Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
JakeIsInsane
Oh look. Cows.

Question Finding singing lessons online?

Hello.
I am virtually talentless with the exception of playing guitar, and my family is tight on money and cant really afford to pay for lessons when it comes to singing. The way I learned guitar, however, i grabbed my dad's guitar and typed in "how to play guitar" into google (hahahhaha) but it was probably the best idea i have ever had. I found a website that had written text and a few videos that taught me how to read tabs, hold the pick, etc. all of the basics. I have taken no lessons.

But what i want to know is, can i do the same with singing? i want the ability to sing and play guitar, because i have almost no other talents ( i suck at sports, my grades arent the best, i have ADD and i'm always made fun of by assholes my age because apparently, i'm just kind of a sappy, non-athletic 'emo kid' [as they call me, which i am absolutly NOT]) besides guitar.

So can i find lessons on singing the same way i found lessons on playing guitar, with written text and maybe a few videos?

I'm looking forward to a great answer. Its what i always expect from the good people here.

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
JakeIsInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Flibo
I like dissonance.

I wouldn't want to be an asshole but... following your own example, how about typing "how to sing" in the Google search bar?
Flibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Roybordom

the youtube channel rocktheNYC is pretty damn good. you have to do some yourself, but this guy gets the job done on teaching the stuff that isn't self explanitory
Roybordom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
J.Simpson
testicles

Yes, I'm sure 'self-teaching' yourself to sing and exploring different techniques will help you learn to sing. But really and truly, it depends how your starting vocal technique is to be honest. I'm not really an amazing vocalist, I'd consider myself good, but I only do back up vocals, so I might be talking complete and utter rubbish, but I don't think singing is like learning to play guitar much, I believe that you can't make many major alternations to your voice, although, you can change key and tone, but if your voice is initially not very good, I'd highly recommend lessons.
J.Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
JakeIsInsane
Oh look. Cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibo
I wouldn't want to be an asshole but... following your own example, how about typing "how to sing" in the Google search bar?

Well, yeah, obviously, i was just wondering if it would be effective

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
JakeIsInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
emericavox

ive never taken singing lessons online but if u search thru craigslist, theres usually a bunch of ads for online singing lessons "that really work", you could try there and see if it is in your price range.
-BV
emericavox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
jdport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibo

In the original poster's defense... i have done exactly that, and it's hard to find anything useful online in terms of learning how to sing. You find a few vaguely written tips that usually are just a lead-in to a sales pitch for some singing system that will make you a star for only a few hundred dollars. Finding any real info that can teach you something about singing on the internet is not very easy. Lot of noise to sift through.
jdport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Cheeseman07
UG Senior Member

I quite like this site, go through the lessons on this page and give a quick look-over the rest of it

http://singing-high.com/singing-techniques/

it's not selling anything and looks a tad amateur, but the vids and info on that site are really helpful imo
Cheeseman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
ankthebank

The best is always to get a singing teacher, someone who can monitor your progress as you are singing in front of them.

But if you are tight on money, I would recommend looking for singing tips on youtube - there are some good videos on there if you look hard enough.

Good luck!
ankthebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
jc71corvette
Avril Lavigne is a HOTTIE

berklee has online courses for this
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
jc71corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
jHammer3791

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeIsInsane

So can i find lessons on singing the same way i found lessons on playing guitar, with written text and maybe a few videos?

I'm looking forward to a great answer. Its what i always expect from the good people here.

Hi, I think this can help you tinyurl . com / n3pq6nq

Last edited by jHammer3791 : 10-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.
jHammer3791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: