Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Ignore

Bending properly

Hey, ive been playing a lot of blues over the past year, and ive never had a problem with bending. But as soon as i once had a left(fretting) hand pain because i played and played in a session without taking a break, ive been constantly conscious of any pain or bad technique because i want to keep playing.
So since bending is so present in blues ive been so conscious of my bending that i've actually un-learned it in a way, I no longer instinctively feel whats right and do it, but i rather think about how i can take the most pressure off of my fingers. And this is what im asking, ive heard about bending from the arm instead of the hand or fingers, not quite sure how to do this. And how bend are the fingers while bending a string for you guys by the way?

Last edited by Ignore : 05-03-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
wyldelife

First off, I hope you're using multiple fingers while bending?

Marshall MG 250DFX
Line 6 HD500
wyldelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Ignore

yeah ofcourse, and i didnt have a problem with it for a long time, it's just that ive gotten so conscious of it that it doesnt feel natural anymore. And it seems as though most of my bending energy comes from my fingers, which ive heard is wrong.
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Metalloy

twist your wrist to bend.
Metalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
rabbittroopsux

i was going to make a very similar topic. i am a pretty competent player but bends have become a noticeable weak point. i also bend mostly from my fingers. i can typically bend to pitch, and do tremolo well, but in some situations my bends dont have enough strength to get the job done.

its typically when a grace note bend is placed in the middle of a semi rapid riff, when there is very little time to do the bend.

for example:
16th notes, played rapidly
Code:
|-----------------------| |--20--17---------------| |----------19(21)--19---| |-----------------------| |-----------------------| |-----------------------|

very common in blues licks, often played very fast, with 0.1 seconds or less to go from playing the note on the 17th fret to completing a full bend two frets up.

its been suggested tos use multiple fingers to bend, which i typically do. but i dont see how you can in this context. and lack of strength causes me to only get a half bend off or play something like this instead.

Code:
|--------------------| |--20--17------------| |----------19--(21)--| |--------------------| |--------------------| |--------------------|

sometimes the string will just slip out from under my finger.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore
Hey, ive been playing a lot of blues over the past year, and ive never had a problem with bending. But as soon as i once had a left(fretting) hand pain because i played and played in a session without taking a break, ive been constantly conscious of any pain or bad technique because i want to keep playing.
So since bending is so present in blues ive been so conscious of my bending that i've actually un-learned it in a way, I no longer instinctively feel whats right and do it, but i rather think about how i can take the most pressure off of my fingers. And this is what im asking, ive heard about bending from the arm instead of the hand or fingers, not quite sure how to do this. And how bend are the fingers while bending a string for you guys by the way?

ah, I know this problem. Multiple fingers, twist wrist, and make sure you have your thumb over the neck for support. I know that this isn't 'classical' position, but for bluesy bends, you can't rely on finger strength alone, so you must be able to switch from classical for fast runs and thumb ova tha neck for blues bends
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
sweetdude3000

sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

I made a beginner lesson on string bending which explains the proper technique. Hope it helps:

Beginner Lesson on String Bending
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: