Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
crushingmetal

Progressive Metal: Pillars of the Monolith - The Formless Infinite. C4C!

Let me know what you think! C4C fo sure.

Last edited by crushingmetal : 02-14-2013 at 03:56 AM.
crushingmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
boratian
UG Member

Cool intro! The synth work around 1:15-1:30 sounds somewhat out of place, but the riffing after than totally makes up for it, very cool. Your drums fit in the mix very well, but I'd personally recommend some more snap on the snare, not much though. something like a slight boost around 1kHz and again around 3.5-5khz, whatever sounds best to you in those ranges. I'm also noticing a weird clipping, poppy sound when the snare is hit on occasion. It may be the reverb going haywire; it may also be my headphones going haywire xD

4:18 - cool little solo, lead work and transition to the riffs at 4:40. Very well done there. I would recommend letting the guitar shine more than the synth, unless of course that's the sound youre going for. Otherwise, the synth work sort of dominates too much. As far as mixing goes, your guitar tones are overlapping with the synth as well. I'd try playing around with the frequencies of each to see if you can get a better separation. There's just this "warmth" of overlap and they mud together a bit.

And don't take those criticisms the wrong way, this is a really well made song. Youve got some really cool riff ideas, just keep working at the mix and you can have an extremely good song!

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1586312
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Metal Turtle

Badass intro!! I really dig the tight playing! Its really sweet! The riffs eat everything in its way \m/, !! I like how you added synths, It really gave it a darker feeling, like fighting in a space battle of some kind. What can i say man this is one original piece of work. The break down at 2:04 was really awsome! All the solos were great man! Keep making music and i know you will go far if you havent already

Drums were greatly placed perfectl! Im wearing headphones right now so i cant hear bass much but im sure its there!
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
fdsaevad

sweet tune. kind of wishing the guitars were more in your face - they seem to be off in the distance a bit. the bass is there but it's spread wide and way back. drums are placed smack right in the middle and super present, making them sound inconsistent with everything else. get some bus compression and tighten up the main compression to bring things together?

loving the guitar work and the synth. kick ass tune, just have to work on getting the mix to work with it. nice job
fdsaevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
crushingmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaevad
sweet tune. kind of wishing the guitars were more in your face - they seem to be off in the distance a bit. the bass is there but it's spread wide and way back. drums are placed smack right in the middle and super present, making them sound inconsistent with everything else. get some bus compression and tighten up the main compression to bring things together?

loving the guitar work and the synth. kick ass tune, just have to work on getting the mix to work with it. nice job

Cheers for the feedback, yeah mixing is something I need to work on. Thanks for mentioning bus compression, I googled it and it sounds like exactly what I need. I haven't actually used much compression in this song at all, it's something i kinda overlooked.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Usernames sucks

Nice stuff dude, and thanks for the comment. This reminds me alot of dream theater maybe mixed with periphery in a good way! I love your sense of melody man! Production was good, but could be even tighter! Picture fits well music too. I dont really know what more to say!
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
NelsonSFS

very well made song, its very creative and i love the use of synth, i just think the rythmm guitar should be a little more present but other than that its a sweet tune!
NelsonSFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: