Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Tips on tapping-style techniques for composition.

Now I asked this question in Musician Talk because I figured it was more about the philosophy of the thing than the nuts and bolts of technique, but someone kindly pointed me in the direction of this forum, so here goes:

Long story short, I've always messed around with tapping. I've come to a point in my time as a composer that I want to start integrating the kind of techniques used by math rock bands into my own music. My question is how.

Long story long:

Now I'm able to tap, use both hands in a variety of ways, and cross strings. I just have trouble using all that in that awesomely musical way you hear a whole bunch of mathish bands do (big scary monsters label stuff I guess). And while learning by listening is all well and good I've always preferred to have a tab to follow along with. Just how I learn. This genre just isn't tabbed that much, for obvious reasons, so it gets a little difficult figuring out what they're up to.

Someone in the other thread pointed out that the guitarist of TTNG has a "peculiar left hand technique" interspersed with his tapping licks? When I listen it sounds to me like something a fingerstyle guitarist would do. It's stuff like that I'd like to learn more about.

Basically any pointer is welcome on how to, not just tighten up my skill, but hone it in a tool for my compositional (and player's) tool box. Know what I mean?

A quick disclaimer before you reply: I'm not asking this because I feel I have to use advanced tapping techniques because "everyone else does", and I'm not being pressured in any way.

Sorry about that, but I'm genuinely interested, that's all, and just wanted to try and preempt any of the inevitable "lulz your a fan of guitar wank" drivel. The whole point of this thread is to gather tips and tricks on how to steer the technique away from flashy wank and back towards musicality.

Any recommendations are welcome, just don't be a dick about it.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I'm not the best person to be answering this as I haven't ventured in to more experimental "not wanky" realms of tapping but I'll give it a go anyways..

I assume though you're looking in to more melodic stuff like this perhaps?

show

I'd say though for more advanced tapping methods and composing with it in particular, that expanding your music theory knowledge will be very valuable.
I'd also suggest in general just watching this entire video, but in particular 16:40. I watched it recently and it was quite educational.

show

I hope some of this could be help, but if not best of luck
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 07-03-2014 at 07:03 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Thanks for the video links! I'll be sure to watch and digest them when I've got the bandwidth for it lol

Also I totally agree on the theory side of things. That's something I'm always working on.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Facecut
Vorsitzender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of_Wolves
And while learning by listening is all well and good I've always preferred to have a tab to follow along with. Just how I learn.

I don't believe so much in learning by listening as in learning by playing. I don't think you will start using that style in your music if you just listen to it because it is very much based on licks, sequences and patterns. If you learn to play a lot of these you will be able to integrate them into your vocabulary. Figuring them out can be very hard though as there is a emergent property to many of these licks.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facecut
I don't believe so much in learning by listening as in learning by playing. I don't think you will start using that style in your music if you just listen to it because it is very much based on licks, sequences and patterns. If you learn to play a lot of these you will be able to integrate them into your vocabulary. Figuring them out can be very hard though as there is a emergent property to many of these licks.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I mean, my brain just doesn't work in a way that would allow me to hear something, remember the pitches and translate that to my playing, even if you slow it down a lot. I'm not even sure I can train my way out of that as it's tied heavily into being a visual/doer learner.

I try my best with what I've been given in life though.

Just trying different things has given me plenty to work on, but that video of La Jolla vayne92 posted is kind of more in the realms of the stuff I'm interested in (though I'm seriously in awe of the guy in the vid. That's some awesome hand separation there).

Really, it's less about a Govan-style of quick "sevens arpeggio", if you see what I mean, and more about finding good melodic licks that utilize more of the fret board than is ordinary.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
that video of La Jolla vayne92 posted is kind of more in the realms of the stuff I'm interested in (though I'm seriously in awe of the guy in the vid. That's some awesome hand separation there).

Most of his video's are melodic tapping compositions of that sort. Definitely worth checking out his stuff. Might give you some ideas
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
Most of his video's are melodic tapping compositions of that sort. Definitely worth checking out his stuff. Might give you some ideas

Yeah, I'm totally going to do that Cheers for the rec!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Anon17

Quote:
That's some awesome hand separation there.

This isn't difficult, this just takes practice. Learn both parts separately then slow right down and put them together.

I play in this style a lot and what helped me was transcribing stuff by ear in the style of tapping that I liked to play. For example, check out partyzant on youtube. He arranges many popular songs into two voiced tapping pieces for the guitar.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Oh sure, but then again everything "just takes practice" at the end of the day. I'm sure I could nail it eventually. I just need to figure out a way of learning this stuff that actually works for me.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Anon17

Try learning the two parts of that video separately, and then slowly put them together.

It'll take quite a lot of practice but that will be the most efficient way to start playing in that style.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
Try learning the two parts of that video separately, and then slowly put them together.

It'll take quite a lot of practice but that will be the most efficient way to start playing in that style.

Sounds as good a way as any. The melody will be the hard part, figuring out what frets he's hitting... I like a good challenge!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Anon17

Yeah, learning to transcribe stuff by ear is really hard (I'm still pretty bad and slow at it) but it's such a vital skill to learn. It will also make composing your own music about a billion times easier too.

Rate This Thread: