Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
Nico the Great
Damned Icon

... So I had no idea that Meshuggah played the bass in the same octave... that actually sounds really cool. This thread has given me a lot of ideas .

But yeah, I'd do what Meshuggah does lol.

Damned Icon - Portraits of a Man EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Nico the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i realize that a lot of 7's are BEADGBE for tuning, and an eight at least somewhat commonly has FBEADGBE.

i am NOT going to argue with tuning and frequency occupation at different octaves.

i realize that such lowly tuned guitars have a different timbre than a bass, but...

what do you do with the bass? get a 5 string with the lower B, or do you go lower?

just curious. i am more of a standard tune type of guy but do have one in C# standard.

Some bassists tune their instruments ridiculously low; so low in fact that the strings practically flop around on the neck. To avoid this, others use ridiculously heavy strings. We're talking about a low "B: string that is as thick as the transatlantic cable. Other use different tricks to keep up the tension on the strings. One trick that they use is to cut a section of PVC pipe (about an inch) that is barely larger than the string diameter, then slide the string through it and then through the tailpiece of the bridge. This gives you more tension when you tune the thing. Personally, I hate playing a downtuned bass, but some people love it and it works for them.

And if that doesn't work, there are always the eight, ten and twelve-string basses. I don't mean basses that have octave strings like a twelve-string guitar. I'm talking about multiple single strings on a fretboard that is as wide as an ironing board. Not for the masses, but they do work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Dayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Granted, most bands that feature 7-string guitars will feature a bass with the extra bottom string. I was in a band where the bassist had a 6-string tuned down to F standard, so it's definitely possible to run a bass an octave below an 8-string guitar. The trouble there is that you're approaching the threshold of human hearing, at which point the bass is felt rather than heard.

The majority of the bass's tone in these contexts is not in the fundamental, but the harmonics. I can just barely hear 20hz myself. But, listening involves the ear and brain. When you hear overtones that imply a frequency you can't hear, your brain still hears it anyway. That's why you can hear low-pitched noises over a crappy phone.

But that's why people tune that low. There are different overtones than if you played it an octave higher, and your brain fills in the fundamental. It sounds incredibly different.

Rate This Thread: