Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
walkcatwalk

Question Electro acoustic for power chords

Hi everyone, I'm looking for an electro acoustic as a substitution to my electric guitar as I started to play solo open mics. My stuff is mainly built on power chords and I need a guitar with a super thin neck and very fast, I tried my friend acoustic Epiphone and I got tired right away after a song...the neck was too thick, and not fast for my chord changing...I went to try a few but I got even more confused...I tried the Yamaha APX 700, Crafter TCO, Tanglewood TSF...Do you have any popular suggestions as I'd like to buy second hand if possible. Price range I would say new 600pounds sterling or less to possibly found cheaper in Ebay...
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks
Aiden
walkcatwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

umm...Ovations? they're famous for their slim, fast necks. i'd recommend an Elite or Balladeer series in mid or deep bowl. in my opinion the best acoustic guitar for a predominantly electric player. another good choice would be a Seagull S6 slim. not as easy of a neck as the Ovations but still fast.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
walkcatwalk

Thank you so much, I'll look into it!
walkcatwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

Ovations are good if you always plug in but in my opinion do not sound good unplugged
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

i somewhat agree racertj5. the shallows all sound really tinny unplugged. the mid-depth ones sound better and the deep bowl ones sound very good unplugged. my 2078LX projects very well, has a very clear sound. i'd pit it against my Taylor K10ce anyday. the sound is different( i'm comparing apples and oranges with these 2) yes, but it's still a very enjoyable guitar to listen to.
plugged in, the Ovation outshines my others and is much easier to play for long periods.
Our TS is looking for something plugged in( open mic nights) and that will endure a few sets for him without tiring his wrist out.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Life sucks, and then you don't have an electric extra light string set and an amplifier to do the work for you.

Not surprisingly, I always recommend taking up the acoustic 12 string, and then switching back to a 6 string acoustic when you, "feel the need for speed".

Ask Stepchild if he thinks that's a valid approach to conditioning oneself for the acoustic. This is why baseball players always weight the bat in the on deck circle. When you remove the weight, the bat feels easier and faster to swing. Going from electric to acoustic is the reverse of this, and you wind up being the guitarist's equivalent of, "out of shape".

No matter which acoustic you choose, you're still going to have to condition yourself to play it. It will never, ever, play like a full on electric.

This doesn't negate the fact the the acoustic you borrowed may not have been set up optimally, and you might be able to do better with the same guitar.

But also, acoustic music is oftentimes played with open chords and capos. Not that many people want to sit around playing barre chords on one of them all night long either.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-17-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
azrael4h

There's a Fender Stratacoustic that's been hanging on the wall at my local GC for the longest time that I've been meaning to pick up and play some. I'd imagine it doesn't have all that great an unplugged sound, but who knows without trying?

I can't recommend it, since I have never tried it, but it's an option I guess. It only caught my eye because I play predominately Stratocasters.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
There's a Fender Stratacoustic that's been hanging on the wall at my local GC for the longest time that I've been meaning to pick up and play some. I'd imagine it doesn't have all that great an unplugged sound, but who knows without trying? .
Offhand, I'd venture a guess it hardly has any sound unplugged.

Some virtuosos can pull off playing electric solo, but for the rest of us, there's less risk and more reward with a pure acoustic. (or AE, either way).
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

ahh... you know me and 12's cranky. still a little gun-shy. and cranky, someday i'm headin' for philly with the 2080sr. that plays just as easy on the upper frets as my Les Paul or ahem..."vintage"( i really mean old, over-modded, and just plain simple worn out) Yamaha RGX.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
ahh... you know me and 12's cranky. still a little gun-shy. and cranky, someday i'm headin' for philly with the 2080sr. that plays just as easy on the upper frets as my Les Paul or ahem..."vintage"( i really mean old, over-modded, and just plain simple worn out) Yamaha RGX.

Cool....

I hate to open old wounds, so to speak, but I found out Taylor and Rickenbacker string the octave pairs "upside down". Shocked the crap out of me.

Heavy prime string on top,and the octave underneath it, towards the floor.

In any event, all I was getting at, was working out at higher levels than you'd have to perform at. That should resonate with somebody who is into physical culture, as I believe you are.. Practice on an acoustic, you should be able to bend strings like crazy when you move to electric, like that...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-17-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Offhand, I'd venture a guess it hardly has any sound unplugged.

It actually does. Not enough to consider it for gigging though, and I'm not sure I like it unplugged, but I've never been fond of Electric/Acoustic sounds, nor the thought of using fiberglass on a guitar. I could see playing it around the house though, and as cheap as it is I would consider it a decent beater.

I didn't have time to go find an amp to see how it sounded plugged up though. It was really easy to play, almost identical to my regular Strats in feel though. I would of course prefer a maple fretboard instead, but I'm strange like that.

I believe I'd like that neck on a real wood guitar instead. Maybe a solid Mahogany top and sides guitar like that Ibanez I checked out, with a single cutaway.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
It actually does.
I'm not actually stupid enough to think, "it doesn't make ANY noise" literally. That said, please tell me where you're going to play a gig with an unplugged Strat whose venue doesn't involve sitting in a closet and mumbling along with it.
Quote:
I believe I'd like that neck on a real wood guitar instead. Maybe a solid Mahogany top and sides guitar like that Ibanez I checked out, with a single cutaway.
Well, here you go: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...c-guitar/h78859

Oops sorry, only solid spruce top, w/ laminated B & S. My bad, I'll try and do better next time.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-24-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
I'm not actually stupid enough to think, "it doesn't make ANY noise" literally. That said, please tell me where you're going to play a gig with an unplugged Strat whose venue doesn't involve sitting in a closet and mumbling along with it.

He said a stratocoustic, not a strat. It's an acoustic guitar.

That said, OP Ovation guitars is the brand to look at. They most closely compare to electrics with their slim necks and thin bodies. They can be had at a vast range of prices and they do sound alright plugged it. There aren't many other brands or models that will compare that closely. Have you tried them out yet?

If you have any major guitar shop around you, I be they stock a lot of them. The stratocoustic, although I have never played it, looks like a gimmick and probably wont sound very good.

Hmm..this isn't even about the OP anymore, but Az. Oh well.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 01-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
He said a stratocoustic, not a strat. It's an acoustic guitar.
Sorry, my bad.

In any event, the "Sonoran does have a Strat neck profile, and is also available in a thin body version. The standard model does sound like a, "big boy guitar", not the best, not the worst.
Quote:
That said, OP Ovation guitars is the brand to look at. They most closely compare to electrics with their slim necks and thin bodies. They can be had at a vast range of prices and they do sound alright plugged it. There aren't many other brands or models that will compare that closely. Have you tried them out yet?
No, but "azrael4h", seems to have hijacked the thread and is still, "In Search of the Lost Chord", so to speak. He says, "no fiberglass", no..... all solid.... etc... I'm stumped. Take care of this will ya?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-24-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Sorry, my bad.

In any event, the "Sonoran does have a Strat neck profile, and is also available in a thin body version. The standard model does sound like a, "big boy guitar", not the best, not the worst.
No, but "azrael4h", seems to have hijacked the thread and is still, "In Search of the Lost Chord", so to speak. He says, "no fiberglass", no..... all solid.... etc... I'm stumped. Take care of this will ya?

It's a bad gimmick IMO, looks like crap! The Sonoran ... fender headstocks on acoustics look so foreign!

Quote:
It actually does. Not enough to consider it for gigging though, and I'm not sure I like it unplugged, but I've never been fond of Electric/Acoustic sounds, nor the thought of using fiberglass on a guitar. I could see playing it around the house though, and as cheap as it is I would consider it a decent beater.

What's your issue with fiberglass? Just because it's not real wood? Guitars don't have to have been made of wood to sound good. And, certainly not an indicator of cheapness.

Quote:
I didn't have time to go find an amp to see how it sounded plugged up though. It was really easy to play, almost identical to my regular Strats in feel though. I would of course prefer a maple fretboard instead, but I'm strange like that.

You won't find an acoustic guitar made with a maple fretboard. They are very rare as they just don't compliment the physics of the acoustics heavy string gauge. If you search on google, you'll probably find a select few, one being an all maple Ibanez.

Quote:

I do not believe that any Ibanez acoustics are made with solid back and sides. Solid tops on their upper end, but laminate back and sides. FYI.

Lastly, have you tried to play over acoustics? You may find that you will enjoy the neck of a Martin of Taylor, etc. They are different, but that's the point. I don't feel you should limit your self to acoustic guitars just based on the need to have it feel like an electric. You're missing out IMO.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.

Last edited by |Long| : 01-24-2013 at 07:39 PM.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
azrael4h

I wasn't intending on hijacking anything, just giving my views on the Stratocoustic I picked up so the OP would have an idea if he wanted to search one out. Then cranky proved his name true by somehow confusing Stratocaster with Stratocoustic, and gigging in a closet.

That was amusing, BTW. I like seeing people get upset over them misreading what someone else wrote.

I haven't seen a Sonoramic to try out, which is why I didn't mention that. The rest was more my ideal acoustic, not anything I expect to find.

I guess I'm just too much a traditionalist, but I never have been able to stand Ovation guitars' sound. Not from anyone I've listened to, nor when I've picked them up in the store. Your mileage may vary though. That's the thing about guitars, everyone has a preference.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Captaincranky

Quote:
It's a bad gimmick IMO, looks like crap! The Sonoran ... fender headstocks on acoustics look so foreign, (to me)!
Fixed.

Rate This Thread: