Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #21
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
You should get a BETTER amp. Your sound will still be shitty if you play through a shitty amp.

He hasn't even mentioned what amp he has.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
dannyalcatraz

True, but what are the odds?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
True, but what are the odds?

He's playing a Squier through a Splawn!

Not very good...probably a Line 6
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
He hasn't even mentioned what amp he has.

Looks like I confused this thread with another XD
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Looks like I confused this thread with another XD

There is a real good chance it's good advice here too though.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
t1mman

Anyway, I don't get the comotion around the amp and pickup, they're about the easyest thing to change.

And, most likely, unless you play in a band, you'd better be with an "emulator", like a Vypyr or a line 6 and you'll have plenty to play around with.

I think it's more important to find an instrument you feel comfortable with. And, eventually, grow into a new set of pickup, a nice valve amp and define your tone with this.
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Have you tried Craig's List? You might be able to find something decent used, cheaper than you'd pay at a place like Guitar Center. You can probably find a 15W amp used on CL for $30-40 too.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

I scored a vintage Japanese Epiphone for 100 bucks with a hardshell case. Guy didnt know what he had. Which was great for me.

Took everything I had to keep a straight face when he was telling me that Epiphones are just Gibsons that dont pass QC so the stamp the Epi name on it. I lold so hard when I got back in my truck.

TS, take your time. Play your little Squier until you got at least 300 saved. In the used world, 50 extra bucks can go along way. Especially 150 bucks. Be patient. Lurk Cragslist. And more importantly, ask the ass holes on this forum if its a good deal. Haha. We may be jerks, but we know our shit. Most of the time.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
New Medicine

Im playing through amplitube and a set of studio headphones. Go ahead and bust on it but I love the tones I am getting. Everything else was to large or expensive for what I needed
New Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
dannyalcatraz

Hey, that's basically how I started- I had a Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac played through a Korg Px4 and good headphones.

After a while of doing that, I bought a 40w Fender HRD 1x12 combo...but I still use my Korg Pandoras for practice (I now have a Px5).

The point is, though, you won't notice a significant difference in tonal quality playing through your device or a cheap amp unless you MASSIVELY upgrade the guitar.

I can easily tell the tonal difference between my Deans through my Korgs, but there is more than a $1000 price gap between them. Played through my Fender, though, you can tell the difference between a $200 guitar and a $500 guitar with the same ease. The better electronics simply reveal more of true character of the instruments.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 10-31-2012 at 10:06 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
samuraigoomba

Save a bit more. I made the mistake when I was getting into playing of just grabbing something cheap that felt okay. Yeah, that action was alright, but the tuners are garbage, the guitar has blah sound, no range and feels cheap.

If you buy another cheap guitar, even a slight upgrade (a mistake I also made, lol), it won't help. If you want a decent guitar, save up and spend the 300-400 for a good used guitar. You find some quality stuff on the used market for pretty cheap.

I have a cheap Schecter and the neck, high action and huge bolt-on piece piss me off. Have you played Schecters? You might find (as I did) that you really don't like them.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: