Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #4101
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine
 
oneblackened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Asgaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Well I'm saying something sounds bad and you're either saying it doesn't or it's a matter of taste, so I could really ask you the same thing.Well fact that he doesn't use it for records should tell you something, and the pre's there don't get bypassed but have less effect on the sound if you use the line in's.

Anyway, have fun with your scarlett's and suit yourselves
imo apogee's sound better than UA's, so I'd go for the latter option.

I though don't like waves plugin for the most part and I would rather use that money to get something else - say softube plugins if it's for mixing only, they should still be on sale for half the price now.

Also it's not worth getting a UA interface if you're not gonna use the UA plugins, and some of them are quite heavy (say the thermionic culture vulture or the big pultec EQ) so if you go for the apollo I'd say you should get the twin duo.

Yeah, the Duo is the one I'd get of the two. I could get an Apogee Quartet too, but that's quite a bit more.
__________________
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Ibanez S970
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #4102
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Well I'm saying something sounds bad and you're either saying it doesn't or it's a matter of taste, so I could really ask you the same thing.

Except you couldn't ask me the same thing. You've swallowed the pill of "This interface is better, because specs, and this and that. Blah blah blah". No. All that matters is the end product, and Scarletts gets a good quality sound for a decent price. This results in a good end product. Therefore, what's the issue?
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 11-24-2014 at 06:00 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #4103
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Except sounding good is subjective, and therefor an opinion rather than fact. That's the problem we all have with you every time this discussion comes up. It's not that you don't like them, it's that you refuse to acknowledge that plenty of others do and just swear that anyone who thinks they're good doesn't know what they're talking about.




I've noticed this a few times over in the GG&A sub-forum; but I am truly ignorant to recording (unlike guitar gear! ), so I really wasn't sure if he was doing the same thing, or I truly didn't have a clue

I knew my gut was right
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #4104
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Well fact that he doesn't use it for records should tell you something, and the pre's there don't get bypassed but have less effect on the sound if you use the line in's.


He does however like it enough to promote it when teaching others how best to record guitars when he makes youtube videos


Also of course he's gonna use a Scarlett 2i2 over his super expensive gear, that wouldn't be ******ed at all.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 11-24-2014 at 08:19 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #4105
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #4106
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
 
DisarmGoliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK
Your argument about KRK Rokit's is also flawed Luca, sorry but go and fish out some tech specs and you'll see they're actually really accurate (from 49Hz to 20kHz there's like a maximum of +1.5dB variance, and that's in the RP5's which are the worst-performing of them all) and in the price range perform better than the vast majority of products.

You can easily 'not like something', and that's fine - I don't like the Yamaha HS series very much, yet a lot of people love them, but I wouldn't say they're objectively bad or that people are wrong for liking them.
__________________
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #4107
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Hell of a lot of people think behringer stuff sounds good.
Hell of a lot of people think KRK rokit's sound good.

Does that make any of it sound good?

Actually yeah, it does. I've used Behringer gear I hate (BXL series amps), stuff that was okay but had some issues (C1-u sounds fine but it's a bit noisy), and some stuff that sounded great for the price point (C2 SDCs, B2-Pro LDC) or even stuff that was objectively awesome (BDI21, a sansamp clone that I found better sounding in a blind test even though it's ~1/5 the price).
I don't see any huge problem with Rokits either. So they're a little bass heavy, so are like 90% of modern sound systems so it could very well be worth mixing on bass-heavy monitors as they're better representative of what most people will be playing back on, without being quite as extreme. Also the Behringer Truth monitors are quite popular as great value for money too.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #4108
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Therefore, what's the issue?
I really don't think it sounds good for the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
I've noticed this a few times over in the GG&A sub-forum; but I am truly ignorant to recording (unlike guitar gear! ), so I really wasn't sure if he was doing the same thing, or I truly didn't have a clue
Much like with guitars, there's stuff who objectively sounds less than average.

Say a marshall MG30FX.

Same thing here, if something sounds good it may be accurate or color the sound a lot and that will be a matter of taste, but there can be plain bad sounding stuff as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
He does however like it enough to promote it when teaching others how best to record guitars when he makes youtube videos
May it be the case that he's sponsored or anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Also of course he's gonna use a Scarlett 2i2 over his super expensive gear, that wouldn't be ******ed at all.
He doesn't have anything else that can pass the sound of an axe fx to the computer.

Also he's a guitarist in his home studio, how would he know how to make stuff sound good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Your argument about KRK Rokit's is also flawed Luca, sorry but go and fish out some tech specs and you'll see they're actually really accurate (from 49Hz to 20kHz there's like a maximum of +1.5dB variance, and that's in the RP5's which are the worst-performing of them all) and in the price range perform better than the vast majority of products.
You should listen to a pair of them.

For my life I don't believe such specs after I've heard a pair myself.

It has a hell of a dip in the mids, the crossover makes the mid-high range a mess, and the slew rate's below the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Actually yeah, it does. I've used Behringer gear [...]
Same thing as before then, suit yourself and have fun with your good sounding scarlett.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I don't see any huge problem with Rokits either.
Yeah I mean they're nice looking.

As soon as you start listening to them though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
So they're a little bass heavy, so are like 90% of modern sound systems so it could very well be worth mixing on bass-heavy monitors as they're better representative of what most people will be playing back on, without being quite as extreme.
Most people listen to music on cheap headphones and cheap speakers, which have much mids and much highs and little and tight bass in general.

Then again, you may well use them as reference speakers or for casual listening to music 'cause they sound flattering, though if you want anything half clear you don't want a pair of rokit's.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #4109
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
The trouble is, all of what you've said is an opinion. It's not a fact.

If you were to post your opinions as opinions, nobody would have a problem with it.

You need to accept that other people will have an opposing opinion. You don't have to agree with them, but their opinion is just as right as yours is.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #4110
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
I really don't think it sounds good for the price.

And others do. They also have tangible (read: audible) proof that it does.


Your argument reads like someone who is an anti-AMD guy or anti-PC or whatever. You throw out a few facts (which don't actually affect a ton overall, in regards to the finished product), and then act like it's objectively better. The reality is that you're just stating your opinion and need to quit acting like it's fact. For fuck's sake, you indirectly told Matrix (who does professional recording for a living and owns a professional studio) that he was wrong.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #4111
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Also he's a guitarist in his home studio, how would he know how to make stuff sound good?


Misha co-runs Top Secret Audio and has produced albums for Stray From the Path, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, his solo Bulb stuff, Vail of Maya, Volumes and more. He knows a **** tonne about production and has been doing it since he was 17 (without sponsorships.) Please stop grasping at straws.

Also you're acting like monitors have perfectly flat response curves... they don't, there's a reason there are lots of different monitors out there, if they were all just flat there wouldn't be a need for anything more than one pair to exist ever.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : Yesterday at 01:37 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #4112
xFilth
Phrygianist
 
xFilth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
__________________
xFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #4113
chaosmoon
Registered User
 
chaosmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
For fuck's sake, you indirectly told Matrix (who does professional recording for a living and owns a professional studio) that he was wrong.


Honestly, the fact that he does it for a living doesn't really mean much to me. I know a lot of people who do things for a living, but suck at it. (Kind of a tangent, but same thing when people say 'I have a degree in this, so I'm right.)

That being said, I trust what Derek says. Not because he does it for a living, but because he's proven to me that he knows what he's talking about.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM   #4114
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine
 
oneblackened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Asgaard
I dare anyone to tell the difference between different converter chips. They're not that different.
__________________
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Ibanez S970
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.