Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #341
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

That's always a good idea. Definitely check out the store near your school. One thing to consider though is that many keyboards with built-in sounds are also midi-compatible and can be used as controllers. This is more common with synths than digital pianos, though I know that some DPs can be used as controllers. I'm just not entirely sure which ones.

The disadvantage is that they generally give you less controllers than a dedicated controller, so they aren't always as useful for midi applications, though they work fine for inputting notes or basic control of softsynths. But since you don't seem to have midi stuff in mind as your primary thing, you should be fine.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #342
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng117
Should I just learn both hands separate until I can play both lines flawlessly without thinking, then very slowly add both hands together? Can anyone share any exercises that might help?

That can work but I think learning both together slowly is a better idea then slowly speed up.

Learn your chords and locations. Once you get those down its not so bad, as chording becomes easy fast.
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #343
jwizzle5786
JJ

Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a keyboard, and figured it would be better to bump this thread than to make a new one.

So, for price, I want something around 200-400 dollars. I can go higher, though it would just take me longer to save up that money.

I want to be able to fully play with sounds. Like, I want to be able to put in sounds of trombones and violins and usual keyboard / synth wank.

I'm not too terribly tech savy, so I'm not sure how well I could work a Midi keyboard. I would also not really want to play with my laptop, so I would like to avoid this option all together.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Full-S...ywords=keyboard

That seems to be along the lines of what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?

Last edited by jwizzle5786 : 09-21-2012 at 12:03 AM.
jwizzle5786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #344
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwizzle5786
Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a keyboard, and figured it would be better to bump this thread than to make a new one.

So, for price, I want something around 200-400 dollars. I can go higher, though it would just take me longer to save up that money.

I want to be able to fully play with sounds. Like, I want to be able to put in sounds of trombones and violins and usual keyboard / synth wank.

I'm not too terribly tech savy, so I'm not sure how well I could work a Midi keyboard. I would also not really want to play with my laptop, so I would like to avoid this option all together.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Full-S...ywords=keyboard

That seems to be along the lines of what I'm thinking. What do you guys think?

I'm not really into sample based keyboards but if you can stretch your budget to 500 the Yamaha mm6 is great.

In my opinion sample based keyboards more so than other instruments are really you get what you pay for. Your best bet is to go try out a few in your price range.

With all that say I am more into midi an analogue keys, but theogonia77 ca prob help you out in your price range.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #345
NothingRocks
( ͡͡ ͜ &

Does anyone know of a good Marimba or Vibraphone Kontakt library?

Awakia Facebook Page

Anime List
Music
Youtube
NothingRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #346
jwizzle5786
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
I'm not really into sample based keyboards but if you can stretch your budget to 500 the Yamaha mm6 is great.

In my opinion sample based keyboards more so than other instruments are really you get what you pay for. Your best bet is to go try out a few in your price range.

With all that say I am more into midi an analogue keys, but theogonia77 ca prob help you out in your price range.

Thanks. I really don't wanna go to 500, because then I'll just be tempted to go higher and get like a korg or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPG-23...=I31VPUH2QV4TXD

That seems to be pretty much what I want. I think.
jwizzle5786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #347
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRocks
Does anyone know of a good Marimba or Vibraphone Kontakt library?

If you find any let me know!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #348
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Can't get this POS to work. Its a ART MConnect MIDI to USB adapter...I want to use midi in on my ESQ-1 to program...when I get a good riff...so I don't have to play and program...
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #349
rabidguitarist
Ethnomusicologist

Quote:
If you find any let me know!

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kon...ments/downloads

Go down to the '9 World Instruments' download- there's a really nice Marimba NKI in there. You might have to sign up, but it's worth it for those 9 instruments.
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
rabidguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #350
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidguitarist
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kon...ments/downloads

Go down to the '9 World Instruments' download- there's a really nice Marimba NKI in there. You might have to sign up, but it's worth it for those 9 instruments.

thanks i will give it a try!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #351
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Anyone own a DX-7. I got one nearby I could get for $200. Not sure if I want to spend money. but is it worth it? I just bought a CZ-1000 and a talkbox...but trying to save money to move out...the question is...should i stretch my monthly music budget? I like this one is local...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #352
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Anyone own a DX-7. I got one nearby I could get for $200. Not sure if I want to spend money. but is it worth it? I just bought a CZ-1000 and a talkbox...but trying to save money to move out...the question is...should i stretch my monthly music budget? I like this one is local...

I see this was over a month ago but did you buy that DX-7 ? I want one. I'm in love with NI FM8 right now. Wow.. sigh...
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #353
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
I see this was over a month ago but did you buy that DX-7 ? I want one. I'm in love with NI FM8 right now. Wow.. sigh...

Nah I had just bought the CZ-1000 and an offer got accepted on hosue i was looking at at the time so timing wasn't right :/

CZ actually isn't that much different sounding. I prefer my ESQ-1 over both synths though...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #354
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

So do any of you guys actually play keyboard? It seems like 90% of the people in this thread only care about using MIDI controllers to plunk notes into their DAWs but don't actually play keyboard with any level of proficiency.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #355
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

I own a CZ-1000 and ESQ-1 so I can play a bit of the boards :p

Even when I record midi I play it, but then I usually clean it up a bit if I can't get it perfect after 2-3 attempts.

I also use to rock a keystation 61es w/ FL Studio live with my band. Midi controller but I played it all live. If I ever get back to playing live I want to take my CZ and use it. ESQ to heavy :/

Last edited by FireHawk : 11-20-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #356
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
So do any of you guys actually play keyboard? It seems like 90% of the people in this thread only care about using MIDI controllers to plunk notes into their DAWs but don't actually play keyboard with any level of proficiency.
We've all been too busy plunking notes into your DAWs for the last year to notice this..

But yes, I'm a piano player. How about the rest of you musicians? Are you still out there?
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: