Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
pushbuttonfour

How to sing better live

My voice sounds fine at home and in my room, etc, but when I sing and play guitar live, it sounds more muffled, less harmonious. I'm not sure why; even when I'm not playing guitar, I still sound worse live. I know this is probably a common problem, but what are some tips to improve live singing?
pushbuttonfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
HotspurJr

What else is changing besides your location?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
pushbuttonfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
What else is changing besides your location?

that's what I'm trying to figure out lol. Perhaps it's a mental thing, a form of stage fright (although I'mnot usually nervous). I think it might just be that I have to focus on more stuff (guitar, showmanship, etc) and there is more loud sound to distract me. But I guess what I'm asking is how to overcome all that
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
Eissac123
I Am Meee.... not an IT..

Thats a problem i have too
Eissac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
Jimmy Blue

If you're singing through a mic live and not in your room that could be a big difference.

If that's the case, test with a microphone how your voice sounds from different angles. The closer you get to the mic the warmer the sound will be, but obviously you don't want to sound muffled. You need to figure out the best position to sing into a normal dynamic microphone for your voice.

(hope this helped.)
Jimmy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
StuartBahn

Avoid using reverb on the gig; have your voice dry so you can really focus on accuracy. Maybe record your gig too an listen back to see if it really is as bad as you think. It might not be, but if it is, see if you can identify why and what you can do about it.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Blue
If you're singing through a mic live and not in your room that could be a big difference.

This is one of the reasons why I asked what else changed.

Singing with a mic and monitors is a very, very different thing. If that's the case - singing by yourself at home, singing with a mic elsewhere - then the problem is probably that you're not as good as you think you are at home.

Is that what's going on? Tell us more about the live situations where you're singing?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

I came in to post about moving the mic around, mic placement is pretty important, you don't to be eating it, but you don't want to be too far away either.

Try to really project your vocie to the back of the room, even though you're miced.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
pushbuttonfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
This is one of the reasons why I asked what else changed.

Singing with a mic and monitors is a very, very different thing. If that's the case - singing by yourself at home, singing with a mic elsewhere - then the problem is probably that you're not as good as you think you are at home.

Is that what's going on? Tell us more about the live situations where you're singing?

Oh, I didn't understand that was what you were asking. Yeah I think a monitor would really help. But I've recorded myself at home and I like the way it sounds, so it's not like I'm really terrible and just don't know it :P
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
food1010
Bassist

One thing to consider is stage noise. Usually when you're playing live, you'll have a lot of excess noise, considering you have amps and monitors, plus the PA mains. This will cause you to strain, potentially messing with your intonation and tone.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
sea`

To be totally honest, there's a good chance it's either:

a) the mic
b) you aren't as good and consistent as you really think you are

It's probably a combination of both.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
sohel5452

Many people in the world like songs.But all people can't sing perfectly.If you want to sing you should know sing better fast .Its a way of develop your skill of singing.Wish you can do it.Good Luck.
sohel5452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #13
moneyspills
Banned

You should also practice your flexibility when learning how to sing effectively. Solfege (do re mi) should be done slowly and then quickly and then slowly again, so that your voice becomes flexible as you learn that control with every note. You can also control your volume as you begin softly and then crescendo to a higher volume and then back down again. The key to effective singing is controlling every note and every sound you make, not just in pushing the sound from your throat. If you try these simple exercises and remember these tips, your singing will be the best it can be.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

moneyspills is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: