Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Keep the cab., or sell it and grab an attenuator. You can still find Mark IV headshells to convert them into heads. If you got the small combo, then it's rackmountable.

My advice on a mark IV, is to take the time dialing it in. It's very versatile, but that comes at the cost of sensitive controls. From what I know from your threads, you're the type (like me) Thats going to need to have the Graphic EQ on all the time. It's not going to have the chugga chugga that the JSX has, but it's very tight, and very loud!

If there's not enough gain on the Lead Channel, pull the fat and bright switches. The Mark IV has a ton of mids, so I usually keep that knob at 4 or 5, and the bass at 1 or 2.

The middle slider control the overall volume, so boosting it makes it honk pretty harsh. The bass sliders will add the bass to where you want it, the bass knob controls the looseness of the amp.

Personally, I run in tweed power, simulclass, pentode, and harmonic mode and I get singing clear chords. I used to favor mid gain mode, but harmonic mode is fuller, to me.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Deadpool_25

Very useful info, thanks. I did get the small combo, but since it's just for home it's plenty loud.

How do you feel about R2? I seem to see many people don't like it much. I'm not too concerned because assuming the R1 takes pedals as well as I hope, I could have the Plexitone set for most of my crunchy tones. I'm REALLY hoping the Plexitone sounds as good through the Mark IV as it did through the JSX.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #23
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I love R2, but it's a big difference from the lead channel, and that's why some people dislike it, I think. Takes pedals well too. I'm running an EP booster and Box of Rock in front.
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
Deadpool_25

Cool. I'm looking forward to digging into it. Had to come to work right after getting it but heading home now to check it out.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #25
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
My advice on a mark IV, is to take the time dialing it in. It's very versatile, but that comes at the cost of sensitive controls. From what I know from your threads, you're the type (like me) Thats going to need to have the Graphic EQ on all the time. It's not going to have the chugga chugga that the JSX has, but it's very tight, and very loud!

If there's not enough gain on the Lead Channel, pull the fat and bright switches. The Mark IV has a ton of mids, so I usually keep that knob at 4 or 5, and the bass at 1 or 2.

The middle slider control the overall volume, so boosting it makes it honk pretty harsh. The bass sliders will add the bass to where you want it, the bass knob controls the looseness of the amp.

Personally, I run in tweed power, simulclass, pentode, and harmonic mode and I get singing clear chords. I used to favor mid gain mode, but harmonic mode is fuller, to me.

Spent some time with it tonight just getting used to the controls. I will have to work on it more tomorrow, including trying more of your suggestions. I'm not falling in love with it right away but need to work with it more. It has a lot going on.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25
Spent some time with it tonight just getting used to the controls. I will have to work on it more tomorrow, including trying more of your suggestions. I'm not falling in love with it right away but need to work with it more. It has a lot going on.

What are you having trouble getting out of it? not enough gain? bass? treble?
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Very useful info, thanks. I did get the small combo, but since it's just for home it's plenty loud.

How do you feel about R2? I seem to see many people don't like it much. I'm not too concerned because assuming the R1 takes pedals as well as I hope, I could have the Plexitone set for most of my crunchy tones. I'm REALLY hoping the Plexitone sounds as good through the Mark IV as it did through the JSX.

get a timmy and put everything at noon. orgasmic gain channel. i use it more than i use my lead channel. i have the thrid channel just setup as LOG, so i only use it occasionally but with the right tweakage the second channel is a beast.

i have the long head and love it. K100's go with it very well IMO.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #28
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

i honestly like it until i had it for a few weeks, then slowly tweaking the knobs over times gets you better. you gotta be patient with this amp. honestly i would print out the manual, because some knobs affect more than one thing.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Deadpool_25

Okay, I tweaked around on it some more and got some pretty good tones out of R2. Though they sound pretty good, and I got distracted from tweaking and found myself riffing out a little, I'm still not in love. And I know it's an awesome amp. Honestly I just might not be a Mesa guy. Then again, I've only had it for a day so I want to keep playing around on it.

I spend a lot of last night just cleaning it up, getting the dust out, wiping it down, etc. Other than the right-most EQ slider being broken off (still useable) and a few scuffs on the tolex it's in fantastic shape.

Oh and it came with the original manual and a few other papers. Inspection tag too.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
get a timmy and put everything at noon. orgasmic gain channel. i use it more than i use my lead channel. i have the thrid channel just setup as LOG, so i only use it occasionally but with the right tweakage the second channel is a beast.

i have the long head and love it. K100's go with it very well IMO.

What's a timmy? EDIT: Oh...an OD pedal. I have a couple nice ODs. I'll try them in front and see what's what. I have been going straight into the amp to get a feel for it before trying any pedals.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 01-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
LaidBack
Call me Mike

The Mark IV is a finicky amp. When I tried it in GC (only for a few minutes) I wasn't able to get many good tones out of it....merely passable. But I bet the more you tweak, the more you understand all the interactions between teh controls, and the better your tone becomes.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #32
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Okay, I tweaked around on it some more and got some pretty good tones out of R2. Though they sound pretty good, and I got distracted from tweaking and found myself riffing out a little, I'm still not in love. And I know it's an awesome amp. Honestly I just might not be a Mesa guy. Then again, I've only had it for a day so I want to keep playing around on it.

I spend a lot of last night just cleaning it up, getting the dust out, wiping it down, etc. Other than the right-most EQ slider being broken off (still useable) and a few scuffs on the tolex it's in fantastic shape.

Oh and it came with the original manual and a few other papers. Inspection tag too.

i think i may have mentioned it, but i really didn't like mine the first week or two, you slowly get it to taste and you will likely be happy.

just keep turning those knobs.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Deadpool_25

Meh. Nice amp. Just kinda complicated. I like simple. I'm not patient enough. I guess that's why I liked the JSX so much. Very simple and very versatile. And sounded great overall. Thanks for all your input guys. I will keep working on it.

P.S. To complicate matters even more I was driving by a different GC and turned around to take a look at what they had used. They have a Tremoverb in awesome shape. Played it for 5 minutes and had great tones on both modes on both channels.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #34
Deadpool_25

So after a longer session with the Tremoverb, I decided to see if they'd trade me for the Mark IV. They wanted $1000 for the TOV; I paid $700 for the Mark IV yesterday. After a bit of a haggle, I paid a bit over $100 more and took the Tremoverb.

The Mark IV was damned nice. I'm sure with time I could have come to really like it a lot, but I fell for the Tremoverb right away. It sounds ****ing awesome. I love the cleans, it puts out sweet blues tones, and the higher gain stuff is great...From initial impressions, I like it quite a bit better than the Mark IV, though I admit I didn't give the Mark IV much of a chance. The Tremoverb does have a few switches, but overall it is much simpler to use than the Mark IV.

Hopefully I'm done ampwhoring for a while.

So...if anyone has any thoughts about the Tremoverb, feel free to share.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Tremoverb is the other side of the mesa family. You have rectifiers and the Mark series.

I like the tremoverb, it's my favorite rectifier amp (other than the Road Kings, except that amp is damn heavy). It's a shame they made you pay more for it though, should have been the other way around, IMO, but it's still a great amp. My favorite incubus tones come from that amp.
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
Deadpool_25

I'm stoked about giving it a workout later tonight. I agree about the money...I was hoping for a straight across trade but I expected they'd try to get some cash out of me. They actually tried for quite a bit more...of course. The guys at the GC I usually go to tend to treat me better since I go in there fairly often. Still, Though I wasn't planning on flipping it, I ended up making money on the CL deal even on a trade in. And ended up getting a mint Tremoverb for around $800. Not bad I guess.

Which Incubus tones are you referring to?
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
I'm stoked about giving it a workout later tonight. I agree about the money...I was hoping for a straight across trade but I expected they'd try to get some cash out of me. They actually tried for quite a bit more...of course. The guys at the GC I usually go to tend to treat me better since I go in there fairly often. Still, Though I wasn't planning on flipping it, I ended up making money on the CL deal even on a trade in. And ended up getting a mint Tremoverb for around $800. Not bad I guess.

Which Incubus tones are you referring to?

Most of Mike's tones is using the tremoverb.
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #38
Deadpool_25

Cool. Didn't know that. Incubus is one of those bands I like but have never looked up any gear stuff.

1960 Cab is gone to a new home...just got the Tremoverb all cleaned up (wasn't much to do). It looks almost new. They stopped making them quite a while ago, didn't they? It was well taken care of for sure. It also has EL34s in it. I didn't notice that in the store.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #39
Deadpool_25

I picked up a set of 6L6s. I kind of want to get it back to about the stock sound at least as an experiment. I can always swap the EL34s back in later if I want.

My question now is whether or not I should even bother with the JSX now.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Rate This Thread: