Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
You should test that one thoroughly first. Kranks really inspire a love / hate dichotomy among players, with most leaning towards hate.

I hated the original version, very thin if I remember correctly.

The plus has larger transformers and 6550 power tubes. I love my "plus" model. Makes up for what I do not like on channel 3 of my mark V. Very different amps for very different sounds.

Very much a love hate thing with the Kranks. Also as trashes said the revolution 1 is worth checking out as well.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
KrymsinViking

I'd say used 6505+ head and a new Avatar 4x12 with v30s in it. That's what I'm shooting for myself.

Used market in Philly has 6505+ heads for $600-$750 and Guitar Center used has them for $750 all day long. The avatar cabs are $600 so sounds like a good plan to me.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
why limit to peavey and evh?

at your price range you could easily pick up a splawn, nitros are a beast. i have one.

what about mesa dual rec?

engl? may be a stretch as far as budget goes.

vht/fryette

etc.

there are a ton of very good amps out there in your range used.

Even though there are a lot nicer and more expensive amps out there than a 6505, none of them can do 6505 tone better than a 6505, and that is absolutely what TS needs for what he wants to play.

I feel like we've had this interchange before.

TS, you really cannot go wrong with a 6505+/5150 II and a Mesa 4x12 for that stuff.

Also to whoever said JSX, as someone who loves TBDM and owns a JSX, it's not a good suggestion. The JSX is a great amp, but not really for this kind of stuff. I'm looking to trade mine for a 6505 at the moment actually.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

I got my 6505 head and cab setup for 950 bucks total used. 650 for the head, 300 for the cab. I would suggest checking out a Dual Rec (almost bought one myself). They are a little more versatile than a 6505 and have killer high gain tones. I think As I Lay Dying uses Krank amps, and I like their tone. Framus and Engl might be a bit out of your price range, but are still worth a look.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

I got my 6505 head for 450 used, and picked up a used 1960AV 4x12 for 200, absolute bargain.
Random3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Also to whoever said JSX, as someone who loves TBDM and owns a JSX, it's not a good suggestion. The JSX is a great amp, but not really for this kind of stuff. I'm looking to trade mine for a 6505 at the moment actually.

I have no issue getting tones for this sort of thing with my JSX. The dude i got mine from did an entire dtech death album with it.sounds just as brutal as the 6505, tube swaps, proper eq, and even adding a boost can make the JSX into a whole different beast.

Also, I wish you luck with that endeavour. Ive seen one on my local Kijiji for 5 months and the dude can't even give it away.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Don't get me wrong, I get a very modern sound out of it with my floor FX. It just kind of bugs me that it can't do out on its own as well. It has a little bit of a ValveKing syndrome.

More specifically, I just need something a little simpler right now. My GT10 is a fickle mistress.

And recording doesn't count. Completely different ballgame then live sound.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
mmjohn
Call me John

EVH 5150iii 50w and 212 cab
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
ikey_

well, i personally would go for a really great 2x12 just cause 4x12 are huge mothers.

like a closed back with kick butt speakers and i would not skimp!!! like a splawn 2x12, avatar contemporary series, perhaps even one of these closed back telexed

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Finished_cabs.html

and personally, i would get all 2x12s done vertical. it raises the top speaker up to the height of a 4x12, better projection. HOWEVER....you have this huge full size amp head which will not fit on top so.....maybe not.

my tweaker 40 fits exactly on top of my vertical 2x12....not like i measured specs before buying my rig....
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
I got my 6505 head and cab setup for 950 bucks total used. 650 for the head, 300 for the cab. I would suggest checking out a Dual Rec (almost bought one myself). They are a little more versatile than a 6505 and have killer high gain tones. I think As I Lay Dying uses Krank amps, and I like their tone. Framus and Engl might be a bit out of your price range, but are still worth a look.

yeah, i was thinking about a dual rec but it seemed a little too out of my price range. if i find a bargain on one i will def. consider it.

people say dual recs arent really as tight as a 6505. i need that tight, grainy, "growling" tone.

i know someone will say just get an od, but if i use up all my money i wont have anything left for a good od.
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well, i personally would go for a really great 2x12 just cause 4x12 are huge mothers.

like a closed back with kick butt speakers and i would not skimp!!! like a splawn 2x12, avatar contemporary series, perhaps even one of these closed back telexed

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Finished_cabs.html

and personally, i would get all 2x12s done vertical. it raises the top speaker up to the height of a 4x12, better projection. HOWEVER....you have this huge full size amp head which will not fit on top so.....maybe not.

my tweaker 40 fits exactly on top of my vertical 2x12....not like i measured specs before buying my rig....

I'm sure you could construct something out of plywood around the 2x12 so the full head would fit on it
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #32
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Even though there are a lot nicer and more expensive amps out there than a 6505, none of them can do 6505 tone better than a 6505, and that is absolutely what TS needs for what he wants to play.

I feel like we've had this interchange before.

TS, you really cannot go wrong with a 6505+/5150 II and a Mesa 4x12 for that stuff.

we probably have if i stuck to the exact gear my favorite bands use i would probably be playing JCM800's or various randalls. i like both amps and they are both used by a few of my favorite bands, but i wouldn't buy either.

i get your point, and will kindly exit the thread, with the following.

sometimes having something different is good as long as you don't push it too far to different being stupid and way overdoing it.

i owned a 6505+ for about a week. i agree that it is its own tone and you probably wont find something else that would match it,

but i prefer 'my' tone over something i hear at a show.

to the OP yes 5150/6505 are good solid amps. if i had my advice on a cab would be K100's/V30's in an X pattern. thats how i ran the 6505+ i had, and i like it best that way.

good luck.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #33
philipk

Consider getting an EVH 5150 III 50w rather than a 6505+
You probably don't need the extra wattage and the EVH should be able to do anything a 6505+ does and more
philipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
The Neighbor of the Beast

I have a Mesa Recto-Full size slant 4x12 available for $300. It's at my practice space in Cambridge - ready for a test ride. PM me if you are interested.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaform
Whys it have to be a halfstack?

I just had to reply to this. Why can it not be a half-stack?

Why does every one insist on pushing the idea that a combo is somehow superior to a half-stack just because it's for use at home. Why must a half-stack only be reserved for musicians looking to fill out a stadium?

Yes there are instances where a n00b will instinctively desire a half-stack just because his guitar heroes use one. However, there are practical reasons to purchase a half-stack over a combo any day:

1. Separate heads and cabs will always be lighter than an equivalent combo, assuming identical woods and speakers. After a few gigs, you'd be thankful for multiple lighter trips than a huge struggle with a heavier combo.

2. A cab allows for mixing of speaker configurations and ease of switching to lesser or more speakers.

3. If you get a decent cab, you can retain it for your next amp purchase.

I don't get why every time someone says they want a half-stack, someone must always ask "why a half-stack" and start pushing a combo just to insist that looking like your rock-star is a bad thing.

Yes, for lower wattage amps, a combo does make sense, or for people starting out. However, if others have the money to afford it, why can't they consider a half-stack? Stop ragging on them and trying to push a combo.

Musicians depend as much on their image as they do their songs and sound. Stop insisting that everyone else must consider a combo, especially if you already own a half-stack. If its not that important to own a half-stack, why did you not get a combo - most modern amps come in head an combo forms anyway.

Remember that when Dimebag started out, he couldn't play the guitar to save his behind, but he used to put on makeup, hold his guitar up and stand in front of a mirror pretending he was Ace Frehley.

/Rant

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: