Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Issues with muscle memory and playing fast.

Okay first off I can play fast. My left hand right hand synchronization and accuracy is more than enough to play really fast sections. My biggest problem is my brain can't think as fast as my fingers in particular with alternate picking runs.

Sweep picking for example i can do very fast because my brain has the patterns engraved into my head opposed to the actual note content. With alternate picking runs though my speed is halted only by my brain. When i improvise and don't think about every individual note i play when doing a fast run i can do it effortlessly, but when i learn advanced solo's with fast runs i just struggle so much in keeping my brain up to speed with my fingers.
I know this is a normal thing to experience but does anyone know of any particular advice they can give or is it like most things just a matter of practicing over and over and over? I'm struggling so much to learn this solo right now just because there's 2 runs that slip me up so hard. They're not so much difficult as they are with a massive amount of note content in such a short period.

It's just so frustrating knowing the ability is there but my brain can't keep up ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
My song is in 4/5 thank you very much. 4/5 keeps it easy. It tells the drummer to break it up into quintuplets and play 4/4.

Last edited by vayne92 : 08-25-2013 at 08:14 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

The only advice i can give is trying to sing it at a slow pace. I have myself run into alternate picking lines that i know i can physically execute, but mentally it's not working. The best way i've found to work around it is to slow it down once again and sing every note so my brain and hands are on par with what they are dealing with.

When that doesn't work i've only had to accept that i am not mentally ready to play that, and move on. Coming back to it later after learning other less challenging (but still challenging) material and then being able to play it.

I know it's not much, but i hope it helps. I know the feel.

Cheers bro.

Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Dreamdancer11

A very good saying that works in this case is " if you can sing it,you can play it".So basically listen to the section you want to learn a couple of times and then try to sing it(using nanana lalala whatever phonetics you like).Doesnt have to be at the same speed of course just try to sing the correct notes though.Dont worry about mistakes or missing some notes here and there but its good practice cause you ll realize something...whatever you were able to sing with your mouth you were able to play it almost instantly....guaranteed.

Doing that, you are training your ear intensly and you are taking the load of your brain trying to memorize everything note for note like a school lesson .

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 08-25-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Facecut
Vorsitzender

I think you know the answer yourself, when your brain can't keep up yet you need to slow it down and be more patient. Memorize in medium sized sections and concentrate on cornerstones. Accentuation is your best friend. No secrets to you I guess.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facecut
Accentuation is your best friend.

That's actually some really smart insightful advice. Subconsciously I've always done it but to actually consider it consciously is really smart. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
My song is in 4/5 thank you very much. 4/5 keeps it easy. It tells the drummer to break it up into quintuplets and play 4/4.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
redd9

my hands cant keep up with my brain

sorry for the shitpost; good luck

(usually i play whilst reading the music so this isnt a problem for me)
redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Shor

I know your frustrations, but it's just that good old slowing down thing that needs to be done.
If you think less about increasing your speed, and more about increasing your accuracy it'll help. Just get over the idea that you are working on speed.. I often work on 120+ bpm licks at like 80-90bpm just to solidify everything in my muscle memory. It's very slow, but it is focused practice just to make sure everything is efficient, relaxed and controlled.
After doing that for a few days I can normally just bump up the bpm to around original tempo rather quickly...as I know my fingers are already capable of those tempos from years of practice.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Sam-Russell

I agree with Shor and Facecut, practice playing it perfectly at slow speeds until you don't need to think about playing it. I think it's John Petrucci's 'Rock Discipline' that says speed comes from practising playing accurately, not from playing fast.

Rate This Thread: