Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #701
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
You laugh, but it's true.

What? You've been watching me??? Are you CIA or something?
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #702
ron666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
@ron666: It's already happening now. We have things like Guitar Rig Pro 5 and Fractal Audio's Axe FX. So now we can do everything through software/racks if we choose. As a Mathematician/Electrical Engineer in training, I would definitely like to contribute to this field if possible. That said, it would be interesting if some new technology just came around the corner that was totally different.


Well I did not know that. The most technology that I am aware of for musical purposes is Garageband, which is pretty limited and does not work very well with recorded guitar sounds. I know because I tried and it does not work. But it is nice to know that there is technology out there right now that works better.

Thanx for the info.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #703
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron666
Well I did not know that. The most technology that I am aware of for musical purposes is Garageband, which is pretty limited and does not work very well with recorded guitar sounds. I know because I tried and it does not work. But it is nice to know that there is technology out there right now that works better.

Thanx for the info.

ron666

If you're interested in learning more, head over to the recordings forum. I got fairly decent start-up stuff for about $200, based upon the recommendations in the stickies there. The best part is, a lot of VSTs (basically plug-ins that go into your DAW*) are free. So, if you don't have oodles of money like my poor university student self, then you can make decent recordings without paying an arm and a leg.

*Digital Audio Workspace, like Garageband is a DAW; albeit a VERY TERRIBLE one.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #704
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolour
anyways this thread ran its course 34 pages ago.

/reported




SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS CHOCOBO!?
SADDLE UP IF YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS RODEO
EVERYBODY'S GONNA WANT TO RIDE YOUR CHOCOBO
GONNA RIDE HIM STRAIGHT THROUGH HELL IN THIS ****IN CHOCOBO RODEO
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #705
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
My english has been improved, so I understood that many of you may have misunderstood me because of my not so good knowledge of the language. By reading this thread again I realised that the problem was that I couldn't express my thoughts and feelings clearly. It's my fault that I didn't have good knowledge of the language. So I ask anyone who may have been offended by my posts to forgive me.
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #706
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I still like Ascariasis. That is all I have to add.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #707
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
 
The Wildchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indonesia
that sounds like worms emerging from a broken asshole
__________________


Listening to Casus Luciferi
The phone rings
I pick up
A voice says "You will die from AIDS in seven days"
"Who is this?" I cry, panic taking hold and wavering my voice.

"Filthy Casual" the voice croaks back in return.
The Wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #708
farcry
Registered User
 
farcry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.

Last edited by farcry : 07-27-2014 at 03:05 PM.
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #709
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Because Rust In Peace isn't 80% masturbation
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #710
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Guitar89
My english has been improved, so I understood that many of you may have misunderstood me because of my not so good knowledge of the language. By reading this thread again I realised that the problem was that I couldn't express my thoughts and feelings clearly. It's my fault that I didn't have good knowledge of the language. So I ask anyone who may have been offended by my posts to forgive me.

Holy shit LOL I've had this thread stickied for like a year. Good to know my live animal sacrifices to resurrect you have finally succeeded.
__________________
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #711
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.


Haha, pleb.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #712
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cal-eye-forn-ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.

You're a fucking moron.

Also, Chopin? Really, dude?...REALLY?!
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #713
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.

I believe that the most of classic Metal guitarists (Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blacmore, Michael Weikath, Ross The Boss etc....) have trained ears and feeling. In my opinion, they sound too good! Some of the modern Metal is more about whimps and posers that want to show that they have skills, but the only thing that they create is a muddy fast nonsense sound that is combined with weak and incomprehensible voices.....Malmsteem is a great guitarist but he uses only one playing aproach all these years!

Last edited by Lead_Guitar89 : 07-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #714
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chopin was very un-metal and was in fact a limp wristed sickly French frog.

I like some of his Fantasias. But he is a very bad comparison in this instance.
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #715
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I liked some of his preludes, specifically 16 because it sounded like a tornado ripping through a forest.



The last few measures are pretty diabolical sounding as well.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #716
The Virtuoso
L'…tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: BodÝ, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.


You say Vai is dynamically weak and you cite Broderick and Friedman as examples of dynamically strong players. You also claim that Malmsteen "misses almost half the notes..." You're a fucking moron.

Your musical opinions have shown themselves to be lacking in salt. They will henceforth be disregarded as garbage till such a time that you prove them to have more salt.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.

Last edited by The Virtuoso : 07-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #717
Ironic Maiden
Prurient
 
Ironic Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
Chopin was very un-metal and was in fact a limp wristed sickly French frog.

I like some of his Fantasias. But he is a very bad comparison in this instance.

heyyy fffffffuk u I like Chopin
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #718
romencer17
UG God
 
romencer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Transcending A Mere Multiverse
yeah I'm confused, proggy likes some Chopin? yeah he's a pretty lousy pianist
__________________
Dark star crashes, pouring it's light into ashes.
Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis.
Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion.

Sumdeus
romencer17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #719
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
False Metal is unmetal! Death to the false ones!
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #720
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I like lots of Chopin - mostly his Nocturnes. I said I like some of his Fantasias. I like most of the preludes. The Pollanaises are ok. Etc al.

I said he wasn't very metal as compared to say Brahms or Wagner. And as such he was a bad comparison to shred guitar players.
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.