're a death metal band. This relationship is doomed to failure.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

I couldn't really kick him out and then find another guitarist because both he and the drummer go to my church and we're all good friends. I think I'd have to get an entirely new band and I'm not really up to that.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
D..W..

Being in a band because you don't want to find another band makes no sense, just sayin'. It's also possible (sometimes, this can get tricky) to be friends and not be in the band together anymore.

I'd say that unless you had a specific musical idea, to let him jam his own riffs over what you're playing. If it sounds like crap, then find a new guitarist or find a new band, because he obviously isn't ready to be in any band, or he doesn't fit in your band (maybe he just has a different style that would work with someone else). I think the key is 'he has a hard time keeping up'. If he can't keep up, he needs to go home and practice on his own or with a slower band until he can keep up.
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Most bands I've played with had each song fully written by one member each. After learning the song in its entirety, each member would then make any necessary amendments to their own parts.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
hes into core and you're a death metal band. This relationship is doomed to failure.

uhhhh
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawshik
I couldn't really kick him out and then find another guitarist because both he and the drummer go to my church and we're all good friends. I think I'd have to get an entirely new band and I'm not really up to that.

It sounds like he'll have to get better or you compromise some of the parts that are written. You may be able to, if at all possible, take the guitar parts you have written and try to find easier fingerings of them for him.

Writing almost entire songs for a band is no problem at all. Many bands do this where different members may write full songs and get them put on albums, or they'll all collaborate. A big indicator on whether or not one, multiple, or all band members write a song is how musically inspired they are.

I would also like to ask; What bands do you and the guitarist listen to that are Death Metal and "-Core"?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

I listen to Cannibal Corpse, Spawn of Possesion, Abysmal Dawn, Decrepit Birth, Obscura, Etc etc.

He listens to uhh... For Today, Oh Sleeper, Underoath, Living Sacrifice and stuff life that. I think. But he can listen to easier-listening bands like Cannibal Corpse with me.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
He listens to uhh... For Today, Oh Sleeper, Underoath, Living Sacrifice and stuff life that. I think. But he can listen to easier-listening bands like Cannibal Corpse with me.

lol that's not -core that's christian rock with a couple screams mixed in

also i'm not gonna comment on the For Today stuff but i was really peeved about that so i don't like your friend rn not at all TS
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
I listen to Cannibal Corpse, Spawn of Possesion, Abysmal Dawn, Decrepit Birth, Obscura, Etc etc.

Modern Tech Death and Christcore. Just give him some open-note breakdowns and pedal riffs and he'll be fine.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

That's exactly what I don't want him doing!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:

It can actually work out really well if it's executed properly. Here are some examples:

Archons
show

Ascariasis
show

Vehemence(Amazing band, but very anti-religious)
show

Don't forget Suffocation, Animosity, TBDM, and etc. as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

isn't that, like, slayer's entire repertoire?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Vehemence was the definitely the best of all those, however they all had a second guitar. As of right now, we're a trio.

Rate This Thread: