Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #101
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Okay, so I've been reading this thread for a couple of days now, so I'm going to have to chirp in now.

Firstly, as investments go, Guitars are not great ones. Better than tech stocks, but not much else. The value of guitar is prone to a great many things that normal investments are subject to (e.g. demand, inflation, etc), but also depend highly on the condition of the instrument. I mean, I've seen "needs work" 60s and 70s Strats go for as low as a grand, but no matter how much work you put into it, it'll never be worth as much as an stock, original parts version of the same year. Most people who collect guitars as investments got those guitars either as hand-me-downs that were bought new 40+ years ago (or personally bought them 40+ years ago) at the original prices, or collect dozens of guitars hoping that one or two will eventually cover the loses on all of them. It's not really something that you just decide one day to jump into.

Secondly, if you're trying to buy a guitar as an investment AND play it regularly... what? I mean... I don't even know what to say, I don't even know where to begin! That's like saying you're going to buy an original Picasso to use as wallpaper. People who collect guitars as investments keep them in glass cases and under beds, not on stands or plugged into amps. Any time--every time--you strum that instrument, you risk devaluing your investment. If it slips out of your hand, or the strap slips and it gets dented, you've lost more than the guitar originally sold for, just like that. If you crack the headstock, (god forbid!) game over, $15k down the drain right there. You can't even install straplocks on it with out devaluing the instrument. I mean, playing an "investment" guitar... that's like smoking next to the Mona Lisa.

Buy real estate if you're looking for a good investment. Buy a vintage guitar if you're looking for a vintage guitar.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.

Last edited by kangaxxter : 04-15-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typos, typos ****ing everywhere
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #102
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSomethin
$18,000 for a refinished 1960 Strat?
Seller says 2013 vintage price guide lists it $25,000-$40,000
What would you tell this seller? Any analysis of this guitar?
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/3730719753.html

pics are too small to really see much, but i'd say he's high. plus it's one of those "i'm away right now" type ads that often don't pan out. refinishing kills a value, even if everything else is right.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #103
MissingSomethin

I came across another refinished 1964 Strat for $6000. I think I've decided I don't want a refin. I'd either get a modern historic reissue for $1500-$2500 as a players guitar, or a collectible for $15k (that I play sometimes).
MissingSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #104
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Buying vintage instruments is always a tricky business. I honestly think you're better off investing in limited runs of new stock, you're almost guarenteed to see an increase in value on them. Of course you still have to pick your brands carefully, Fender, Gibson, Martin - they're always going to attract interest.

Like the Brownie Strat for example - that's always going to draw a crowd. Limited to 100, Claptons name attached, Masterbuilt. Granted they're ridiculously overpriced, but it's a big ticket item that will always draw interest.

Last edited by Battery Chicken : 04-17-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #105
gregs1020
Hi mom!

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #106
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Wow.

What a beautiful guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #107
ne14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

Now that is a very nice guitar!
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #108
MissingSomethin

After the Fall: The State of the Vintage Guitar Market (2009)

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazi...1#ixzz2R0d23Ppn
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #109
MissingSomethin

Based on my research this week, I think I am going to put my vintage guitar acquisition on hold. I think I've reached a stalemate.

First, I've learned that there are many fakes. So, one needs to either become an expert, or buy from a trusted dealer. But, consensus also seems to be that many dealer prices are stuck in bubble fantasy land (which is why dealers are going out of business) So, if one doesn't want to pay inflated 2007 bubble prices, he risks buying a fake on Ebay/CL. I am not interested in overpaying for anything, frankly. I like a deal, which is what led me to this "buy low" idea in the first place.

Next is the dilemma of buying a collectible vs. player. I want a guitar to play. If you buy a vintage "player grade", then why bother? Refins seem to be the bastard child of guitars. All the downsides of a very old guitar (needs refret, etc), yet cost 3-5x as much as a reissue, but don't have any real collectibility. Lose/lose. You're probably better off buying a $2000 historic custom shop reissue that is probably just as good. The reissue might even be a cleaner, newer, better guitar than a true vintage.

I want to thank everyone here for their tips and advice. I've enjoyed reading this forum to learning about guitars and the market, and will continue to research and learn, just in case something comes my way. Reading and posting on a forum has also inspired me to start playing more regularly. The best move is to take that $10-$15k and spend it on a few years of lessons! I think I will resume taking lessons soon. I already have all the equipment a guy ever needs. I just need to keep expanding my ability. So, I am going to pivot, and start using this forum as a place to discuss actual guitar playing and music theory (instead of equipment buying advice) I'm looking forward to the next chapter in my playing!

Last edited by MissingSomethin : 04-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #110
dannyalcatraz

In that case, get yourself a decent player's guitar- budget @$800+ if buying new (ditto for an amp)- find a good teacher, and enjoy one of the greatest lifetime passtimes ever invented by humanity!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #111
MissingSomethin

If you see my Sig, I already have several very nice player's guitars. I think introducing lessons is something that will take me to the next level. I also should start playing in bands again.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #112
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSomethin
If you see my Sig, I already have several very nice player's guitars. I think introducing lessons is something that will take me to the next level. I also should start playing in bands again.

Should maybe considering sh1t canning this "Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp" for something that'll do those great guitars justice
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #113
dannyalcatraz

Ooooh...effects!

Lets see...Visual Sound, Pigtronix, Red Witch, Moog- these are but a few of the names you should learn!

Don't get me wrong- Boss makes some nice pedals: I love my Space Echo and my Rotary. But there are some very cool & innovative signal warpers out there!

Not to mention there are some truly astounding boutique amps that can cover so much more sonic territory than mainstream amps like my Fender HRD. I just don't have the drive to look around figuring out which sub-30w amp I want to spend $5000 on.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-21-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #114
MissingSomethin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Should maybe considering sh1t canning this "Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp" for something that'll do those great guitars justice

I absolutely love my sound. Best sound I've ever gotten in 20 years of playing. It is just pure killer tone. Sounds like a true concert. And, such sustain and fluidity of saturation for my leads.. I will never go back to a dry tube amp again. My playing has never been better sounding. Best part? It never changes! I will never go back to analog ever again. I tossed my Marshall tube amp in the garbage after I got this thing.

Last edited by MissingSomethin : 04-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #115
dannyalcatraz

You might- for giggles- check out the DigiTech iPB-10 multieffects pedal iPad housing and its 87 pedal models it ships with (with more models downloadable):

Wah:
DigiTech® Full Range
Dunlop® Cry Baby™ Wah
Vox® Clyde McCoy™ Wah
Compression:
Boss® CS-2 Compressor/Sustainer
DigiTech® Compressor
MXR® Dynacomp™
Noise Gate:
DigiTech® Auto Swell Gate
DigiTech® Noise Gate
Distortion:
Arbiter® Fuzz Face
Boss® DS-1 Distortion
Boss® MT-2 Metal Zone®
Boss® OD-1 Overdrive
Boss® SD-1 Overdrive
DOD® 250 Overdrive/Preamp
DOD® Classic Fuzz™
DOD® Gonkulator Ring Modulator
Demeter™ Fuzzulator™
DigiTech® Amp Driver
DigiTech® Death Metal™
DigiTech® Grunge®
DigiTech® Redline Overdrive
Electro-Harmonix® Big Muff Pi®
Guyatone Overdrive OD-2
Ibanez® Modified TS-9
Ibanez® TS-808 Tube Screamer™
Ibanez® TS-9 Tube Screamer™
MXR® Distortion +
ProCo Rat™
Roger Mayer Octavia
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Chorus:
Boss® CE-2 Chorus
DigiTech® Dual Chorus
DigiTech® Glistening Chorus
DigiTech® Multi-Chorus
Electro Harmonix® Small Clone
TC Electronics® Chorus
Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus
Flanger:
ADA™ Flanger
DigiTech® Filter Flanger
DigiTech® Flanger
DigiTech® Triggered Flanger
Electro Harmonix® Electric Mistress™
MXR® Flanger
Phaser:
DigiTech® Phaser
DigiTech® Triggered Phaser
Electro Harmonix® Small Stone™
MXR® Phase 100
Pitch:
Boss® OC-2 Octaver™
DigiTech® Detune
DigiTech® Harmony Pitch
DigiTech® Pitch Shift
DigiTech® Whammy™
Vibrato/Rotary:
DigiTech® Panner
DigiTech® Rotary
DigiTech® Vibrato
DigiTech® Vibro / Pan
Unicord Uni-Vibe™
Tremolo:
DigiTech® ScatterTrem – Dual tremolo
DigiTech® Tremolo
Fender® Opto Tremolo™
Vox® Bias Tremolo
Envelope:
DOD® FX25 Envelope Filter
DigiTech® Auto Yah™
DigiTech® Envelope Filter
DigiTech® Sample & Hold
DigiTech® Step Filter
DigiTech® Synth Talk™
DigiTech® YaYa™
EQ:
3-Band EQ
Delay:
2-Tap Delay
Analog Delay
Boss® DM-2 Analog Delay
Digital Delay
Lo Fi Delay
Maestro™ Echoplex EP-2
Modulated Delay
Pong Delay
Reverse Delay
Tape Delay
Reverb:
EMT® 240 Plate Reverb
Fender® Twin Spring Reverb™
Lexicon® Ambience
Lexicon® Hall
Lexicon® Room
Lexicon® Studio
Volume:
Volume Pedal

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-21-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #116
MissingSomethin

Thanks Danny, but the GT-6 has tons of effects and I am very happy with my guitar sound.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #117
John Drysdale

I have a 1960 Jazzmaster (refinished) and a ~1979 Mosrite Ventures model (built by Semie Mosely with his hand carved initials under the tremolo setup). A reissue of his 1965 model. I plan to keep them for future value, but am playing them as well. Total investment for both around 6.6K.
I bought them more for playing than investing, but they should be a good long-term investment.

Last edited by John Drysdale : 04-24-2013 at 04:17 PM.
John Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #118
sewkid

My long-term investment was bought when I was a teenager. That was over 50 years ago. I paid $417.50 for my ‘59 Jazzmaster. It was my ‘player’ for about 3 years when I decided I wasn’t a 'player'. I never did learn. So, I parked it under the bed. I turned down $10,000.00 for it 15 years ago as I thought it was worth more. I am the original owner. It is all original, I have the original receipt, the hangtag and photos. Today, if someone waved $12,000.00 in front of me, my son will not get it in his inherent.

sewkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: