Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
KSEjunkie2468

Stewmac, vs, Dimarzio Cooper Tape

Is there a difference between Stewmac, and Dimarzio copper shielding tape in quality? Or is it pretty much the same?
KSEjunkie2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Elderer
Banned

Paint it man. Shielding with tape is pain in the ass..
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Read post above.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
supersac

if you can get the paint do it but ive used regular no brand hardware store copper tape and i couldnt tell a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

There are basically two kinds of copper tape. One with conductive adhesive so when you overlay it, the strips form a continuous electrical connection. The other does not. You want the first type. \secondly, there are variations for high frequency limits.
Personally I'd paint the cavity and use foil on any covers with attention given to where they meet to ensure electrical connection of cover and cavity.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

IMO a power conditioner eliminates more noise than copper taping does. however i haven't used the paint.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Power conditioners don't help with neon signs, lamps and computers.

Just use the paint. Tape is only good for pickguards and cavity covers. Shielding paint is just as effective and far easier to apply, plus it's cheaper.

Bear in mind though that shielding can only do so much. If you get overwound single coil pickups, don't ground them poorly and play through a 100w, high-gain amp with the treble cranked and positioned under a flashing neon light with a laptop balanced next to it, you're going to get a lot of hum. Shielding, really, will only help remove some of the hum caused by radio interference. Other sources of hum are typically too strong for shielding to have any effect.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Power conditioners don't help with neon signs, lamps and computers.

Just use the paint. Tape is only good for pickguards and cavity covers. Shielding paint is just as effective and far easier to apply, plus it's cheaper.

Oh, thank you. Now, if I were to apply paint, the only place I would be able to really let it dry is my room, does this copper paint give off a scent or odor that would stink up a room? And, how long does it take for it to dry in your experience?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
t1mman

What kind of paint should be used?
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Elderer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman
What kind of paint should be used?

stewmac's website
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
MrFlibble

The stuff on Stewmac is actually a little overpriced. You can get shielding paint for less at most decent-sized hardware and DIY stores.

Shielding paint varies from brand to brand, but generally it's a 48-hour job. You apply one coat, leave it for 24 hours to dry, then apply a second coat, again leaving it 24 hours. Some people like to apply a third coat, though usually two is enough (one is enough in theory, but doing two gives you a better chance of definitely covering every surface).
Even after this time you might get a black, chalky residue on clothes or other parts of the guitar; this is an unfortunate drawback of the paint and can't be helped, other than to be careful with how you apply it, give it long enough to dry and don't go sticking your fingers all over it. If you do get any somewhere you don't want it, it's not an issue; shielding paint is water-based so it will wipe off with a warm, slightly damp cloth.

It can smell, like any paint, but not in a toxic way. If you've ever done any painting with water-based acrylic paint (the sort of thing model makers use) or good-quality oil paints, it's that same sort of smell. It's nowhere near as strong as spray paint, glue or anything else like that. It's still a good idea to open a window while you paint and as it dries, but it's not a big issue. I use it indoors all the time.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Since none of them actually make tape (most tape of any kind sold in the U.S. is made by the 3M corporation), there probably isn't any appreciable difference between them. Unless they specify that one is thicker than the other, either will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
The stuff on Stewmac is actually a little overpriced. You can get shielding paint for less at most decent-sized hardware and DIY stores.

It can smell, like any paint, but not in a toxic way. If you've ever done any painting with water-based acrylic paint (the sort of thing model makers use) or good-quality oil paints, it's that same sort of smell. It's nowhere near as strong as spray paint, glue or anything else like that. It's still a good idea to open a window while you paint and as it dries, but it's not a big issue. I use it indoors all the time.

I guess I should paint it and leave it in the basement for 24h hours then, rather than where I sleep, would you say?

Quote:

Just use the paint. Tape is only good for pickguards and cavity covers. Shielding paint is just as effective and far easier to apply....

So basically, if I didn't want to use the paint, I could just use the tape (although the painting would be a lot easier), and the tape in the cavities would be just as effective as the paint in the cavities?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Since none of them actually make tape (most tape of any kind sold in the U.S. is made by the 3M corporation), there probably isn't any appreciable difference between them. Unless they specify that one is thicker than the other, either will do.

Stewmac and Dimarzio sell copper tape.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
Stewmac and Dimarzio sell copper tape.

Yes, they sell it. I'll bet they don't make it. What I meant was that the copper tape is likely made by the same manufacturer and sold through different distributors who put their name on it, rather like many of the components of a television set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSEjunkie2468
I guess I should paint it and leave it in the basement for 24h hours then, rather than where I sleep, would you say?
Depends. Basements tend to not be good for guitars, but if yours is dry and neither particularly cold or warm then it might be fine.

To use myself as an example, I paint on the ******* table and leave stuff in the spare room to dry. Just keep it out of particularly humid rooms, away from radiators, open windows, that sort of thing.

Quote:
So basically, if I didn't want to use the paint, I could just use the tape (although the painting would be a lot easier), and the tape in the cavities would be just as effective as the paint in the cavities?
Yes. In terms of effectiveness there is no different between tape and paint. Tape is preferred by some simply because it is the older method of shielding and because with some types of copper tape you can solder wires directly to it. Paint is far, far easier and cheaper, though, plus the flat black of the paint tends to fit in with most guitars' looks better than copper foil does.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Yes, they sell it. I'll bet they don't make it. What I meant was that the copper tape is likely made by the same manufacturer and sold through different distributors who put their name on it, rather like many of the components of a television set.

+1 i bet if you looked around you could find copper tape cheaper because it wouldn't be branded. search on industrial dealers and you would probably pay a lot less.

i haven't found it, but i haven't looked. i am sure its out there.

3M would be the way to go if you can find it at a good price.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
KSEjunkie2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
+1 i bet if you looked around you could find copper tape cheaper because it wouldn't be branded. search on industrial dealers and you would probably pay a lot less.

i haven't found it, but i haven't looked. i am sure its out there.

3M would be the way to go if you can find it at a good price.

But with Stewmac copper tape, the self-adhesive backing of the tape is conductive itself, is it that way with the 3M?

As MrFlibble pointed out:

Quote:
shielding and because with some types of copper tape you can solder wires directly to it. Paint is far, far easier and cheaper, though,

Quote:
plus the flat black of the paint tends to fit in with most guitars' looks better than copper foil does.

Of course the tape or paint wouldn't be visible anyway.

Rate This Thread: