Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

Help me out guys.

Hey guys, I frequent the GG&A and EG forums a lot and I've never posted in here (So none of you know who I am.

Just thought I'd drop in and ask some Bass related questions for you.

I've noticed (Due to my building of a very small studio in my house) I have no bass yet and I'm considering a few basses, I only have a very limited budget of up to £250 British pounds (I'm in England, so many companies like Agile are out) I'd like to go new if possible (but open to used, it's just that I have no idea what I'd be getting used and I'd have to trust your judgement)

The stuff I'm writing is metal, I am open to other genre's (and I have to be for College, which is fine by me) so what do you guys suggest for basses?

I was looking at the various Dean's and BC Riches for basses. (But I'm guessing you'll tell me to avoid if you're anything like EG is)

Now that's out the way, I'm wondering are there any good tutorials and stuff for various bass genre's) such as Funk and Jazz and stuff. I have a limited knowledge of theory too.

Last question I promise! What's the difference in recording straight into a audio interface by a line in VS an amplifier and which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks very much guys!

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

recording through a DI more or less is the sound of the guitar. if you use an amp, you get the character or colour to the sound that the amp gives. one method i have used lately due to being strapped for time in the main studio at college, is plugging straight into logic through DI, lay a track down edit it, arrange it and so on, then eventually play it via the computer, through the amp and record that in the live room with a full mic setup. because there is no colouring or hum from the amp when you use a pure DI, you have the option of more control over your playing.
if i had more time and the resources available, i would record through amp and mic and DI simultaneously. with even more time/resources i'll just add more mics to the amp just because i can and hey, it might work out for the better.
in terms of bass, yamaha rbx 375 (or 375 if you want a 5er) i got my 375 for £258 of of GAK and it is a tad magnificent. the active pickups will also give you and edge in metal etc.
as for tutorials/lessons youtube is your friend. a lot of established, well known bassists have dvds out, which have been uploaded. i picked up a lot in terms of groove and beat from the victor wooten dvd and the tm stevens video was also pretty good. there are also loads of lesser known bassists with videos up showing techniques, exercises and a whole manner of useful stuff.

Last edited by moody git : 02-28-2013 at 08:58 PM.
moody git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.

There's nothing wrong with going second hand. If it's your first bass then you're not going to need a perfect top of the line instrument. Gumtree is your friend. And Ebay.

In terms of BC Richs? Na. There's a damn good reason why the electric guitar section dislikes them as well. It's not a case of prejudice because they are metal specific instruments, they're just not very good. You're paying for a fancy shape and no tone to back it up.

For learning multiple different genres, you should get your theory down first, it's pivotal. Seriously, you have no idea how much easier learning different styles becomes when you know theory.
Think of it like this. If you go in blind with no knowledge of theory then you're going to have to learn a full new style each time, rather than learning the basics and then simply differentiating between them to form different genres.

New E.P available now.
Casketcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
chatterbox272

Yup I wouldn't get too close to Dean or B.C. Rich if I were you. I believe moody git meant to say the Yamaha RBX374 for a 4 string or Yamaha RBX375 for a 5 string, and I second this recommendation, my RBX375 sounds amazing in both my concert band and my punk pop band as well as the occasional metal recording I do.
Also the Squier Vintage Modified series and Classic Vibe series are supposed to be good, as well as the Ibanez SR series.

Best tutorials I've found for bass ever are Scott Devine's videos on youtube (scottsbasslessons). He also has a website with a bunch of extra stuff.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Last edited by chatterbox272 : 03-14-2013 at 10:49 AM.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

The only lesson you need on playing funk.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Suede

I so Fvcking love that "lesson" Because he doesn't explain sheet, but at the same time, you realize that's the only way of explaining funk. Plus, it makes me laugh my arse off!

... Lots of mispelled cursing, isn't it?

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah

Look into the Squire VM series, great basses at awesome prices, highly recommended on this here forum!!

As for recording, I've always DI'd. I recorded the bass cuts for an EP just last week, and found great tones just using my bass and Vtech 21 pedal, which is a great little amp modeller/tone pedal as well as messing with a Muff'n for fuzz tones, I've just always had better results this way, but try different things out, s'all about the quest for lush tones!
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
recording through a DI more or less is the sound of the guitar. if you use an amp, you get the character or colour to the sound that the amp gives. one method i have used lately due to being strapped for time in the main studio at college, is plugging straight into logic through DI, lay a track down edit it, arrange it and so on, then eventually play it via the computer, through the amp and record that in the live room with a full mic setup. because there is no colouring or hum from the amp when you use a pure DI, you have the option of more control over your playing.
if i had more time and the resources available, i would record through amp and mic and DI simultaneously. with even more time/resources i'll just add more mics to the amp just because i can and hey, it might work out for the better.

+1. I do some recordings using DI, condenser and low-frequency dynamic microphone simultaneously. Sounds fantastic you have to be careful about phasing and mic placement though.

Seriously. Give some of this shit a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/eddiehimself...wrist-theory-36

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 03-14-2013 at 06:19 PM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

"One, two, three, you know... One, you know... You know..."

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
"One, two, three, you know... One, you know... You know..."

Countdown to Epicness!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Spanner93

Ibanez GSR200 (new), possibly a SR300 or 500 used.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Jeff Berlin notwithstanding, I'm not a fan of Dean basses. They seem to have ignored their bass line for a while now. They've made a lot of cheap, unimaginative basses in the last few years like the Hillsboro series. B.C. Rich makes some fine basses, but only in the U.S.A. series, which are quite expensive. The only lower-priced B.C. Rich I like is the Mockingbird, but they seem to have discontinued the 5-string model and the last two I saw were bolt-necks with rosewood fretboards, rather than ebony. That was a big disappointment. For your budget, look at the Squier and some of the lower-priced Fenders. You can probably snag a good Ibanez used, and that would serve you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
Ibanez GSR200 (new), possibly a SR300 or 500 used.

Bah! I always forget these basses. The SR series is great. I bought an SR-406 as my 2nd bass 7 years ago and still have it and play it to this day. I sometimes prefer it over my $1300 Hohner.
King Of Suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #14
Spanner93

Quote:
Bah! I always forget these basses. The SR series is great. I bought an SR-406 as my 2nd bass 7 years ago and still have it and play it to this day. I sometimes prefer it over my $1300 Hohner.

Yeah, they are great value for money. I still play my $200 GSR190 about as much as my $1100 Hagstrom. Very unassuming but sturdy basses.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: