Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
TrebleGear

Chord Muting

Hey there!
I know this might be a nooby question from me, but there is a part of a song I wan to learn that goes as following:
E A D G B e
X 3 2 0 1 0

It's G, D, A, C
Here is the question. Please answer if you know. From the E to D chord, there is 2 strings, E and A, that stop being played in D. And from D to A string e stops being played. How do I mute those strings? Is there a specific technique?

While we're in the muting topic, listen to the American Rejects' "Move Along". How does the guitarist mute the chords? It's probably barre chords, but is it possible to make the same effect in open string situations?
TrebleGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Celestus

You should not hit them when you're strumming. Though for the D chord if you want to, you can put your thumb lightly on the E and A strings, therefore muting them, although it really isn't difficult to just not hit the strings, and it's much more beneficial to learn it that way. As for the A chord, your thumb wont reach there, so just use the flesh on your fretting fingers to lightly touch the high E string, preferably the ring finger, that's on the B string. That's how I do it, atleast.

As for the Move Along, I think they're either using an extra finger of the fretting hand to mute the chord by placing the finger on all of the strings right after strumming, or they're using the palm of the picking hand, although I think the first option is easier, dunno, really.

Edit: P.S. It would be really good for you if you read the lessons on muting.

Last edited by Celestus : 05-17-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Celestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
TrebleGear

Alright thanks bro! I thought about doing stuff like that but I was just wondering if there was one of those mumbo jumbo guitar tricks I was missing out on. Thanks!
TrebleGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: