Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
StreetLight3989

Help with focus and direction

Ok, so I consider myself a decent guitarist. I'm not good but I'm not bad. I've been in bands, I can keep up with other musicians who are better than me, I can play some decently technical songs, and I can write a little.

The only problem is I know I can be way better. I can't focus when I'm playing guitar unless I'm jamming with people and I'm really excited about what we're writing. When I'm "practicing" at home it usually ends up just being me learning tidbits of songs and then getting bored, doing a few exercises, and then writing pieces of songs but never putting anything together (I don't know theory and sometimes I have trouble transitioning between verses and choruses etc... when I'm writing).

I love writing and I love playing, but I'm not really improving all that much and everybody I jam with is. I'm afraid that I'm going to be left behind if I don't pick it up and fast. The problem is, I get bored with exercises and learning certain things because they're too easy for me, but then I move onto some more advanced stuff and I get frustrated and very easily and end up giving up more often than not. I feel like I'm stuck in a weird middle ground.

Does anybody have any advice on how to get past this? I'm a mostly self taught guitarist and I never really have had any direction in my playing other than the bands I've been in which have forced my playing in certain directions. Thanks so much.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
raredesign

well, to start, there are plenty of youtube instructors on the cheap :-) Marty Schwartz is great.

For some direct info, I would look into the Harmonized Major Key and Harmonized Minor Key formulas. Get comfortable with creating chord progressions based on that, and then work your solos around them for different tonal qualities. Then try doing some chord melodies.

I think that should shake it up for a start.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Does anybody have any advice on how to get past this? I'm a mostly self taught guitarist and I never really have had any direction in my playing other than the bands I've been in which have forced my playing in certain directions. Thanks so much.

Well, first of all I would see if you can get a good teacher. They should give you stuff to work on that's at an appropriate level and make you excited to learn it.

The other thing is that you need to work on your attitude. If things are "too easy" to work on, you're wrong! You can always play simple things better. "Easy" things are usually the most important - timekeeping, bends and vibrato.

And as for hard things, you've got to just keep plugging away at them - there will always be stuff that takes hundreds of hours, no matter how good you are. Do your best to build discipline and motivate yourself, these are skills that will help you in every aspect of life.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
StreetLight3989

Thanks a lot for all the help.

First and foremost, I think I need to get myself a good teacher who can judge where I am as a guitarist and help me improve and make my practice productive and exciting.

And I do need to change my attitude and I'm slowly changing it. I always end up plateauing, in everything I do, and a lot of the times when that happens I stop doing something. This ha happened with guitar in the past, but I've gotten past it because of my band. I love it too much for that to happen again with guitar though.

I've always worked with a metronome and done finger exercises so I'm a pretty clean player, but these definitely room for improvement.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: