Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
pks330

Does my Guitar pedal Qualify as a Guitar to pc interface

I have a Digitech Gnx4

I have a Lot of instruments, and probably play more than anyone you know, I play over 15 different instruments, most are chordophone lutes, but some are aerophones, and membranophones. I want to know if My pedal is sufficient enough to record onto a PC with a guitar and a mic, or should I spend the $100-$200 to buy a specifically designed interface, Thanks!
pks330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Some Digitechs have guitar DI options but they're not very good. If you want to mic things then you'll need an interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
timbo63

Can you explain more what you want to do? I don't understand how you would just a pedal and mic into a PC (without an amp, or without a mic?).
timbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
face_the_fear

No matter what you do you are going to want a dedicated interface for recording. Especially when it comes to instruments. Vocals are okay but the input quality of on board sound cards are horrible mostly.

Look for a second hand Line 6 Toneport if you want something cheap but good. Very good for it's price actually. It has an input for your guitar which you can then record and monitor using the Line 6 software or even better download some free amp sims. There are some amazing ones out there. It also has an XLR input for a microphone too which works very well.
face_the_fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
MatrixClaw
UG God

Sure, the GNX4 can record directly into your PC via its USB interface, thus, you don't need something else, unless you just want higher quality or more inputs. I believe it also has a mic input, as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Actually, the GNX4 has a built in 8 track multitracker so you don't even need to hook it up to a PC for recording.

And the mic input has phantom power so you can use condenser mics as well as dynamic.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
pks330

I have an entire music setup, amps guitars etc. and 4 mics, two vocal condensors, and two instrument ones, The Gnx4 has a memory card, but the problem is how to use the memory card, like what software suits best? I have never ever used a pc for mixing or editing, and thusly don't even know where to begin. The digitech has Xlr inputs, 1.4" jack inputs, and a few others, it's very versatile, not that I know how to use it completely, but it seems very nice. What I want to do is: I want to play my guitars (Bass, acoustic, and electric) then add my mandolin+banjo, finish up with a Djembe and conga drum section, and then add woodwind, then vocals, I guess besides wether or not to buy an interface, I wanna know what the cheapest best software for doing all this would be?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pks330
I have an entire music setup, amps guitars etc. and 4 mics, two vocal condensors, and two instrument ones, The Gnx4 has a memory card, but the problem is how to use the memory card, like what software suits best? I have never ever used a pc for mixing or editing, and thusly don't even know where to begin. The digitech has Xlr inputs, 1.4" jack inputs, and a few others, it's very versatile, not that I know how to use it completely, but it seems very nice. What I want to do is: I want to play my guitars (Bass, acoustic, and electric) then add my mandolin+banjo, finish up with a Djembe and conga drum section, and then add woodwind, then vocals, I guess besides wether or not to buy an interface, I wanna know what the cheapest best software for doing all this would be?

The best advice is to go read the interfaces sticky.

Your GNX4 works as a multitracker, so you don't need any software if you want to use it. If you want to use software, you can use the memory card to transfer what you've recorded using the multitracker into a software based DAW.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
pks330

I read the interface sticky, thanks! But it doesn't answer my questions, it just tells me what interfaces to buy and what not to use. What does DAW mean? and As I stated I have never ever used a pc for music, and my pedal I have only used it to make simple 30 second single instrument recordings with the preprogrammed drum kits. The problem I have read on other places says my Gnx4 has sync problems if you use it solely, so that ties into my question whether or not this is a acceptable interface for what I want to do.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
MatrixClaw
UG God

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation.

It's the recording software you use to record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation. It means the equipment and/or software you use for recording, so your GNX4 is your DAW.

I don't know specifically about the GNX4 and how good/bad it may be, I've no direct experience in using one. However, look at it this way:
What you have is designed to be a multi effect pedal. The recording capabilities are an added bonus. If you're looking to do more than just record a few backing tracks to practice guitar to, then you've outgrown it.

Seems to me if you're asking about whether your current kit is good enough or not for what you want to do, that means you've already discovered it isn't.

In my opinion, you would be best off doing some proper thinking about what your recording ambitions are, then some proper research into your options.
  • If you just wanted to record backing tracks to practice to, then what you have would probably be sufficient.
  • If you want to start creating full on quality sounding recordings as a bit of an extra hobby a dedicated multitracker could be your best option.
  • If you want to get seriously into recording and consider it an option for a future profession, you need an interface and the appropriate software. This is also the best option if you think you may need any software based effects and instruments.

What exactly are you looking to do?
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
pks330

Music Is my passion, I live and breathe it, I may not be amazing at it, but a lot of professional musicians just play because they enjoy it. I would like to start off by testing the waters of hobby recording, and eventually try to move into professional. I work in a factory every day, and am going to school for business as a backup plan if I do not succeed, but as I am very interested in this venue of being a musician, I have no doubt I will have success if I try hard enough. I have a lot of instruments I can play that I own, that I'd want to incorporate into music recordings, such as:
All styles of electric and acoustic guitar and bass (6 total/ 3 acoustic/ 3 electric) Various Congas, and a Djembe, Flute/recorder/piccolo, Violin/Cello, Mandolin/Banjo, maracas/Tambourine.

I did indeed believe I was a little further progressed than the DAW I posses, but I wasn't sure because I have not thoroughly become acquainted with it. But a Great place to start is to identify my goals, Thank you.

Mixing and editing seem very very complicated, mostly because of the crazy # of knobs on mixers and such. Thank you for any further advice or information.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
timbo63

pks330, there are several different routes you can take for software, but here's my advice...

- check out the software options. I started with Cakewalk Home Studio (or something like that). For something in the $50 price range, you can get something that will give you very nice multi-track recording on any decent PC and let you learn the ropes. They can also get you going faster without needing to set a lot of advanced knobs and buttons.

- invest in a USB interface (not using the sound card!). You can get something that translates a couple of balanced mic inputs as well as line level (guitar) inputs pretty cheap and that will get your sounds to the recording software. You can find ones from M-audio pretty cheap.

- for your acoustic instruments, plan on a decent mic. You can't really capture the sound of those acoustic instruments with a junk mic. You'll see people recommend a $95 SM57 or similar.

So for the price of a couple affects you can be on your way. You're right that there are a lot of knobs and such. You just need to dive into it. Check the net when you get stuck and ask questions on the forums. But you just need to get a lot of experience. At some point, you may outgrow the above and need better stuff, but you can at least practice recording with the basics above. Unless you have lots of money, I would start with modest gear until you outgrow it.

I started out with a tape based Tascam Porta 2, and when I switched to digital recording on an old Win95 PC, it was 1000x easier. I was making pretty sophisticated multitrack mixes on the PC that sounded really nice. But you need to go through some struggles first with learning how to record and it sounds like you're ready for that.

Good luck!
timbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
pks330

Thank you very much, I have a set of Sterling mics, one is a Vocal, and one is an instrument, I paid $99 for the set on xmas sale from Dreaded GC. But I will most definitely look into the options you suggested. Music came so easy to me in the aspect of playing an instrument, but I guess I never really thought of the time I invested to get as experienced as I am. Like everyone I think I really want to just be able to do it instantly, but now that I step back, it has to happen just like how I started with My first guitar, perseverance, and patience. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
pks330

http://line6.com/podstudiokb37/

Being offered this, anyone have used it? Ease of use? Value

Rate This Thread: