Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
fishiboi

Fitting a floating Floyd Rose Trem?

Hey, I was given a cheap Aria STG003 for free and since I've never modded a guitar before, I've decided to take a challenge on making it decent. Currently fitted on it is a pretty basic trem but I want to put a Floyd Rose floating bridge on it. Will I need to route the guitar for a platform for it to sit in if I want to have it floating?
fishiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
earthwormjim

You don't have to do a recessed route for it to be fully floating. A non-recessed Floyd can be set up to float, there just isn't as much bend up range in this configuration, and you will need some neck angle to compensate for the bridge sitting this high.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
and you will need some neck angle to compensate for the bridge sitting this high.

+1
people seem to forget about that!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
fishiboi

I see, I guess without routing I'll only get a step, maybe 2, note change. I think I might just route it to let it sit in, it might be more work but it'll give me something to do.
Oh and I would have forgotten about changing the neck angle
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
earthwormjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiboi
I see, I guess without routing I'll only get a step, maybe 2, note change. I think I might just route it to let it sit in, it might be more work but it'll give me something to do.
Oh and I would have forgotten about changing the neck angle

You can get more than 2 steps, 3 minimum I'd say unless the bridge is almost flush with the body.

How much do you really need anyway?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
fishiboi

I suppose so, I'm just wondering how high the bridge will sit. I've just ordered the trem anyway so we shall see.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
fishiboi

Right so the trem has turned up, when sitting it flush to the body it sits quite high. So that means I should either angle the neck to compensate or get someone to route the body out for me. Is it possible to run into any problems with angling the neck such as playability?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
earthwormjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiboi
Right so the trem has turned up, when sitting it flush to the body it sits quite high. So that means I should either angle the neck to compensate or get someone to route the body out for me. Is it possible to run into any problems with angling the neck such as playability?

All tune-o-matic guitars have neck angle, they seem to play fine.

Try a cut up credit card first, see if that's enough angle.

2-3 degrees seems to be the consensus for strat guitars with a non-recessed floyd.

Rate This Thread: