Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
harry_jacko

'59s or Texas BBQ?

Looking at upgrading the pickups in my Gibson SG Special. At this stage I have narrowed it down to either
-A pair of Seymour Duncan '59s
OR
-Rio Grande Texas/BBQ

Playing through a Marshall, and mostly classic/hard rock.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with either of these pickups, or suggest any other options for similar tones?

Thanks.
harry_jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Viban
UG's resident bum

Which Marshall, Which bands specifically.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
harry_jacko

Playin through a Marshall Haze 15 full stack. Im not a big outright distortion fan but love overdriving the tubes till they growl. I use a Digitech Bad Monkey to push the clean channel for the tone I aim for.

Playin stuff like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Led Zepplin, KISS, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Guns'n'Roses.

I have a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan APH-2s in it already, so im after somethin with a bit of grit to it, that responds well when goin Gibson to Marshall with no additions.

Last edited by harry_jacko : 05-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

See if you can find a guitar demo for a les paul with a set of Duncan JB/59'. It's a pretty standard configuration for rock. I have that set on one of my EC1000s and it's awesome for heavy blues and rock.

I just don't like the idea of getting two of the same pickups for each position. Have some more variation, but that's up to you.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
harry_jacko

I originally liked the idea of 59 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck, although just of the sound demos on the Seymour Duncan site, the PG just sounded flat and muddy compared to the 59 in the neck and bridge as well. Kinda sounded a fair bit like the 490s in the SG already.

From what i can figure, the JB is a bit harsh in SGs? although I havent played 59s, JBs, or PGs in person. Im kinda limited to what guitars I can play, I dont live near any major cities.

Im just reading up and listening to demos and such to make an educated guess...
Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
BoogieShinbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_jacko
Playin through a Marshall Haze 15 full stack. Im not a big outright distortion fan but love overdriving the tubes till they growl. I use a Digitech Bad Monkey to push the clean channel for the tone I aim for.

Playin stuff like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Led Zepplin, KISS, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Guns'n'Roses.

I have a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan APH-2s in it already, so im after somethin with a bit of grit to it, that responds well when goin Gibson to Marshall with no additions.

totally go for a pair of pearly gates.
The bridge has a certain frequency that can really scream and cut through. Its got a really cool vintage feel, but it has attitude. Its not a particularly hot pickup, but because of the way it is voiced it really feels like it is hitting the preamp in just the right places.
The neck is my all time favourite SD pickup. Its deep and jazzy.

59's have a5 magnets in them as opposed to teh a2 in PG's. 59's stock do have a lot of low end, but can often feel a bit scooped and hollow. Ive tried them by intalling a2 magnets in them which makes them sound great - al lot more towards the fatter tones of the aIIp.

Pg's however, have a lot of character and a bigger tonal change between the neck and bridge. They are very very cool pickups and i think will do the job for all those different tones admirably - especially as you already have a lester with aph's already. Still vintage sounding, but they cover all the bases either end of where aph's leave off.

edit: sorry for some reason i thought you were going to install these into a lester.

For an SG: 59 neck and custom bridge for a fire breathing monster.
If you want to change some subtleties, you can change magnets. The great thing about 59s and customs is that they sound great with pretty much any magnet you want to put in there, so you can cheaply customize to your heart's content.

Last edited by BoogieShinbones : 05-13-2013 at 02:39 AM.
BoogieShinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
harry_jacko

Thanks man, thats what I was lookin for! I had totally overlooked the Custom, looks like an awesome combo with the '59 well along the lines i'm after.

Rate This Thread: