Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
guilhermeeva

Question A guitar for me?

So, I want a new guitar. I have a Washburn X-10 (a beginner's guitar) and I want a new one. My amp is a Moug GS20. First off, my price range would be up to US$700. I want a heavy metal-oriented guitar, with a huge, massive, strong sound (mainly lows).
Also accepting 7-strings suggestions.

Not sure if this helps but I'll share a couple albums that influence my playing style as well:
Metallica - ...And Justice For All / Master of Puppets
Meshuggah - Nothing / obZen
Opeth - Blackwater Park / Ghost Reveries / Watershed / My Arms, Your Hearse
Between the Buried and Me - Colors

What do you suggest?
Thanks in advance!
guilhermeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

what don't you like about your washburn? Is your guitar set up professionally? If you can get it to play well, then I'll be that guy:

What you need is a new amp.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
guilhermeeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
what don't you like about your washburn? Is your guitar set up professionally? If you can get it to play well, then I'll be that guy:
What you need is a new amp.

Actually, I don't dislike it - but it's gotten old and rusty, and I feel I'm good enough for a new guitar. I don't play professionally, far from it, I've barely learned a few whole songs (this doesn't mean I'm not good - I'm just lazy and discouraged by the rusty guitar) but I can play, for example, any Metallica song very easily (except solos and a few harder ones like Dyers Eve). I'm just seeking overall a better guitar to play with and a better sound at that.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

If it's demotivating or discouraging you from playing, then I would say that a new guitar is in order (as long as you can get the sound you want out of your amp). I don't know enough about metal guitars to recommend you one, but I can say this:

If you plan on drop-tuning (many metal players do), than a longer scale length is good to have.

Mahogany is going to have a warmer tone than alder or basswood and most other tonewoods, so you might look at some mahogany guitars, heavier guitars as well.

If you can, play some guitars locally. Even if you don't find something you want, you might figure out what your preferences are, like the size/shape necks you like. Tell us what guitars feel better to you, and ones that you don't like. That will help you narrow down your search and find a guitar that is a good fit.

Be sure to look at the used market if you have one in your area. You can usually get guitars for a much lower price than retail if you go used.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

700's a lot, why not say go 300 for guitar and 400 for amp, unless you're not living in a dorm or a shed, you can get a great set up for that.

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
guilhermeeva

I live in Brazil, though. It's not going to be easy to find any guitar I want living outside USA, UK, Canada or countries like these.

I was also taking a look at the ESP LTD H308 and H338. I don't know much when it's about guitar specs. What are the differences between them?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
guilhermeeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
700's a lot, why not say go 300 for guitar and 400 for amp, unless you're not living in a dorm or a shed, you can get a great set up for that.

My guitar costs $200, a $300 one isn't gotta be much of an improvement, I think... and my amp is pretty good.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
gkex

Get an ESP dude. It's exactly what you are looking for. Pretty solid prices for the materials they use in a lot of cases. (Don't ever buy basswood)
gkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Bad Kharmel

many companies make a stock guitar that is mahogany with EMG 81/85 pickups, they are usually between $500-$1000, this is exactly what you want, just go to guitar stores ans ask for those specs, they all have them
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
guitaristguy
guitaristdude

I find that Epiphone les pauls are very good quality for the price and play really well with a good setup and those are usually a lot less than $700 however there is just nothing like the real deal (LP customs and such). They are good for heavy rhythm playing for stuff like Tool, Mastodon and bands like that

Ibanez would be the other brand I suggest, especially for 7 strings. I hear schecters are very nice but I think you might find better value in a solid RG series Ibanez. These guitars may sound a bit "thinner" to some but its all taste and what you want

I wouldn't recommend purchasing a guitar online unless you are absolutely sure you know how it sounds and you want it. I suggest finding your local guitar store and try out every guitar thats in your price range through an amp thats similar to yours. This way you get what YOU want and not what someone else tells you that you should want. Trust me Ive made the mistake of impulse buys online and although some are fun to play, the ones I play tend to be ones I tried out first.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Bad Kharmel

http://www.google.com/#q=emg+81+mah...iw=1047&bih=496 there's a million of these, they are pretty much THE METAL GUITAR prices vary by brand, and add-ons

Last edited by Bad Kharmel : 11-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Judging by this review, I'd say that your amp is crap for what you want to play. I'm not sure how you think it's adequate for playing Meshuggah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkex
Get an ESP dude. It's exactly what you are looking for. Pretty solid prices for the materials they use in a lot of cases. (Don't ever buy basswood)

Ignore this. Basswood is a great wood.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
guilhermeeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Judging by this review, I'd say that your amp is crap for what you want to play. I'm not sure how you think it's adequate for playing Meshuggah

It sounds a bit better here. But hey, I bought the amp with my Washburn guitar - I might upgrade it as well once I see how my new guitar fares with it.

Rate This Thread: