User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #721
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
^It probably deserves its own thread. There are a few knowledgeable sages on this forum who can help you with an upright. Just remember: the price of the bass is only the beginning. $75.00 to $110.00 for a set of strings; transducer or bridge piezo pickups; cases the size of Noah's Ark and the labor costs for a good setup by a tech who knows what he or she is doing...it all adds up.

My better half calls mine the 200 USD money pit My upright was a student loaner that I got for under 2K. I still had to replace the bridge, sound post, tail pin and plan the fretboard. And good strings actually get into the 200 USD range. It sounds great now but I've got at least as much into the bass as what I paid for it. A good soft case will run you at least 100 bucks and yes, its the size of a body bag for a large man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #722
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
To be honest, we're really moving away from the era of needing an 8x10 to be heard. It's actually pretty inefficient in design in terms of sound and weight.

If I were you, I'd look at a couple of 4x10s or maybe even a pair of 2x12/2x10s which you stack vertically. Lighter, and they'll probably sound nicer as well.

Having said that, I've used Hartke 8x10's in the past and they've been nice. Pretty bright, but you can dial that down and get a pretty good rock sound from them.

Depends on what you're looking for from it!

Also, TimeOut London described my band as a "Budding bluesy, all-gal rock 'n' roll outfit". There is so much wrong with that sentence I don't know where to begin!

Ahh. Thanks!

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #723
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

Anyone know what kind of bass was used on Pink Floyd's "Hey You" ? If I ever get a fretless, I want that tone.

SIX GUN KID https://www.facebook.com/6gunkid
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #724
Dixi1801

Just a post to say thanks for such a great thread!

Thanks to this, I'm looking at getting a Peavey Millennium for my first bass at xmas, would have had no idea it existed if I'd not read this thread!

Thanks again OP
Dixi1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #725
Sliide90027

Wow, a Bass Forum that actually acknowledges that Wood effects Tone.

Ahhhhhh!

No liitle girls with cute exotic wood boutique basses with butterfiles who think wood has nothing to do with anything, only the cute shape and label.

Makes me feel warm fuzzy all over.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #726
erlando
Banned

Question for you bass players: Are you aware that you are all ******s?
erlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #727
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Question

I am transcribing a song and became pretty sure that during the main riff, they are hammering the fifth and not the typical root. It's a simple very heavy riff with power chords. However, when I put that into the score it sounds somewhat terrible and not right

I know that root or playing with octaves of it or otherwise using intervals shortly works well but this is the first time I've encountered something like this. I also have a question if guitar power chords don't really work on bass (I have trouble hearing low pitch especially chords), and I have to ask here because I don't have a bass so I could try and make sense of it.

So essentially I mean, does playing the 5ths of melodies not work (I mean the second note of what would be a chord for those who don't know what I mean) or is it just guitar pro that sucks?
I hope that made sense I am drinking, happy new year cheers

Last edited by fanapathy : 12-31-2012 at 04:47 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #728
JAHellraiser

jeeze, half a year since anyones posted in here?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #729
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Well here's a new question for you all, six months later.

At some point in the next year or so, I am going to need a bigger amplifier for live playing. But I don't have a whole lot of space, and the chances are that it will need to be stored upstairs too, though I'm trying to make room downstairs just in case. Is there any kind of equipment that will work and be heard in a live setting and not either weigh a ton or be larger than my bed?

I mostly play rock. - Hard/ classic/bluesy/southern. But I'm also starting to branch out into mellower stuff and there might be an opportunity to join my church band in the near(ish) future. Budget is adjustable, I can save up if I need to. I haven't set any aside for it yet because honestly I know next to nothing about them. Most of my GAS is for Basses themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #730
Nutter_101

If you want volume, depending on your location you want to look at either fEARful cabinets or Barefaced (in the UK). They're expensive, but super loud if you have an amp that can supply the beans.

With regards to amplification, anything 500W+ is good. For lightweight, check out Markbass, Genz Benz, the new Warwick LWA 1000, or TC Electronic.

My personal preference is the Warwick amp, 1000W at 4Ohms, two independent channels, and it looks damn sexy.

Of course, the issue with light weight and high volume is high price!

Quote:
<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Nutter_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #731
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser

We are all just super drunk. All the time.

Seriously though I might write a new FAQ myself because I have the time.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #732
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser

Well; here's a question: Why is it that you never hear of a bassist serial killer? Between egomaniacal singers and egomaniacal guitarists, you'd think we'd be naturals at it.

Is it just the liquor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #733
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Quote:
If you want volume, depending on your location you want to look at either fEARful cabinets or Barefaced (in the UK). They're expensive, but super loud if you have an amp that can supply the beans.

With regards to amplification, anything 500W+ is good. For lightweight, check out Markbass, Genz Benz, the new Warwick LWA 1000, or TC Electronic.

My personal preference is the Warwick amp, 1000W at 4Ohms, two independent channels, and it looks damn sexy.

Of course, the issue with light weight and high volume is high price!

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I don't have a set deadline , so I have time to save if needed. And I don't mind spending a little more if it saves my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #734
careezma
Banned

Discover a Proven Method for Quickly and Easily ‘Programming’ Your Hands to Play Complex Guitar Chords, Scales and Strums Like a Professional!

http://playguitarjamorama.blogspot.com/
careezma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #735
Iwantastrat
Banned

Call me a noob, but...

Don't judge me at all, but why is the bridge on a Bass guitar further down than a regular electric Guitar?
Iwantastrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #736
Spaz91
Turd polisher

To increase the scale length without making the neck stupidly long.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: