Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
stratforlife

tuning problems

my G and B strings apparently always lose its tune, I never had this problem before. I bought new d'aadrrios .10 strings to change my stock strings and now I have this >.<
stratforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

How long has it been since you changed them? New strings need to stretch in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
stratforlife

5 days from now
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
monwobobbo

make sure the strings are going straight thru the nut. I assume by you name you have a strat. also check the string tree as it may be crooked once again causing binding.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
rybread3

The strings themselves can be kinked. But since it's just the two strings I think stretching the strings properly would be best.
rybread3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
stratforlife

how will I stretch them? will they stretch themsleves?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
rybread3

You pull on them steadily, but firmly. There is a good way to angle your arm, but it would be hard to explain in text. The Justinguitar website had a video on changing strings a few years ago. In that he explained it. I don't know if it is still up. You can also just play the strings and wait for them to stretch. They will stretch on their own in time. Did you get my friend request? I can answer more questions, if you have them.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
stratforlife

thank you my friend. I guess Im just gonna wait till the strings sort theirselves out. I had always thought its the tuning peg which has problem
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
jpnyc

Pull up on the strings at the twelfth fret to stretch them out. Just keep doing it and retuning until the dont stretch any more. Or tune up half a step and leave it overnight.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

1. correct restringing
pic
E,A,D-one wrap under, one over and rabbit goes through the hole between the strings on the opposite side. This locks the string when you tune up

G,B,E- two under, one over...same procedur as above

2. Nutjuice
graphite or lead shavings&vaseline in your nut grooves and saddle grooves....it lubricate for your string and stops it from catching on anything

3. tune up
give your strings a bend and retune a half step higher...do some scales and then tune DOWN to correct tune
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Papabear505

If you've got enough wraps on the pegs, and your nut or bridge isn't moving around, and the strings are new... Keep playing and retuning until they stop stretching... New strings stretch.. You can pull on them to accelerate the process, but it's going to happen anyway... Just Play it..

Not that big a deal...
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
rybread3

The tuning to half a note higher was interesting. The tuning might just fall back to normal after playing for a bit. The bending is better I think as it's more uniform. In playing I use some strings more than others. And the stretching is faster. Both methods require you to play the strings in a little.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybread3
The tuning to half a note higher was interesting. The tuning might just fall back to normal after playing for a bit. The bending is better I think as it's more uniform. In playing I use some strings more than others. And the stretching is faster. Both methods require you to play the strings in a little.

...its good practice to always tune down......keeps you in pitch longer, make sense really cause Ive never heard of a guitar going sharp when it goes out of tune?!?!...unfortunatelly its a bitch to remember after 20 odd years of tuning up ;-)

Rate This Thread: