Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
stepchildusmc

'62 Gibson

this just might be the rare NGD for me...either with pride at my ingenious precognitive abilities to determine a spectacular deal or at my immense stupidity.
i just bought a '62 Gibson acoustic guitar sight unseen for $250. it'll be in my hands 3 weeks from today.
that is all that i know of it. no model, no color. just a 1962 Gibson acoustic guitar with no visible cracks, scratches or other assorted damage(as told to me by someone with a lot of guitar knowledge...he can tell an electric from an acoustic). comes with original case. it's been sitting in a closet for the last 19 years untouched since the original owner died(and who wasn't known to be a guitar player) i may get a case with some wood that has been home to Templeton the rat's cousin's girlfriend's brothers neighbor's trough-mate or i may get a very rare piece of music history...frankly, either way it's pretty exciting. the guy i'm getting it from offered to open the case and tae some pics for me before i buy it but i passed on that...i wanna be the one to open it.
apparently, it was a wedding gift from his new bride's father...wanted him to learn and be a part of the rest of the musical family but it never took. probably still has the original strings.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Either way, you're in for an interesting discovery! That alone will be worth the price.

(It IS cheaper than a session with a psychotherapist...)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 09-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Auriemma
Still Strummin'

Sounds like an interesting HNGD coming your way. I truly hope it works out.

Oh... and pics will be expected.
Ovation '06 Elite-T 1868T
Epi '11 ES339 Pro
Bradley '77 LP Custom
Squier '99 P-bass
Boss GT-100
Auriemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
stepchildusmc

well, if it doesn't work out, i DO have a fireplace in my guitar room and it's starting to get chilly here in NY already........
let's see...softwoods burn short and hot and hardwoods cooler, but longer....hmm.......
Old 09-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
...[ ]....let's see...softwoods burn short and hot and hardwoods cooler, but longer....hmm.......
So you should get a medium fire with the mix of woods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Either way, you're in for an interesting discovery! That alone will be worth the price.

(It IS cheaper than a session with a psychotherapist...)

Only if the surprise doesn't drive you into Psychotherapy...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
tuxs

Wow.. I hope it turns out good. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

if not tuxs, your invited over for s'more's and beer.
i gave an almost complete stranger $250 cash to bring me a guitar out of his closet that nobody as far as i know has played since at least 1979. probably 1963-ish.
he's a delivery guy for a convenience store where i stop for gas. comes up to my area every 3 weeks. hopefully i can salvage a decent guitar out of it. it's probably dry as hell but he said it has no cracks on the top at least. its a chance but without risk, there is no reward.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
tuxs

I don't know what your humidity is like, but chances are it will be fine. I wish I was in the states at the moment for the Americas Cup yacht racing. Its in San Francisco and we are kicking arse.
Cheers
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
ccannon1
Band Geek

Man I'm excited to find out what it is haha
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

hey tuxs...sorry about the Cup. looks like we're keeping it here at home again this year!!!!
anyway... my $250 blind Gibson guitar purchase has yielded a 1962 Gibby B25 parlor guitar.
mohogany back and sides. 'hog neck, spruce top in Tobacco sunburst. it's really dried out. i'm gonna stick a humidifier in the case for a few weeks and then see how it goes. the intonation's still good, the neck is bowed in a bit. after 19 years of not being touched, only 2 strings were out of tune ! there is some very minor cracking in it. gonna bring it to an expert to see what's fixable. with a value of 1k to 3k from what i find online, i'm not dumb enough(or am i???) to attempt to fix anything on it myself.the bridge is just starting to lift a bit... this gibby and humidity haven't spoken in decades !
i haven't checked the serial # yet ( #904667 if anyone's handy with gibson serial decoding) but i'll get around to it.
all in all, not a bad investment. i've gotta figure out how to delete pics on my camera as the memory's full and i cant use it. i took some pics on my phone but have no idea how to post them on my computer. i'd rather figure out the camera, much better resolution. i took a pic of it next to one of my Taylor GS' and a Dread and the gibby looks like a child's toy comparitively.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
stepchildusmc

Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
ccannon1
Band Geek

wow! happy ngd!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
tuxs

Well I'm absolutely gutted with the cup. The whole country is in meltdown. Winning 8-1 out of, best of nine and we lost.

Anyways good news with the gibby. Would have to be the buy of the year. I like that parlor size. Yeah some picx would be good and keep the info coming. Cheers
Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Captaincranky

I think I'm jealous! That vintage hippie strap is probably worth fifty bucks alone. HNGD....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxs
Well I'm absolutely gutted with the cup. The whole country is in meltdown. Winning 8-1 out of, best of nine and we lost.
Even though I'm an American that sounds unjust. How the f**k is that even possible???

(As you can tell, I don't follow yacht racing).

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

i guess i really got a two-fer in GAS. filled the tank while getting a stiffie for a new guitar !
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

humidified the Gibby for a week and the bridge settled back down so i restrung it tonite. the neck straightened right up. not a bad sounding little box but i can't stand the neck. it makes my Ovations seem like they have 2" fretboards. that little 1 5/8" neck is just too small. i can't figure out how that guitar style was so popular back then. only 7 yr olds could appreciate them.
so now i'm gonna either keep it as wall art or try to find a nice home for it.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
tuxs

How about tuning it to open and using it as a slide. Or have you tried it with a capo.

Really its only 1/16 smaller than my Taki.

Wall art.... WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT. Cheers
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxs
...[ ]....Really its only 1/16 smaller than my Taki.
That depends on the distances between E-6 & e-1, which are necessarily dependent on the distance of each from the side of the neck. More distance to the side of the neck, moves E-6 closer to e-1, and a more narrow track for your fingers. I had a Guild Starfire III which had a very narrow neck. I never really liked the guitar.

Plus, I don't get parlor guitars. Nothing against people who are enthusiasts. Give me a dread or jumbo.

Maybe I associate them with Jane Austin novels, and screechy sopranos singing along with them. Maybe I need a reality check. That said, I still wouldn't waste a Gibson on a wall. Epiphone, only a maybe. Although, my Epi 12 string pissed me of so bad, I threw it away outright.

Rate This Thread: