Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
simon.lundh8

Epiphone Pots

In a Gibson Les Paul you need long shaft pots if you want to change pickups, is it the same deal in an Epiphone LP standard? Do I have to buy extra L pots if I buy a
EMG Het Set for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

//Simon
simon.lundh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

My first bit of advice would be, unless you're hell-bent on getting as close to Hetfield's rig as possible, skip the Het Set. The EMG 57 and 66 models have the same look and near-identical sound and can be ordered from most shops for a tiny bit less than the Hetfield pickups. If you're worried those won't be 'metal enough', grab a regular 81 and 60 set. I've used almost every pickup that EMG make and the Hetfield pickups really aren't that special. In a blind test you can't pick them out from the other, similar-spec EMGs.

Some Epiphones can take short shaft, others need long shaft; simply open up the back of your guitar and see what pots are in their currently.

Just bear in mind that fitting EMGs into Les Pauls has become trickier now that you need to use the additional buss; you've got to fit more than just a battery in, now. Before oyu fit active pickups, do a test run by opening up the guitar and try to shove in two 9v batteries (even if you don't plan to do the 18v mod, the second battery can be a stand-in for the connection buss) and a few lengths of spare wire, to emulate how packed the control route will be with the EMG solderless kit. There's a good chance it may not all fit in if your guitar needs long shaft pots. Short shaft pots should be able to give you enough room to cram everything in. If your guitar does need long shaft pots, it might be a good idea to either have the inside of the top routed out to take short shaft pots, or use normal 25k pots, skipping the 'solderless' installation and wiring everything in the old fashioned way.

Rate This Thread: