Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

No the third one with the black cloth cover should have v30s. Even if it has carvins speakers, they sound pretty good. The other too are good cabs, but the second one you listed is named wrong, the is just a c412, and depending on the year it will have celestion m70s, which sound like ass. Very shrill and no bottom end whatsoever.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
The second carvin looks like one of the ones with m70s steer clear. The third, however, is a v3 cab, which should have v30s. The Marshall obviously is fine, I don't know enough about blue voodoo cabs to really say anything about them

I'll probably just go ahead and order the third Carvin this morning then, unless I find something else. You're sure that it's a v3?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah, it has the right corners and if you look close you'll see the carvin logo in the bottom corner, that's a v3

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
No the third one with the black cloth cover should have v30s. Even if it has carvins speakers, they sound pretty good. The other too are good cabs, but the second one you listed is named wrong, the is just a c412, and depending on the year it will have celestion m70s, which sound like ass. Very shrill and no bottom end whatsoever.

I think the cover on it is metal as well, but with little circles or ovals cut out instead of diamonds. Does that make a difference? What will that second cab have other than M70's, if it's not the right year for those? What's the difference between the first and second Carvin cabs?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to figure this out

EDIT: Googled the v3 cab, and it has the same grill cloth/metal thing going on with the circles.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 10-19-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah I just looked and realized that it had the metal, thats fine, I forgot the v3s had the metal on it. That is definitely a V3 cab. If the other cab doesn't have M70s, it will most likely have carvin house brand speakers, but in that case I would still go with the V3 cab, if nothing else because it looks better and has the potential to have better speakers. As far as the difference between the first and second, the first one is an x100b cab as far as I know, again it will have carvins stock speakers. The logo on that one looks silly to me, which I know is a bad reason for not getting something, but when you can get the V3 cab for that price and it looks better, why not?

Edit: Let me check up on the second one a little more, I still think the V3 is probably the better deal, but I am curious. it may not be what I thought it was

Edit: I really think it will have the m70s, I wouldn't bother with it. again, the V3 may not have V30s, but if it doesn't it will still have carvin's speakers, which if I remember correctly are very V30ish.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded

Last edited by dementiacaptain : 10-19-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Yeah I just looked and realized that it had the metal, thats fine, I forgot the v3s had the metal on it. That is definitely a V3 cab. If the other cab doesn't have M70s, it will most likely have carvin house brand speakers, but in that case I would still go with the V3 cab, if nothing else because it looks better and has the potential to have better speakers. As far as the difference between the first and second, the first one is an x100b cab as far as I know, again it will have carvins stock speakers. The logo on that one looks silly to me, which I know is a bad reason for not getting something, but when you can get the V3 cab for that price and it looks better, why not?

Edit: Let me check up on the second one a little more, I still think the V3 is probably the better deal, but I am curious. it may not be what I thought it was

Edit: I really think it will have the m70s, I wouldn't bother with it. again, the V3 may not have V30s, but if it doesn't it will still have carvin's speakers, which if I remember correctly are very V30ish.

Honestly, I'll probably pop the logo off anyway. I'm gonna go for the V3 and if I can't get it, I'll get the first one. If neither of those, I'll see about getting the Marshall.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

if you like the bass and lower mids, i dunno if those celestions are going to do that (maybe the g12k, i haven't tried that one). g12t75 has a fair bit of bass but is pretty scooped in the mids. v30 is upper mids and rolled back bass (and treble). wizard (assuming it's like a g12h30) will be flatter in the mids (but still what mids there are are probably upper mids).

problem with wanting a cheap used cab is it's going to be loaded, odds are, with usual suspects speakers. probably v30s or g12t75s.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

In another thread I did, it basically came to the conclusion that a G12K-100 and V30 in an X pattern is the way I should go. I'm considering at this point that I might sell some extra shit I have laying around and just order something from White Box. Then I can get exactly the speakers I want with exactly the look I want in a 4x12 and have my 2x12 as an extra that I could mod later, should I want to. Not to mention, I could probably sell enough shit to get the wireless unit I've been eyeing too.

We'll see. At least if I decide to pick up a cheaper cab, I know what to look for. I'm probably going to start looking around more often on the local craigslist and in local shops and see if any gems pop up.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries

let us know what you end up going for

Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #30
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I definitely will. If I get anything new, I'll make sure to post a NGD
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I really want to try K100s, I am so attached to my texas heats I can't imagine liking anything better, but it seems like they would be awesome to keep around just for some brutal stuff.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded

Rate This Thread: