Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
LedZergling
Banned

BOSS MD-2 vs MT-2

Whats the difference between these? They both seem to be for metal, although at first glance the MD-2 seems to get better ratings and is a little cheaper. What's up with that? Post your experiences with these please. Also, will these things suck for anything else than metal? Will I be able to use them for much lighter stuff?

Also, who has experience with the keeley ds-1 mod? Is it worth the $75 to mod it? Brand new it is $130, but I figure I can get a DS-1 off ebay for 25 bucks, and mod it for 75 so that I can say $30. Do you think it would be possible to get a master of puppets(most distortion ill ever need) tone if I scoop the mids and turn the gain up on it? And does it seem to handle lighter stuff too?
LedZergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
MoneyForNothin'

Both the MT-2 and MD-2 are one-trick ponies, and both of the tricks are bad. The MT-2 has a coll EQ section, but it's very harsh and artifical sounding, without suffieicent bass. The MD-2 has tons of bass, but turns your tone to immediate sludge, it doesn't have enough definition for metallica. The DS-1 is a very versatile pedal and in front of the gain channel on your Peavey could get a reasonable approximation of a Master of Puppets tone. The Keeley mod is definately worth it if you have the cash, but if you don't the DS-1 will certainly serve you better than either of the other 2 pedals.
MoneyForNothin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
MurderOfCrows
UG Newbie

you could also try the line 6 uber metal...its got 3 different types of metal distortion based around certain metal bands...its a pretty good pedal and it has a noise gate...gets pretty close to master of puppets tone to my ear...give it a shot at a guitar store
MurderOfCrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
DodgeThis
Les Paul & Metallica Fan!

Quote:
Originally posted by MurderOfCrows
you could also try the line 6 uber metal...its got 3 different types of metal distortion based around certain metal bands...its a pretty good pedal and it has a noise gate...gets pretty close to master of puppets tone to my ear...give it a shot at a guitar store

The Uber metal is no different than the MT-2. Both are lacking the "desirable" metal chug,chug,chug. All they give is a ching,ching,ching.

I would really look into modding the mt-2 by robert keeley.

Modded MT2
Digitech RP200A
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Keeley modded Metal Zone
Keeley DS-1 Distortion Ultra
DodgeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Mascot
UG Addict

I wouldn't buy either unless they were professionally modded by Keeley. ( Or some other good modder. )
Mascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
kirks sucessor
UG Guitarist

get the zakk wylde overdrive. boosting the gain channel on ur classic will definietely get u atleast close to that mop tone. i just got it and i love it.
kirks sucessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
LedZergling
Banned

Will a modded MT-2 get me that MOP tone? The problem is that I hear the MT-2 and metal pedals aren't really good for anything else. Meaning that I wouldn't really be able to turn down the gain or anything to get a less harsh tone.

That's why I was considering a keeley modded DS-1, I hear they have better bass response, a switch for more distortion, and a better distortion range.

What do you guys think?
LedZergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
gpderek09
GainZilla

the mt-2 is great if you can find the right settings. the rumors are true more the most part but if you take the time to dial the right tone it its amazing. its pretty much for GnR gain range on up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
gpderek09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Hypnot1st
Tap Master

I have the MD-2, and it does not sound like sludge.
I guess for what you want I would recommend the MT-2 modded by Keeley.
The DS-1 might not be enough for what you want, but I don't know that well. They can't be as expensive as you say right? 130USD? That doesn't sound right.

I just checked, they are 40USD new
Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
ibanezguitars44

i have a mt-2. i think its awesome. that dude is right, u have to take some time to dial in a good sound. but if u can be patient u can get some good metal and classic rock sounds. it doesn tend to be more on the heavy side tho, but like i said u jus gotta play around with it

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #11
Haggard_Cky

u cant get classic sounds out of the MT-2. all its good for is metal. and its not to great at that. i plan on getting my modded. i never have just the MT-2 on by itself i always have to have another distortion pedal to boost it and give it more bass so it sounds good. get the keeley
Haggard_Cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
bobisinsane

just wonderin cause all you guys say modded wat doest that mean???
bobisinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #13
gpderek09
GainZilla

Quote:
Originally posted by InanezGuitars44
i have a mt-2. i think its awesome. that dude is right, u have to take some time to dial in a good sound. but if u can be patient u can get some good metal and classic rock sounds. it doesn tend to be more on the heavy side tho, but like i said u jus gotta play around with it

weird because i get a great metal tone outa mine. its not great for classic rock type stuff. but it can do it.

^^ modding means changing components, upgrading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
gpderek09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I heard some guy doing some really nice blues with the MD-2...
...and I've been stuck with my unmodded MT-2 for dUCKING TWO YEARS, never got any truly unharsh tone out of it (and I experiment all the time)... Maybe the problem is in my vypyr, but since DS-1 did some really god job on it before I sold it, I call it on the Metal Zone.

James Hetfield once said in the interview:
>I'd have to say the BOSS MT2 is the heaviest distortion known to man...
(http://www.amptone.com/g153.htm)

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
ibanezguitars44

Nice! 7 year necrobump hahahahaha

Makes it even worse because I actually liked the mt2 when this thread was made. Crazy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I wonder which one TS got.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
ch1ng_chung

One word: MXR Metal Fullbore

Tried one of these at GC while I was looking for the golden overdrive tone. It was the polar opposite of smooth, classical drive. I hated the tone.

That said, it did produce the most defined and bass-heavy metal tone I had ever heard, and I would expect all metal players who've tried it to instantly fall in love.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
Makes it even worse because I actually liked the mt2 when this thread was made. Crazy.

yeah every time i see a really old thread bumped i open it with trepidation

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: