Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
marvingprice

Can I coil split a regular DiMarzio Super Distortion?

I know the Dual Sound is just an SD that is made for splitting, but the SD already has 4 conductor wiring, and is WAY easier to find, especially since I need F-Spaced. Is there something wrong with splitting/paralleling a regular Super Disortion?

For anyone curious, I'm building a thick-bodied Mockingbird, which will have 2 Humbuckers, a 3 way toggle switch, and 2 volume pots (push-pull, don't know if i'm going to parallel or split them yet) and 2 tone knobs.
marvingprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
gosam

I have an SD in my strat and it is setup for splitting. The split tone is rather meh honestly, but I'm not really into SC tones either.
gosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nah if the SD has 4 conductors then it should split fine. just the original ones only had 2-conductor wire, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
desperatechris
Banned

nah man.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

You should record it for us after you split it. I'm curious to see how that'd sound.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The SD and Dual Sound are literally the same pickup. The original SD didn't have coil splitting, but Frank Gambale wanted one with coil splitting, so they made the Dual Sound. Eventually, they made the SD a 4-conductor pickup, but for some reason they still sell the Dual Sound.

And FWI, a coil split humbucker is very weak and does not cancel hum. You're better off wiring it for series/parallel for those reasons.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Parallel is definitely better with the Super Distortion. A split Super Distortion just sounds like a cheap MIC Strat pickup, since for all itnents and purposes, it is; it'll come out to about 7k with a ceramic bar magnet, just like the dogturd pickups you get in 80 Strat copies. At least when you wire it parallel you can keep it hum-cancelling, as little of an improvement as that is. Frankly, the Super Distortion is, to me, one of the worst pickups for alternative wiring schemes. It was designed before such things were used, its tone really is not suitable for anyting other than standard series wiring.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Frankly, the Super Distortion is, to me, one of the worst pickups for alternative wiring schemes. It was designed before such things were used, its tone really is not suitable for anyting other than standard series wiring.

+1

I have found that a direct-out switch(bypass all pots) is about the only good thing I can do with it. I'd say the SD is to Dimarzio as the 81 is to EMG.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: