Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
sw4l

improv across the next

i have been working on window or box improvising and im not horrible now and im getting the hang of it but i ultimately wanna be able to fly up and down the neck and melodic with it but when i try to move up and down the neck it sounds very unmelodic so is there rules i have to follow or something im missing besides just knowing my scales?
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4l
i have been working on window or box improvising and im not horrible now and im getting the hang of it but i ultimately wanna be able to fly up and down the neck and melodic with it but when i try to move up and down the neck it sounds very unmelodic so is there rules i have to follow or something im missing besides just knowing my scales?

If you don't know the scales in different positions on the fretboard then you don't really know them.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

Melody comes from your mind's ear or soul or whatever people want to call it. It's the music you hear in your head. The main key is learning to really listen to what you want to play in your head. Listen to your backing and hum whatever melody comes to mind then figure out how to play it. It takes time and lot's of effort and practice. Be patient and persevere. You'll get there if you keep at it.

Of course knowing all of the box shapes and learning how to connect them together helps to build up your lick vocabulary. Just be careful that you don't fall into the pitfall of just letting your fingers take over and fly up and down the neck on autopilot or it will sound like what you described as being "very unmelodic."
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
If you don't know the scales in different positions on the fretboard then you don't really know them.

I know my scales it's just connecting them while moving positions up and down the neck it it doesn't sound very melodic to my ears.

@j dawg
Thank you for your input. You were actually helpful and I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
cdgraves

Play your scales continuously, from the lowest note avaialble on the neck to the highest.

That means if you're doing C major, start at the open low E string and go all the way up to the D on the 22nd fret of the high e.

Do the same scale patterns every time.

Then learn 4 note per string scales.

And take time to practice position changes intentionally. Having set of predetermined positional transition points will help you become more free in your improvising.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
bondmorkret

Fretboard visualisation is something that takes years to master, and requires a whole bunch of different approaches and strategies. Perhaps learn some different scale fingerings for existing scales that you know, or try playing your scale from each possible starting finger to cover more fretbaord space
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

what I did to learn how to travel the neck with ease is learn all the modal scales(3 notes per string) and their order. then I practiced playing them all on 1 string in different keys.

also its good to know your notes. lets say your playing with an Em backing track. knowing where the E note is across the neck will help you to not get lost easily.

this is just how I learned(self taught), so there might be a better way to do it. but it worked for me.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
sw4l

thanks for the replys i found a website called fret fury and it has a list of a few different scales but my question is, my thoery need some work i know, but if im playing in a key of A do i have to start my improv on the A note and finish with the note of A? like alot of simple progressions do?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Read J-Dawgs post again, it's the most relevant answer to the root of your problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: