Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
RNR guitars

guitar setup ?

Hi , so it's years since i did a set up , i normally have a chap do my other stuff , so ive got a nice intonation but my top frets 15-20 are duff and choking out , a trussrod adjustment .the action is quite high , i drop it and get fret buzz , what can you suggest doing please ?
RNR guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR guitars
Hi , so it's years since i did a set up , i normally have a chap do my other stuff , so ive got a nice intonation but my top frets 15-20 are duff and choking out , a trussrod adjustment .the action is quite high , i drop it and get fret buzz , what can you suggest doing please ?

i spent the day doing a set up on my guitar i had buzz round the fret 20 mostly high E and b string . truss rod adjustment on neck and new strings i can get the action a bit more lower so i guess i am happy,
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
D_M_I
Omniscient

Maybe the truss needs another turn?

Did you measure the relief? I would verify that first.
D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Manton Customs

Yes, check your relief. Easiest way of doing this is simply fretting your low E string at the first and last fret (use a capo, to save stretching!), then measuring at the seventh fret with feeler gauges. You are looking for almost no gap, something like 0.5 mm. Fret buzz at higher frets can be an indication that the truss rod needs tightening.

It may sound silly, but it can also be worth checking your pickups arent set too high and making contact with the strings when one of the higher frets are fretted.

Let us know how you get on.
Manton Customs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: