Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
doofus41
Registered User
 
doofus41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Best way to find singer?

My band is currently looking for a singer and has been since December. What is the best way to find a singer for a metal band? We've put up posters in the Fine Arts building at our school and tried Craigslist and Facebook, but no luck. Are there any other means of finding musicians that we've missed?
doofus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
 
AlanHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
What do your ads say? It's strange to have put up so many ads and get zero response.

Otherwise you can network and ask your muso mates.

The way I got my last singer was through the internet. We had multiple replies. We requested demos from all singers before an in-person audition. Out of all the replies, only one sent through demos and she turned out to be great.
__________________
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
AlanHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
BigHeadClan
Mistro
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TBA
Check out open Mic nights at bars that have karaoke or that have live bands playing and put the word out there, it's where the majority of us will be at one time or another.

Another option is to see if one of your band members will do it, at the very least try and get most of the band to work on their vocals. Even if you don't intend to use any of them as your lead vocalist this will help them with their backing vocals.
BigHeadClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Apples on Cacti
Fingering minors
 
Apples on Cacti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Huh. I'm having the same problem here. Actually, I did have a singer at one point, but he ended up being a dud (never showed up, complained all the time, voice was meh), so I booted him. So I've been without a singer for about five months now. My band just started to get into instrumental music, because seriously, it's not easy to find highschoolers that can sing rock well. Or just sing well in general. :/

So maybe try instrumental music? I know it's probably not what you want, but it's working out for me. Just my two cents.
__________________
HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

...never mind, I got nothing.


Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Apples on Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
csensesfail92
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
become an instrumental metal band
csensesfail92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
BigHeadClan
Mistro
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TBA
Apples Step 4 is obviously "Sell you're soul at the cross roads" Go fix your sig!
BigHeadClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Apples on Cacti
Fingering minors
 
Apples on Cacti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan
Apples Step 4 is obviously "Sell you're soul at the cross roads" Go fix your sig!


Can't do that. If I did, we'd have too many successful blues guitarists running around because of that leaked secret.
__________________
HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

...never mind, I got nothing.


Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Apples on Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
 
AlanHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan
Check out open Mic nights at bars that have karaoke or that have live bands playing and put the word out there, it's where the majority of us will be at one time or another.

Another option is to see if one of your band members will do it, at the very least try and get most of the band to work on their vocals. Even if you don't intend to use any of them as your lead vocalist this will help them with their backing vocals.


Yep that's solid advice too. Even approaching buskers on the street can work on occasion - some of them are really good!

Also in some instances emailing local singing teachers has worked. I've been contacted via my old guitar school a couple of times.
__________________
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
AlanHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
BigHeadClan
Mistro
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: TBA
Well it was worth a shot I guess, Can't have every wana be Blues guitarist turning out like Robert Johnson :P
BigHeadClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
TrailOfMe
Journey into Music
 
TrailOfMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
So there aren't any online services to help you connect with singers? I have a solo project which I would like to have a singer but I'm having a hard time to figure out where to start looking? My project is not going to be a live one so the location of the singer is irrelevant.
TrailOfMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
You Ruined It
I play the gee-tar.
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples on Cacti
Huh. I'm having the same problem here. Actually, I did have a singer at one point, but he ended up being a dud (never showed up, complained all the time, voice was meh), so I booted him. So I've been without a singer for about five months now. My band just started to get into instrumental music, because seriously, it's not easy to find highschoolers that can sing rock well. Or just sing well in general. :/

So maybe try instrumental music? I know it's probably not what you want, but it's working out for me. Just my two cents.


very hard to find highschoolers who can sing rock. After a month or so of finding a replacement, my bandmate's brother (a year younger than him) told him about his friend who was a great singer. And she was really excited about the band and such and has been great.

Moral: ask your bandmates to ask their siblings about friends who can sing well.
You Ruined It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Jearl
yr bird.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NJ
yeah, I'd suggest you or one of the band members trying to sing. it's tough if you've never done it before, but it's probably a good thing for a musician to know, at least a little.

a friend of mine used to put ads out on craigslist. I believe he got into a band that way. they ended up not working out, but he's now signed in a new band. which is cool for him, I guess. but yeah, that might be something to look into.
__________________
Camellia sinensis

last.fm
Jearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
danny_ayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
i'm a singer looking for a band, and am having the same problem. have no idea, apart from craigslist, how to find partners / a band, etc.

that said, if any of you want to send some samples my way.. you never know, could be me you're looking for.
danny_ayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.