Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Vermeuln

Question Creating specific sounds

Hello

I'm new on the forum, so I don't know if I'm doing this the right way, but I've got a question.
I'm a "beginning" guitar player, in the sense of creating my own stuff.
I can play lots of existing songs, but I want to take it to the next level; I'm forming a band with some of my friends.

This is my first question: are there specific chords (I know there's lots of them) that come together with feelings of, for example, the ocean, or the forest, ...?
Because, apart from writing my own lyrics and riffs etc, I want to be able to express things/feelings with my music.

Thank you
Vermeuln

PS I'm not English, so there might be some grammar/spelling mistakes.
PPS I've never had lessons, so I'm not able to read notes yet. But this is going to change next year.

Last edited by Vermeuln : 06-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Vermeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

a chord won't do much for you. it's how everything plays together rhythmically, harmonically, tonally. there's a context that needs to be established, and the best way to learn to do this is actually to learn existing music that already pushes into the sounds/feelings you're looking for.

say you're building a puzzle. chords, scales, time and key signatures, notes, these are each little puzzle pieces, or groups of puzzle pieces, but you're kind of flying blind as to what your end result to be when you're aiming at the building blocks rather than the end result. this can lead to some interesting or unconventional outcomes, but it is quite frustrating when you're new to composition. being able to view music in its entirety and pick it apart - where harmonies and melodies and transitions become form, and all the pieces of the puzzle begin to assume value beyond their individual contribution - it's like seeing the picture on the puzzle box, and it's extraordinary how many people overlook that gift.

onto the matter at hand, your best bet wouldn't be conventional rock instruments, but it can't hurt to give it a try

this might not be the exact feel you have in mind, but the simplicity and careful treatment of the piece really shines and the treatment of each individual timbre helps to bring the listener somewhere they may not have been before. it takes a lot to connect to the listener on that level, but again, it's not gonna hurt anything if you try it and it doesn't work out. music is a big experiment - try something out. if it doesn't work, try something else. have fun with it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
bondmorkret

Associations in music are VERY subjective. Play different chords and melodies, and listen to how they make YOU feel. That's all that matters
Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Vermeuln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
a chord won't do much for you. it's how everything plays together rhythmically, harmonically, tonally. there's a context that needs to be established, and the best way to learn to do this is actually to learn existing music that already pushes into the sounds/feelings you're looking for.

say you're building a puzzle. chords, scales, time and key signatures, notes, these are each little puzzle pieces, or groups of puzzle pieces, but you're kind of flying blind as to what your end result to be when you're aiming at the building blocks rather than the end result. this can lead to some interesting or unconventional outcomes, but it is quite frustrating when you're new to composition. being able to view music in its entirety and pick it apart - where harmonies and melodies and transitions become form, and all the pieces of the puzzle begin to assume value beyond their individual contribution - it's like seeing the picture on the puzzle box, and it's extraordinary how many people overlook that gift.

onto the matter at hand, your best bet wouldn't be conventional rock instruments, but it can't hurt to give it a try

this might not be the exact feel you have in mind, but the simplicity and careful treatment of the piece really shines and the treatment of each individual timbre helps to bring the listener somewhere they may not have been before. it takes a lot to connect to the listener on that level, but again, it's not gonna hurt anything if you try it and it doesn't work out. music is a big experiment - try something out. if it doesn't work, try something else. have fun with it

Thank you. This will be helpful. I should've used better words like you did, now it looks as if I don't know a thing about music, but I don't have the feeling I'm "new" anymore. I have been experimenting, and have finally finished the concept and some things like intro, solo, riff, lyrics for my first (good) song.

It's the tips you guys give me, that help me. And I'm certainly inspired by many artists; I do agree that you NEED existing music unless you're Bach or Van Beethoven.

Bonobo-Black Sands did give me a nice calm feeling, and on reflection, that's just what I wanted to feel. Thanks!

And I like to have the opinion of another musician (experienced or not), because I don't know everything and there is too much to know to know everything.
Vermeuln is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: