User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #4121
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Pres at this price point are all variations of similar designs and the converters are all using the same chips or clones of the same chips.
They're all cirrus converters, though they're not really the same converters.

Also even leaving the pre's out the circuit in which they are put has as much effect on the conversion as the converter chip itself, else they'd all use ESS sabre's and they'd all have the same AD/DA dynamic range plus a bunch of other equal specs, and most importantly they'd all have the same sound.

They don't though, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Even ruling out your ears, a spectral EQ analysis will reveal very little change in response. Obviously that doesn't account for every variation but is a more scientific approach.
Not even.
I mean these down there aren't spectral analysis, though they are a way of verifying the converters' transparency.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gea...ffmaker-26.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Besides, the main thing about a lot of expensive interfaces (apart from a select few) is that you're not paying for increased transparency, but for their unique sonic character. Ok, Apogee made a name for pristine converters and preamps, and stuff like the Prism Sound Orpheus, and Lynx Aurora are renowned for being pretty crystal clear, but those aside... most are marketed for aiming at a certain pedigree/prestige (e.g. having pre's that mimic old Neve/API circuit designs).
?

All of the high end converters I've seen pride themselves with their transparent sound.

Metric Halo, RME, high end MOTU, SPL...

The only interface I've seen that's designed to sound colored and vintage is the focusrite LS56, and while I haven't hear one myself the reviews aren't really that good.

Last edited by Spambot_2 : Yesterday at 08:57 AM.
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: